Noise from generators - measuring.

Old September 27th 10, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tim[_7_]

Default Noise from generators - measuring.

Probably been discussed before but.....I have been looking for adult
only cls which are not very common around say Cambridge but having
found one you then discover no hook ups.Looking on ebay you can now
buy small generators 650 to 850 watt average for under £100. I hate
noise so wouldnt inflict it on others so need to know/ understand what
the noise figs they quote equate to. So when they say 65db or 73db is
that like a loud motorbike, a lawnmower or a bubbling stream? What
sort of fig is reasonable. I have progressed from 12V B W TVs and big
batteries so dont really want to go down that path but the freedom it
would give to have portable 240 V is very tempting. Any info welcome.
Tks
Old September 27th 10, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Tim" wrote in message
Probably been discussed before but.....I have been looking for adult
only cls which are not very common around say Cambridge but having
found one you then discover no hook ups.Looking on ebay you can now
buy small generators 650 to 850 watt average for under £100. I hate
noise so wouldnt inflict it on others so need to know/ understand what
the noise figs they quote equate to. So when they say 65db or 73db is
that like a loud motorbike, a lawnmower or a bubbling stream? What
sort of fig is reasonable. I have progressed from 12V B W TVs and big
batteries so dont really want to go down that path but the freedom it
would give to have portable 240 V is very tempting. Any info welcome.
Tks

Depends what you want out of life time

A lot of the "cheap" generators a VERY , VERY noisy

I've got one , its a pig to get started and I use it to charge a battery which
then feeds an inverter

I only use it in the "Middle Of No Where"

What I do have is a couple of 110 AH leisure batteries one sits in the boot of the
car and gets charged

The other is in the caravan

My lad has a live a board narrow boat which has all electric mod cons which is
powered solar panels and a vertical wind turbine

Ok , he has a large bank of batteries , but seldom needs to run the engine to give
him power

I've managed to survive the last winter in Scotland when the temperatures dropped
to minus 12 centigrade and beyond using Propane gas and leisure batteries

If you maintain your leisure batteries keeping them topped up and charged properly
they're cheaper than a genny and can still run TV's and laptops
--
DieSea

Old September 28th 10, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Tim wrote:
Probably been discussed before but.....I have been looking for adult
only cls which are not very common around say Cambridge but having
found one you then discover no hook ups.Looking on ebay you can now
buy small generators 650 to 850 watt average for under £100. I hate
noise so wouldnt inflict it on others so need to know/ understand what
the noise figs they quote equate to. So when they say 65db or 73db is
that like a loud motorbike, a lawnmower or a bubbling stream? What
sort of fig is reasonable. I have progressed from 12V B W TVs and big
batteries so dont really want to go down that path but the freedom it
would give to have portable 240 V is very tempting. Any info welcome.
Tks

I have both a Honda generator, £expensive, which is quiet, powerful and
gives a good steady output and also have a £40 Makro special .. which isn't
and doesn't.

I now only use the small one in very rare circumstances. The biggest
problem for powering TV's and Laptops etc off the smaller generators is that
the output isn't steady, anywhere from 100 to 300 volts, depending on the
state of tune of the engine. As the engines are (mostly) 2 stroke, they're
fairly easy to keep in tune, but messy and need fettling often. They also
don't like running for a few hours, then storing for a few weeks/months and
then being run for a few hours. The carbs bung up, needle valves clog etc
etc.

The Honda 'just works' with almost no fettling other than a change of oil
every three years or so ...

--
Paul - xxx

mobile ...

Old September 28th 10, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 27/09/2010 23:48, Tim wrote:
Probably been discussed before but.....I have been looking for adult
only cls which are not very common around say Cambridge but having
found one you then discover no hook ups.Looking on ebay you can now
buy small generators 650 to 850 watt average for under £100. I hate
noise so wouldnt inflict it on others so need to know/ understand what
the noise figs they quote equate to. So when they say 65db or 73db is
that like a loud motorbike, a lawnmower or a bubbling stream? What
sort of fig is reasonable. I have progressed from 12V B W TVs and big
batteries so dont really want to go down that path but the freedom it
would give to have portable 240 V is very tempting. Any info welcome.
Tks

As others have said, the sob-£100 generators are very noisy and don't
produce a clean enough output for most electronic gear.

The minimum acceptable would something like
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...ype-generators
if you can't afford the genuine Honda generator.

--
Cheers,
Roger
Old September 28th 10, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message
, Tim
writes
Probably been discussed before but.....I have been looking for adult
only cls which are not very common around say Cambridge but having
found one you then discover no hook ups.Looking on ebay you can now
buy small generators 650 to 850 watt average for under £100. I hate
noise so wouldnt inflict it on others so need to know/ understand what
the noise figs they quote equate to. So when they say 65db or 73db is
that like a loud motorbike, a lawnmower or a bubbling stream? What
sort of fig is reasonable. I have progressed from 12V B W TVs and big
batteries so dont really want to go down that path but the freedom it
would give to have portable 240 V is very tempting. Any info welcome.
Tks

Whatever noise level it is it will be irritating to many people on the
site. Concorde taking off was about 130db ISTR, similar to a night club
disco. You are probably in the lawn mower range. Hondas have a
reputation for quiet running but I am not sure if it is wholly deserved.

It is generally considered acceptable to run a generator early evening
to charge up your batteries but it is very much a personal thing as to
whether it is annoying or not. You say you hate noise yourself so I
think that solves your dilemma
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old September 28th 10, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tim[_7_]

On 28 Sep, 11:37, hugh ] wrote:
In message
, Tim
writesProbably been discussed before but.....I have been looking for adult
[...]

Thanks for all your input and it looks like a genny is not the way
forward. Been looking at solar panels but need some lessons about
inverters and all that stuff. Can anyone point me to an online source
of education? (Not Wiki plse)
Tks
Old September 28th 10, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:48:37 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

Probably been discussed before but.....I have been looking for adult
only cls which are not very common around say Cambridge but having
found one you then discover no hook ups.Looking on ebay you can now
buy small generators 650 to 850 watt average for under £100. I hate
noise so wouldnt inflict it on others so need to know/ understand what
the noise figs they quote equate to. So when they say 65db or 73db is
that like a loud motorbike, a lawnmower or a bubbling stream? What
sort of fig is reasonable. I have progressed from 12V B W TVs and big
batteries so dont really want to go down that path but the freedom it
would give to have portable 240 V is very tempting. Any info welcome.
Tks

First point to bear in mind is that cheap generators are much noisier
than than the more expensive ones.

The standard by which all small suitcase type generators should be
judged is the(no longer available) Honda EX650, which gave a noise
emission figure of I believe 79dBA measured at a distnce of 4 metres.
All noise emision figures these days are quoted in dBA measured at 7
metres. Obviously the distance from the machine makes a big
difference, and using conversions from other Honda specification
sheets, the EX650 figures for a distance of 7 metres were in the low
40's dBA.

Since the demise of the EX650, I believe no small suitcase generator
has been specified quieter, when you consider that this figure was
for the machine running at full output power, unlike the figures now
given for some machines running at a quarter of full output!

Carefully placed, one of these machines could be easily undetected
running during the day with normal daytime noise on a busy site -
However, at nightitme this is a different matter when just about any
engine can be heard.

I would not run a generator after about 5:00pm on any site unless I
was completely alone. What I will do though is run a battery charging
generator either a Honda ED300 or ED400 for about an hour during the
noisiest part of the day to charge my 110 Ah battery back up to full.
For two of us in the 'van during any season this is sufficient to keep
us in 12volt electricity indefinitely without the need to run the car.
Our power usage is the usual switched water pump, the lighting, most
of which I have replaced with LED units or fluorescents, all the phone
car chargers, other battery chargers for walkie talkies, camera etc.,
plus the 12inch flat screen TV, and the satellite TV receiver kit for
an average of maybe 3 hours per night.

For me a solar panel would be of limited use as we do tend to use
forest sites and other well tree shaded sites.

Hope that helps a little.

Neil

Old September 29th 10, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tim[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

Thats sounds extremely interesting. Is that an old machine as couldnt
seem to find it? What sort of output does it have?Would it run an
inverter for a laptop??
Tks
Old September 29th 10, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 04:02:55 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

[...]

In answer to your questions:

Yes, both are quite dated now(ED300 obsolete in the 80's, 400 obsolete
in the 90's), and sadly there are no equivalents that I am aware of.
The ED300 has charging outputs of 6, 12 and 24volts(nominal) and
adjustable charge current up to 19Amps. The ED400 has charging
outputs of just 12 and 24volts(nominal) and adjustable charge current
up to 17Amps, and it is slightly bigger but quieter. They are both
quieter than a cheap 2 stroke suitcase geny!

Being constant current generators, they can charge a battery MUCH
faster than a taper current charger - But must be monitored so as not
to overcharge the battery!

Directly, it would not be suitable to power an inverter, as the
current draw of an inverter varies directly with the load on the
output, and as such the generator voltage would rise and fall, and may
damage the inverter. But with a small lead/acid battery connected as
a reservoir, it would work.

Occasionally they appear on eBay but no often. If you're interested,
and live not too far from Coventry, you could come and see(and hear)
mine. For that matter you could also have a listen to a mint Honda
EX650!

Neil

Old September 30th 10, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tim[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the offer but regretfully i live in Rochester although i do
have family n your area.I will keep my eyes open for such a machine
but sound quite rare to find a decent example. There is currently a
small clarke genny 700 w on ebay which was tempting me but by the
sound of it (pun intended) it will not be worth buying.