Had enough of the rat race. Full time vanning anyone?

Old December 20th 10, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Pendragon

Default Had enough of the rat race. Full time vanning anyone?

Good morning all.

I'm young retired and currently single. Fed up with being stuck in the
same place renting and have real itchy feet. I quite fancy full time
touring. Maybe staying a month on one site then moving on etc. Maybe
one day find a really nice site which will let me stay full time.

I have been camping, caravanning and motorhoming. Too old for full
time camping now and I find motorhomes too expensive and too much
maintenance. I think for around 3k I should get a really nice caravan
(tow with 1800 focus) and if it all goes tits up I have not lost
anything. If that happens I can just hit the rental market again.

I'd like to go UK mainly with some occasional Europe inc Ireland.

Must have access to Broadband, which I know is difficult on the road,
so maybe whatever the best service is out there for roaming?

Any thoughts people?

Many thanks in advance.
Old December 20th 10, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
A Plumber

"Pendragon" wrote in message
[...]

I'd do europe if I was you, so much more to do and see, and you don't get
ripped off all the time.
sites normally better too, better weather. France has got very expensive
though. We like southern spain
and they do deals for long time stays. Also lots of sites down there have
wi-fi infact Malaga is a wi-fi city
very nice to visit also.

Old December 21st 10, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Lunar475

On Dec 20, 6:01*pm, "A Plumber" wrote:

[...]

Pikying with nobs on?
Old December 21st 10, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
harry pleavin

"Pendragon" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, the Mediterranean coast to the south of Spain is fine for the winter
months and you're right, it gets quite cheap the longer you stay. Northern
and southern Ireland are both beautiful but very different. If you go over
to the Emerald isle stay as long as you can and ignore the rain. Holland is
great in the spring and France the early summer. Autumn - no contest-
Scotland, Northumberland and north Yorkshire. Blissful, but I really like
coming home now and then. Harry

Old December 22nd 10, 12:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary[_5_]

"A Plumber" wrote in message

"Pendragon" wrote in message
[...]

The biggest problem with having no fixed abode is beaurocracy. A lot of the
the full timers we met (and there are a lot more of them than you think)
either have a room/annex at one of the childrens houses or a small house in
spain, a few choose france but its cheaper and less hassle in spain, I was
told.

You can no longer have a post office box unless you have a permanent
address.

You can't legally obtain a tv licence unless you have a permanent address,
if you don't live at that address viewing the tv in the van is illegal and
they do raid campsites apparently. No licence will get you a large fine if
caught obviously, even if they prevented you buying one. If you buy your
licence at the kids address and anyone is watching tv when you are in the
van that's an offence as well. You can't have 2 licences for one dwelling
and if its the granny annex you have to have one, but would probably need a
rent book to prove separate accomodation.

You will have similar problems with a driving licence.

If you are using someones address, it will probably stir the pot if said in
laws are claiming anything from rent/council tax rebate, most families are
on tax credit these days, or any of the means tested social benefits. The
way they look at it is, if you are living with the family or using their
address (same thing to them) then you should be contributing and the family
should get less. Using the address for your pension may be as problematic.

Even if you go totally paperless, the banks need an address for card
renewals or if the card gets cancelled because a batch of numbers including
yours has been compromised. Usually the new card is automatically sent out
to the registered address, if its bounced from there (not know at this
address etc) the account will be frozen.

Doctors and dentists. Now we only did it for an extended holiday for 6
months between selling and buying, so what we did was just not tell them.
Repeat prescriptions were posted to a relative who dropped them in the
surgery, then the relative collected the prescriptions and sent them to the
campsite we were on at the time. Urgent appointments were just done under
the holiday rules.

Insurance. Most camper insurances have a small amount of contents cover. But
when you are full timing you have all sort of things with you that you don't
normally take away with you. We only found one who were able to give us
enough cover. The bulk of our stuff was in storage. When you have home
contents insurance a lot of the time you are covered for temporary storage,
theres a bit of a grey area as to when the cut off applies but certainly for
6months plus we needed a separate insurance.

A lot of sites are getting or have wifi over here now. 5 years ago when we
were doing it the situation wasn't so good. The only real option was a 3g
phone set up but the coverage was and still is only good in big towns. I
paid for a bt wifi set up with so many free hours a month which looked good
in principle, but most participating motorway retailers site their wifi
centered in the restaurant with little or no bleed over to the car park, so
the reality was that you at least had to purchase tea and cakes for 1 (8 in
one place) to be able to use it. So was really too expensive to enjoy. If
you log on and purchase time online, The Cloud did the best deal with a card
that only expired when used up. A lot of the others are only valid for
24hrs. week or month depending on how much you buy, even if you haven't used
the units.

We did initially contemplate buying an american van and go full time. It
seems to work best if you have a small cottage or flat in spain, which we
didn't want to do, partly because we travel with 2 elderly dogs, and a
couple of cats and apart from the passport scheme being expensive it's very
glitchy. And partly because we wanted to continue exploring over here. To be
honest although we enjoyed the freedom, and still enjoy going off when we
want, but it was a frustrating experience.