Low Mileages

Old July 3rd 10, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
fwe

Default Low Mileages

Motorhomes are supposed to have a low depreciation due to the "low annual
mileages they cover" to quote one motorhome dealers site.
However my dealer who I am in dispute with about an engine fault has
provided the following statement " we are aware that low mileage in a
vehicle can contribute to or exacerbate problems rather than reduce the
likelihood of them occurring"
So what does this do for the pre owned values if a low mileage one is as
likely to suffer breakdowns as high mileage ones in which it would be more
expected

Old July 3rd 10, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
aiden

On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 12:11:56 +0100, "fwe" wrote:

Motorhomes are supposed to have a low depreciation due to the "low annual
mileages they cover" to quote one motorhome dealers site.
However my dealer who I am in dispute with about an engine fault has
provided the following statement " we are aware that low mileage in a
vehicle can contribute to or exacerbate problems rather than reduce the
likelihood of them occurring"
So what does this do for the pre owned values if a low mileage one is as
likely to suffer breakdowns as high mileage ones in which it would be more
expected

After 5 years - regardless of mileage, rubber-type componernts will
probably need replacing - tyres, cambelts, water hoses etc. These
items deteriorate with time - regardless of age. Make sure, if buying
from a dealer that these type of items have been assessed.

Old July 3rd 10, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
aiden

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 12:45:45 +0100, aiden
wrote:

On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 12:11:56 +0100, "fwe" wrote:

Motorhomes are supposed to have a low depreciation due to the "low annual
mileages they cover" to quote one motorhome dealers site.
However my dealer who I am in dispute with about an engine fault has
provided the following statement " we are aware that low mileage in a
vehicle can contribute to or exacerbate problems rather than reduce the
likelihood of them occurring"
So what does this do for the pre owned values if a low mileage one is as
likely to suffer breakdowns as high mileage ones in which it would be more
expected

After 5 years - regardless of mileage, rubber-type componernts will
probably need replacing - tyres, cambelts, water hoses etc. These
items deteriorate with time - regardless of age. Make sure, if buying
from a dealer that these type of items have been assessed.

Ooops - meant regardless of mileage - age is creeping over me too ;-}
Old July 3rd 10, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
fwe

Thanks Aiden, yes I was aware of the situation of the parts you refer to.
The garage does an annual service based on its age and not mileage.
In my case it is a main engine component which is costing 2000 which I
would pay if I had been told its failure at this mileage is not abnormal.
Should it have gone, garage "no not really", base vehicle maker " we would
have expected this part to have lasted longer", component maker "it does
seem to have gone early"
All verbal comments of course.

news

Old July 3rd 10, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
hugh

In message , fwe
writes
Thanks Aiden, yes I was aware of the situation of the parts you refer to.
The garage does an annual service based on its age and not mileage.
In my case it is a main engine component which is costing 2000 which I
would pay if I had been told its failure at this mileage is not
abnormal.
Should it have gone, garage "no not really", base vehicle maker " we
would have expected this part to have lasted longer", component maker
"it does seem to have gone early"
All verbal comments of course.

Engines do not fail other than as previous poster has mentioned, due to
low mileage although you may get problems due to NO mileage over a year
or two.

My motorcaravan has don 600 miles in 2 years, my wife's Polo has done
25000 in 6 years. Her Renault 5 did 4000 in 10 years. One Land Rover did
96000 in 10 years and another 5000 in 5 years. None of these suffered
any engine component failures.

However I don't think you've said
How old the vehicle is? What is the component that has failed?
Did the dealer offer any warranty? How long since you bought it?

--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old July 3rd 10, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
fwe

I am having a bit of a problem here as my own postings are not appearing
just the replies.
The van is 05 with 20,000 miles , the timing solenoid failed, was replaced
and the van travelled 20 miles home.
Two days later the van was started twice to turn it around to prepare for a
trip.
Next day the engine would turn but not fire now resulting in needing a fuel
pump which the main dealer states is a knock on effect from changing the
timing solenoid which I was told could happen but independent engineer
cannot understand this.
The van was purchased in 2007 and is covered by the Sales of Goods Act.
The motorhome dealer is held responsible but their liability decreases over
six years.
This is the fourth van I have owned, same make, and the other three have
been trouble free apart from little niggles

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , fwe
writes

Old July 4th 10, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
hugh

In message , fwe
writes
I am having a bit of a problem here as my own postings are not
appearing just the replies.
The van is 05 with 20,000 miles , the timing solenoid failed, was
replaced and the van travelled 20 miles home.
Two days later the van was started twice to turn it around to prepare
for a trip.
Next day the engine would turn but not fire now resulting in needing a
fuel pump which the main dealer states is a knock on effect from
changing the timing solenoid which I was told could happen but
independent engineer cannot understand this.
The van was purchased in 2007 and is covered by the Sales of Goods Act.
The motorhome dealer is held responsible but their liability decreases
over six years.
This is the fourth van I have owned, same make, and the other three
have been trouble free apart from little niggles

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , fwe
writes
[...]

IMHO the dealer is talking ********. The sooner you register your claim
the better.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old July 5th 10, 07:46 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
aiden

snip
IMHO the dealer is talking ********. The sooner you register your claim
the better.

Agreed - unfit for purpose - SOGA; sue the dealer.