Questions from a newbie

Old August 7th 10, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Leigher

Default Questions from a newbie

Hi,

We used to have a caravan when the kids were living with us. They grew
up and left and we resorted to more usual holidays.

Now we want to try a two berth campervan. We recently visited NZ and
found loads there, almost every one being rented by a Brit or other
European. And it looked great. So we want to try it out for a week in
October.

So - I'd be grateful for any recommendations on the pitfalls of hiring a
camper van in the UK and also an idea of rental costs. Looking at
websites there appears to be a huge range in price and lots of reviews -
favourable and unfavourable. Any recommendations on the most
reliable/good service hire companies would be very useful. We live in
the West Country.

I hope not everyone is on holiday right now :-)). Looking at the ng.
There appears little or no activity in the group since mid July.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
--
Tom W.
Deepest Dorset
Old August 8th 10, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
hugh

In message , Leigher
writes
[...]

I've only hired one once, many years ago. More recently a dealer loaned
me one because of delays in delivery on one I had ordered.

You have answered one of your questions yourself prices vary quite a lot
- but on the whole you get what you pay for.

I would look for one near to home, fetching and returning is dead time.

Inspect the vehicle before committing. Larger dealers will have more
choice. Apart from insurance, I would also check on breakdown cover. If
you are banking on your own, just check it includes motor homes. VW
style camper vans should not be a problem

Check the appliances thoroughly and record and report any failures.
Check what gas supply if any is included in price.

HTH
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old August 8th 10, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Leigher

In message , hugh
] writes
[...]

Many thanks Hugh. Very helpful.
TWW
--
Tom W.
Deepest Dorset
Old August 9th 10, 01:13 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary[_5_]

"Leigher" wrote in message
Hi,

We used to have a caravan when the kids were living with us. They grew up
and left and we resorted to more usual holidays.

Now we want to try a two berth campervan. We recently visited NZ and found
loads there, almost every one being rented by a Brit or other European.
And it looked great. So we want to try it out for a week in October.

Hi there,

There should be some paperwork to show that a habitation check has been
carried out. Its a basic check to make sure that everything is working, but
more importantly they check the safety stuff, heating, cooking and gas
equipment for safety before the first let of the season. I think if it's
hired its done 2 or more times a year.

You should also check that there are in date fire extinguishers and fire
blanket if there is cooking equipment on board. Also check batteries in the
smoke detector, co2 and gas monitors if fitted.

We always travel with some tinned (can opener) and non perishable stuff for
back up meals in case you stop too late to get to a shop or pub. You'll also
want to provide your own drinking water containers. We bought the 2 litre
value supermarket spring water bottles and then refill with drinking water
on site.

I hope you have a good holiday in October.

Old August 9th 10, 06:53 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Leigher

In message , Hilary
writes

"Leigher" wrote in message
[...]