Keeping the water tank fresh

Old June 22nd 10, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
OG

Default Keeping the water tank fresh

Earlier in the year we filled the fresh water tank for a weekend camping. A
couple of months later, we were away again, so I topped it up before we
went, but the water came out slightly stale and tainted.

Given that there's no drain cock on the tank other than through the tap into
the bowl, what's the usual way of keeping the fresh water tank nice and
clean inside?

Old June 23rd 10, 01:02 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary[_5_]

"OG" wrote in message
Earlier in the year we filled the fresh water tank for a weekend camping.
A couple of months later, we were away again, so I topped it up before we
went, but the water came out slightly stale and tainted.

Given that there's no drain cock on the tank other than through the tap
into the bowl, what's the usual way of keeping the fresh water tank nice
and clean inside?

We just use tap water stored in bottles for drinking/cooking/veg rinsing and
sterilise them before the first use of the holiday. We empty the used
sterilent out of the bottles into the empty tank, drive back forwards for a
moment or 2 to slosh it around the tank (recycling again) then empty out
just before the first fill with fresh water. But we only use tank water for
washing and flushing the loo. Judging by others at the campsites a lot/most
of them do much the same, some having tapped gallon containers instead. To
be honest I just don't fancy drinking from the tank (or teeth cleaning) even
if i'd used one of the proprietory cleaners first. I wouldn't use that water
for young children, elderly or infirm either.

The water companies don't recommend storing tap water for more than a couple
of days (without adding water treatment tabs etc) as the bug killing
properties of chlorine don't last, then from that point the bacteria and
moulds will start to multiply, so once the tank was cleaned at the start of
your break, you'd need to empty fully every couple of days and refill to
maintain the cleanliness. In hot weather conditions it would deteriate
quicker. And you'd need to do that at the start of every trip if its
potable (drinking) water you want. All very wasteful of water and so much
easier with bottles.

Old June 29th 10, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
OG

"Hilary" wrote in message

"OG" wrote in message
Earlier in the year we filled the fresh water tank for a weekend camping.
A couple of months later, we were away again, so I topped it up before we
went, but the water came out slightly stale and tainted.

Given that there's no drain cock on the tank other than through the tap
into the bowl, what's the usual way of keeping the fresh water tank nice
and clean inside?

We just use tap water stored in bottles for drinking/cooking/veg rinsing
and sterilise them before the first use of the holiday. We empty the used
sterilent out of the bottles into the empty tank, drive back forwards for
a moment or 2 to slosh it around the tank (recycling again) then empty out
just before the first fill with fresh water. But we only use tank water
for washing and flushing the loo.

Thanks for the advice.
I can see all that makes sense.