Cost of Electric Hook Up

Old October 5th 10, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Lacey

Default Cost of Electric Hook Up

I've just read the previous thread regarding hook up costs. We've just
spent a week on a Forest Holiday site in Scotland and the pitch fees
for low season we

Basic site - 11
Pitch with hook up and/or hardstanding - 16

As they insisted that they didn't have basic pitches the actual cost
was 16.

However applying the "oldies discount" of 30% gave a price of 12.70
and not 11.20 as expected. They charge 70% of the Basic fee plus 5.
This looks suspiciously like a 5 charge for electricity!

As there wasn't any difference in cost between grass and hardstanding
other than the hook up the extra must be for electricity.
Extortionate!

Nice site though.

Jim Lacy
Old October 5th 10, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 05/10/2010 15:58, Jim Lacey wrote:
I've just read the previous thread regarding hook up costs. We've just
spent a week on a Forest Holiday site in Scotland and the pitch fees
for low season we

Basic site - 11
Pitch with hook up and/or hardstanding - 16

As they insisted that they didn't have basic pitches the actual cost
was 16.

However applying the "oldies discount" of 30% gave a price of 12.70
and not 11.20 as expected. They charge 70% of the Basic fee plus 5.
This looks suspiciously like a 5 charge for electricity!

As there wasn't any difference in cost between grass and hardstanding
other than the hook up the extra must be for electricity.
Extortionate!

Nice site though.

Jim Lacy

A word with Trading Standards may not come amiss!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old October 6th 10, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
A Plumber

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
[...]

Blimey, that is far more than I pay for a 3 bedroom house, as I posted
earlier
us 'vanners are being ripped of, as they say it's rip off Britain. Perhaps
a call to
Trading Standards might help our cause.

Old October 7th 10, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

In , Jim Lacey
said:
I've just read the previous thread regarding hook up costs. We've just
spent a week on a Forest Holiday site in Scotland and the pitch fees
for low season we

Basic site - 11
Pitch with hook up and/or hardstanding - 16

As they insisted that they didn't have basic pitches the actual cost
was 16.

However applying the "oldies discount" of 30% gave a price of 12.70
and not 11.20 as expected. They charge 70% of the Basic fee plus 5.
This looks suspiciously like a 5 charge for electricity!

.... and for the extra work to lay on electricity and for providing
hardstanding. If you didn't like the price you have the opportunity to
leave ....

As there wasn't any difference in cost between grass and hardstanding
other than the hook up the extra must be for electricity.
Extortionate!

Hardly. What's the difference in providing a grass pitch and a hardstanding
pitch? Preparation, cement/gravel, upkeep, drainage etc.

You have the choice to stay or not. As you stayed a week it can't have been
as extortionate as you suggest.

Nice site though.

So not all bad then.

--
Paul - xxx

mobile ...

Old October 7th 10, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
A Plumber

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
In , Jim Lacey
said:
[...]

But the C&CC are supposed to be none profit making, for it's members,
looking after the sites come out of the membership fee's
5 a night electric is still a big rip off, and there is no way a caravan
can use that much in a day.
And on the C&CC site at Scarborough, the hardstanding was the plastic mesh
stuff, that you see in some country park car parks.
The grass still grew through it, no cement/gravel etc

Old October 7th 10, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

In o.uk, A Plumber
said:
"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
In , Jim Lacey
said:
[...]

What's that got to do with this thread? The OP didn't specify any club
site, just a 'Forest Holiday' site ..

Do you think that hardstandings cost nothing to put in and run then? Even
the plastic ones? We have a car park at my school that uses plastic mesh,
it still needs upkeep and maintenance ... and the cost of installing it was
fairly expensive compared to leaving it as grass.

--
Paul - xxx

mobile ...

Old October 7th 10, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
In o.uk, A Plumber
said:
"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
In , Jim Lacey
said:
[...]

I can point you to a small family run commercial site

The cost of their pitches this year was 9.00 pn and electric was charged at
1.50 pn

I've just had an email from them saying that because of the increase in VAT on Jan
1st 2011 they've had increase their prices to 10.00 pn for a pitch and 2.00 pn
for electric

Now that is not a club site run for the benefit of its members

Oh and by on that site the way most pitches have a water supply to the pitch and
waste water
facilities to the pitch

They don't charge any extra for these facilities if you use them

I'm not a member of the Caravan and Camping club

I've found that on the half dozen or so sites of theirs I've visited their wardens
seem to want to be Control Freaks

Its a great pity that the Forestry Commission handed their sites to that club its
ruined what were some fairly reasonable sites

I now tend to use the five van sites , but even some of those seem to think they
can charge the earth and provide a very minimum of facilities

--
DieSea

Old October 7th 10, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

"DieSea" wrote in message

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
In o.uk, A Plumber
said:
"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
In , Jim Lacey
said:
[...]

Frankly I don't care what a site charges .. I either go there or don't,
charges rarely come into it!

Having said that, this year in Cornwall high season highest price we paid
was 12 a night .. Mind, this was electric pitches on grass but no
shower/toilet facilities on site, but we have our own. The most we've
paid this year was 52 for three nights at Tewkesbury Caravan Club site, on
the way back from Cornwall.

--
Paul - xxx

mobile ...

Old October 7th 10, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Lacey

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 09:53:17 +0100, "Paul - xxx"
wrote:

In , Jim Lacey
said:
[...]

You are overlooking the fact that I said the grass pitches and
hardstanding pitches that had hook ups were the same and were charged
at the same rate. If the hardstanding construction costs were taken
into account then thatb would have been reflected in the price - but
wasn't!

You have the choice to stay or not. As you stayed a week it can't have been
as extortionate as you suggest.

No other site in the area we needed to be in.

Nice site though.

So not all bad then.