electricity charges

Old September 27th 10, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
A Plumber

Default electricity charges

Hi All,
My friend has recently stayed on a site in Durham, and each hook up had it's
own meter, I've never seen this before, and apparently it is illegal since
2003
to sell electricity at a higher cost that you paid for it.regulated by
ofcom, and the owner read the meter before he hooked up and again when he
left.
The cost of my friends electric for the weekend was 0.80p.
The owner of the site told my friend that since putting in the meters, his
electric bill for the site,has gone down by around 60%.
If what this site owner says is true, then how can C&C club, and others,
legally charge us members 3.50 per night for electric?

Has anyone heard of this before, and should we all be boycotting the C&C
club sites

Old September 27th 10, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"A Plumber" wrote in message
o.uk...
Hi All,
My friend has recently stayed on a site in Durham, and each hook up had it's own
meter, I've never seen this before, and apparently it is illegal since 2003
to sell electricity at a higher cost that you paid for it.regulated by ofcom,
and the owner read the meter before he hooked up and again when he left.
The cost of my friends electric for the weekend was 0.80p.
The owner of the site told my friend that since putting in the meters, his
electric bill for the site,has gone down by around 60%.
If what this site owner says is true, then how can C&C club, and others, legally
charge us members 3.50 per night for electric?

Has anyone heard of this before, and should we all be boycotting the C&C club
sites

The Caravan Club don't

Their pitch fee is inclusive of electricity unless thing have altered in the last
couple of months

A site I use in North Norfolk charge 1.50 a night which I think is fair

What I think was totally unfair was the 3 sites owned by the Dumfries and
Galloway Council charge 3.00 per night and if you ran more than 1.5 KW the trip
blew and they were not around to unlock the box a reset the trip for 20 hours a
day and certainly not available over week ends.

They tell me they're not doing winter season pitches , I wonder why ??

I don't know the legalities and this was discussed at some length a few months
back on this news group , but when the Caravan Club brought in the inclusive pitch
fee I think they mentioned at the time it had now become illegal to charge
separately for Electricity

We spent 3 months on and off over winter at the Castle Douglas Site visiting for 5
or 6 days every other week

Even though temperatures reached -12 degs C we coped well with a couple of 110 AH
leisure batteries and a 19 Kg calor propane bottle

The prices of calor up there are stupid , I think we used a couple of 19 bottles
and one smaller bottle that was used as a stand by

There is a site in East Yorkshire that a couple or so years ago was gearing up to
have separate pay as you go meters but haven't been back there yet

--
DieSea

Old September 27th 10, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JTM

In article
, A
Plumber wrote:
If what this site owner says is true, then how can C&C
club, and others, legally charge us members 3.50 per
night for electric?

Probably get away by selling us a service and access to
power points

Old September 27th 10, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , A
Plumber writes
Hi All,
My friend has recently stayed on a site in Durham, and each hook up had it's
own meter, I've never seen this before, and apparently it is illegal since
2003
to sell electricity at a higher cost that you paid for it.regulated by
ofcom, and the owner read the meter before he hooked up and again when he
left.
The cost of my friends electric for the weekend was 0.80p.
The owner of the site told my friend that since putting in the meters, his
electric bill for the site,has gone down by around 60%.
If what this site owner says is true, then how can C&C club, and others,
legally charge us members 3.50 per night for electric?

Has anyone heard of this before, and should we all be boycotting the C&C
club sites

There was legislation introduced a while ago and was much discussed in
here.
Basically it was aimed at landlords ripping off their tenants but
unfortunately caravan sites got swept along with it.

So yes it is illegal to separately charge a fixed amount for
electricity. The C&CC were I believe the first to come up with different
categories of pitches, one of which happened to include electric hook-up
but it wasn't identified as a separate charge.
ISTR the CC initially set about providing hook-up to every pitch but I
think they now have a few sites with lower grade pitches which do not
include hook-up.

I could of course easily be wrong.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old September 28th 10, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
les[_2_]

Recently stayed at a site (camping and caravan club site) on the isle
of arran and they charge 3-4.50
http://www.bridgendholidaysshiskine....camp_site.html

We never quibbled and really enjoyed our holiday.

Suppose if sites charge the hookup within the price the people who
dont need them will still pay and that would be unfair.

Probably if we had of been metered rather than a fixed charge we would
have not paid as much as we only used the kettle and to charge the
battery (have 12v lighting)

Old September 28th 10, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

On 28/09/2010 09:22, les wrote:
Recently stayed at a site (camping and caravan club site) on the isle
of arran and they charge 3-4.50
http://www.bridgendholidaysshiskine....camp_site.html

We never quibbled and really enjoyed our holiday.

Suppose if sites charge the hookup within the price the people who
dont need them will still pay and that would be unfair.

Some do and won't consider a reduction. That is unfair. As one who can't
rather than doesn't wish to use the electricity it's doubly hurtful.
They don't get my business.

Old September 28th 10, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith

"A Plumber" wrote in message
o.uk...
Hi All,
My friend has recently stayed on a site in Durham, and each hook up had
it's own meter, I've never seen this before, and apparently it is illegal
since 2003
to sell electricity at a higher cost that you paid for it.regulated by
ofcom, and the owner read the meter before he hooked up and again when he
left.
The cost of my friends electric for the weekend was 0.80p.
The owner of the site told my friend that since putting in the meters, his
electric bill for the site,has gone down by around 60%.
If what this site owner says is true, then how can C&C club, and others,
legally charge us members 3.50 per night for electric?

Has anyone heard of this before,

Yes. I put 2x 50p in a meter, it hadn't run out when I left after four
nights.
and should we all be boycotting the C&C

"Recovery of infrastructure costs" seems to figure in their justification.
Others view it more as a new revenue stream.
club sites

Old September 28th 10, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message
, les
writes
Recently stayed at a site (camping and caravan club site) on the isle
of arran and they charge 3-4.50
http://www.bridgendholidaysshiskine....camp_site.html

We never quibbled and really enjoyed our holiday.

Suppose if sites charge the hookup within the price the people who
dont need them will still pay and that would be unfair.

Indeed it would which is why the clubs argued against the legislation
and then looked around or ways to avoid that.
Probably if we had of been metered rather than a fixed charge we would
have not paid as much as we only used the kettle and to charge the
battery (have 12v lighting)

Probably less than one unit (kw/hr)
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old October 3rd 10, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:00:55 +0100, "A Plumber"
wrote:

If what this site owner says is true, then how can C&C club, and others,
legally charge us members 3.50 per night for electric

The CC include the cost of electricity in their pitches and for the
very few pitches that they have which do not have electric access they
designate those pitches as economy pitches, which are always small
grass pitches in some corner or other. The CCC get around it by
selling you a seviced pitch or a non serviced pitch and not specifying
what services are available at that pitch, it can be just hard
standing, just electric or both or even in some cases they have a bit
of extra plumbing.
Bill Lord