Advice please.

Old August 7th 10, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leigher

Default Advice please.

Hello,

I do hope this is being posted to the correct group. If not - I'm
certain I'll be advised accordingly.

We used to have a caravan and were members of the CC when the kids were
living with us. They grew up and left and we resorted to more usual
holidays.

Now we want to try a two berth campervan (I hope that isn't a bad word
in this group). We recently visited NZ and found loads there, almost
every one being rented by a Brit or other European. And it looked great
fun. So we want to try it out for a week in October.

Therefore - I'd be grateful for any recommendations on the pitfalls of
hiring a camper van in the UK and also an idea of rental costs. Looking
at websites there appears to be a huge range in price and lots of
reviews - favourable and unfavourable. Any recommendations on the most
reliable/good service hire companies would be very useful. We live in
the West Country.

I hope not everyone is on holiday right now :-)). Looking at the ng.
there appears to be steady activity so I'm hopeful of a response - even
if it's telling me where to go:-))

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
--
Tom W.
Deepest Dorset
Old August 7th 10, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel

"Leigher" wrote in message
[...]

Tom:

There is a separate Usenet group for motorcaravaners:

uk.rec.motorcaravans

You might have more responses there.

Nigel.

Old August 7th 10, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tom Withycombe

In message , Nigel
writes

"Leigher" wrote in message
Hello,

I do hope this is being posted to the correct group. If not - I'm certain
I'll be advised accordingly.

We used to have a caravan and were members of the CC when the kids were
living with us. They grew up and left and we resorted to more usual
holidays.

Now we want to try a two berth campervan (I hope that isn't a bad word in
this group).

SNIP

I hope not everyone is on holiday right now :-)). Looking at the ng. there
appears to be steady activity so I'm hopeful of a response - even if it's
telling me where to go:-))

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom:

There is a separate Usenet group for motorcaravaners:

uk.rec.motorcaravans

You might have more responses there.

Nigel.

Thanks Nigel,

I have approached that ng too but it seems relatively inactive with most
posts in June, a couple in July and 1 on August 2nd. Perhaps they're all
on holiday:-))

No worries .... I'll glean the info somehow. Thanks again.

Tom W.
--
Tom Withycombe
Milck House
Old August 7th 10, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Tom Withycombe" wrote in message
In message , Nigel
writes

"Leigher" wrote in message
[...]

Tom

There are other NG's that you could check

Don't ask me which , I have an aversion to various forums that "NEED"my inside
leg measurement to gain access

However , much of the activity slows at this time of year , we're all away !!

As the Yanks would say , doing East Anglia this time ;-))

Hope you find your answers

--
DieSea

Old August 8th 10, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leigher

In message , DieSea
writes

"Leigher" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you! Ironically Norfolk nature reserves will be the focus of our
week when we get it going. Sounds as if all I need to do is to follow
the still warm trails :-)
--
Tom W.
Deepest Dorset
Old August 8th 10, 07:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

You can also try the Forum section at www.practicalcaravan.com

For what its worth I would make three points: firstly most
motorhomes (that's what we call them) are quite large and our
roads are not, plus low bridges. You also have to be careful over
what your licence permits you to drive, although with a grown-up
family your licence is probably not an issue.

Secondly you will have to have some other means of getting
around. In the UK, because of bay sizes and height barriers it is
often not practical to take a such a vehicle into an urban area
as you will have difficulty parking. They have a different
attitude on the continent ( and I would guess the same in NZ and
the USA/Canada) and provide specific motohome parking areas near
town and city centres where it is possible to stay, not just
park.

Finally the ridiculous price of motorhomes in the UK. A typical
unit, even a small one, new, will set you back to thick end of
30K or much more. Compare this with a two-berth caravan - which
will give you much more flexibility - at less than half that.
Motorhomes are all based on a van chassis so will be costly on
fuel at all times. With a car and caravan you will only be
getting relatively poor mpg when towing. I would suggest it is a
no brainer.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old August 8th 10, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pat Clapham

On 07/08/2010 17:15, Leigher wrote:
[...]

We have recently been checking out hiring mtorhomes for a friend. If
you put Motorhomes for hire + the county you live in into a search
engine it will give you all the local suppliers - we found lots for
Lancashire.

Depending on time of hire charges seemed to be between 250 and 700 gbp
per week for the size of vehicle you want. They are NOT all monsters as
seems to be implied by an earlier reply , but also come in the campervan
style you are referring to.

Give it a try and good luck!

Pat
Old August 8th 10, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leigher

In message [email protected], Woody
writes

You can also try the Forum section at www.practicalcaravan.com

[...]

Very good points Woody - for which I thank you.

I couldn't agree more with you on the size of some of the motorhomes
around these days. But we're not thinking of a Winnebago or anything
large. We'd use one of them or another RV in the US/Canada - but not up
the West Coast of Scotland or in Devon's lanes. We would consider either
a small four berth (to accommodate the odd foray with grandchildren) or
a two berth. Nothing which would require us to deeply consider bridges,
parking etc. And ease of reversing is, to both my wife and I, a bonus. I
did find it difficult to accurately reverse our caravan (when we had one
some 20+ years ago) and my wife never attempted it. I know that in this
group I am therefore somewhere between a wimp and a wuss:-))

I couldn't agree more with you on the cost! The disparity between that
of a campervan (which I equate more to a motortent than to motorhome)
and a caravan is outrageous. OTOH it should have the beneficial effect
of making me a more organised and tidy person and instil some
self-discipline in me, sadly lacking at present! This would be greatly
welcomed by Senior Management - another benefit.

However, we have decided no more that to test the product by hiring one
for a week in Norfolk during migration time. What happens after that is
largely dependent upon our experiences. We'll see!

Thank you too for the tip on the website Forum which I will investigate
today.
--
Tom W.
Deepest Dorset
Old August 8th 10, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne[_3_]

I know of at least 3 web forums that mainly deal with motorhomes.

Out and About Live
Motorhome Fun
Motorhome Facts

I am sure a Google will take you to them.

David

Old August 8th 10, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leigher

In message [email protected], Pat Clapham
writes
[...]

Thanks Pat. We're gradually getting there but I suspect it's a minefield
unless personal recommendations are received. We'll see. Thanks again.
--
Tom W.
Deepest Dorset