Mobile broadband overseas

Old August 12th 10, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DartMan

Default Mobile broadband overseas

My son is planning to visit Australia via Dubai and, I think,
Singapore later this year and will take his laptop.
Somewhat unusually for a son (!), he's asked me if I know the best way
he can access emails and the web whilst there and, I don't really
know.
Naturally I've heard about dongles but can't advise.
Can you, please ...
Old August 12th 10, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"DartMan" wrote in message
My son is planning to visit Australia via Dubai and, I think,
Singapore later this year and will take his laptop.
Somewhat unusually for a son (!), he's asked me if I know the best way
he can access emails and the web whilst there and, I don't really
know.
Naturally I've heard about dongles but can't advise.
Can you, please ...

Out of the UK dongles are not cheap

Check on the various mobile phone sites

WiFi Access might be the way to go

--
DieSea

Old August 12th 10, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel

"DartMan" wrote in message
My son is planning to visit Australia via Dubai and, I think,
Singapore later this year and will take his laptop.
Somewhat unusually for a son (!), he's asked me if I know the best way
he can access emails and the web whilst there and, I don't really
know.
Naturally I've heard about dongles but can't advise.
Can you, please ...

Frequent McDonalds & Starbucks - free Wife.

Nigel.

Old August 13th 10, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dribbler[_2_]

"DartMan" wrote in message
My son is planning to visit Australia via Dubai and, I think,
Singapore later this year and will take his laptop.
Somewhat unusually for a son (!), he's asked me if I know the best way
he can access emails and the web whilst there and, I don't really
know.
Naturally I've heard about dongles but can't advise.
Can you, please ...

My son toured the USA, Canada, and Japan the cheap way (well, cheap for
him!). Always staying in the cheapest hostels he could find, the vast
majority, if not all, had internet and computer available.
I stayed in Singapore en route to Australia and the internet was advertised
everywhere - free even in the cheapest hotels too. Australia very much
depends on where he is going, obviously in the middle of the bush etc....
However, every city, every suburb and everywhere there is a population will
have the internet available. I'm sure backpackers are the bread and butter
of many an internet cafe - which seem to be every few yards in Brisbane for
example.
My own thoughts are that he should not take his laptop. He'll get fed up of
carrying it around, he'll be so careful he doesn't damage it and he'll
regret every moment for the use he'll get out of it. Of course it is really
important to him in this country, but away from home, it's importance will
dramatically drop.
My friend has bought a digital camera for her trip to Disneyland, the camera
itself sends the photographs it takes via the free wi-fi which abounds there
(don't ask me how) if it's photo's he wants to send home.
I was getting photographs of my son doing all kinds of things from complete
strangers/fellow travellers he'd asked to email me on his behalf.
Off the point somewhat, as a Mum, I wanted to keep in touch with my sons
exploits. This was the site he used to update me and all his friends back
home; http://blogs.statravel.co.uk/ . It's free, informative and great fun
for them to do!
I wish him all the luck in the world - you too, it isn't easy waving them
off!
Kay

Old August 13th 10, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Nigel
writes

"DartMan" wrote in message
My son is planning to visit Australia via Dubai and, I think,
Singapore later this year and will take his laptop.
Somewhat unusually for a son (!), he's asked me if I know the best way
he can access emails and the web whilst there and, I don't really
know.
Naturally I've heard about dongles but can't advise.
Can you, please ...

Frequent McDonalds & Starbucks - free Wife.

Nigel.

All the home comforts eh?
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old August 13th 10, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 00:46:32 +0100, "Nigel"
wrote:

"DartMan" wrote in message
My son is planning to visit Australia via Dubai and, I think,
Singapore later this year and will take his laptop.
Somewhat unusually for a son (!), he's asked me if I know the best way
he can access emails and the web whilst there and, I don't really
know.
Naturally I've heard about dongles but can't advise.
Can you, please ...

Frequent McDonalds & Starbucks - free Wife.

Nigel.

Wife is never free they are very expensive to maintain.
Bill Lord

Old August 13th 10, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Nigel
writes

"DartMan" wrote in message
My son is planning to visit Australia via Dubai and, I think,
Singapore later this year and will take his laptop.
Somewhat unusually for a son (!), he's asked me if I know the best way
he can access emails and the web whilst there and, I don't really
know.
Naturally I've heard about dongles but can't advise.
Can you, please ...

Frequent McDonalds & Starbucks - free Wife.

Nigel.

All the home comforts eh?
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha

Oops! That's what an automatic spellchecker does for you!

Nigel.

Old August 13th 10, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , bill lord
writes
wrote:

"DartMan" wrote in message
My son is planning to visit Australia via Dubai and, I think,
Singapore later this year and will take his laptop.
Somewhat unusually for a son (!), he's asked me if I know the best way
he can access emails and the web whilst there and, I don't really
know.
Naturally I've heard about dongles but can't advise.
Can you, please ...

Frequent McDonalds & Starbucks - free Wife.

Nigel.

Wife is never free they are very expensive to maintain.
Bill Lord

Quite an initial capital outlay too :-)
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old August 13th 10, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 19:29:56 +0100, hugh ] wrote:

In message , bill lord
writes
wrote:

"DartMan" wrote in message
My son is planning to visit Australia via Dubai and, I think,
Singapore later this year and will take his laptop.
Somewhat unusually for a son (!), he's asked me if I know the best way
he can access emails and the web whilst there and, I don't really
know.
Naturally I've heard about dongles but can't advise.
Can you, please ...

Frequent McDonalds & Starbucks - free Wife.

Nigel.

Wife is never free they are very expensive to maintain.
Bill Lord

Quite an initial capital outlay too :-)

Did you not get the parents to pay for that?

Bill Lord

Old August 14th 10, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tunku[_2_]

"Dribbler" wrote in news:8ckfe2FqasU1
@mid.individual.net:

he should not take his laptop. He'll get fed up of
carrying it around,

The most you need to carry is a usb cable for your camera to d/l photos and
a usb stick with your stuff on it, eg drivers, documents, maps, web mail.
Both will be ok in most PCs you come across.

--
The above post may contain traces of irony