caravan to car angle

Old July 13th 03, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Glenn Clark

Default caravan to car angle

Hi All,

I would like to put my caravan on my drive, the problem is that the top of
the drive to the road is at and angle. Can anyone tell me the angle that a
car and caravan can go up to without the unit coming uncoupled, when I say
angle I mean as in caravan dropping away quite steep before the vehicle
comes on to the drive.

Thanks all

Glenn

Old July 13th 03, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mark Pewsey

In ,
Glenn Clark wrote:
| Hi All,
|
| I would like to put my caravan on my drive, the problem is that the
| top of the drive to the road is at and angle. Can anyone tell me the
| angle that a car and caravan can go up to without the unit coming
| uncoupled, when I say angle I mean as in caravan dropping away quite
| steep before the vehicle comes on to the drive.

I would have thought that you would be more at risk of grounding the
caravan chassis before you force the ball out of the hitch, if the angle
is that severe. Would you be able to tow the 'van back up if the slope
is too steep?

Why not buy another tow ball - they are only a few quid - and fit it in
the hitch. You should then be able to manipulate it to match the angle
of the drive.

I suspect that different makes of hitch, and possibly balls, would have
some variation in the angle they will go to in extremis, but probably
all within a few degrees of each other.

Mark