Forums...

Old December 23rd 10, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Darren Bull

Default Forums...

Has the Forum killed the news group??

Old December 23rd 10, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David P

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:46:01 +0000, Darren Bull wrote:

Has the Forum killed the news group??

Only for the less discerning.

Old December 23rd 10, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Kewley[_3_]

In message , Darren Bull
writes
Has the Forum killed the news group??

What forum? Am I behind the times as usual?
--

Jim
Old December 24th 10, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

wrote:

Has the Forum killed the news group??

Just 'cos I'm not speaking, doesn't mean I'm not listening!

Neil - who's just bought himself a tentipi )

Old December 25th 10, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne[_3_]

I think it self evident! I usually look in here everyday or so and in the
last few months there have been weeks without any posts. On the other hand
one forum I belong to, as does Bill, you get as many posts in a day as you
do here in a month. Most of those posts are also meaningful topics. I also
suspect that there are many newcomers to the caravan internet who may not
know the existance of usenet. You are more likely to get flamed on usenet
where as forums are moderated and perhaps people feel more comfortable under
those conditions. I belong to a very long established e-mail caravanning
group which has been in existance for over 10 years in one form or another
but if it was not for the base membership being there from way back it would
have died long ago and most of the posts are not about caravanning anymore!
Please don't misunderstand what I am saying as you can get some really good
advice on here.

David

Old December 25th 10, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , David
Klyne writes
[...]

On the other hand the moderators can censor views at will and there's
nothing you can do about it.

I can't be bothered to go hunting round forums all the time. Usenet
posts arrive automatically.

I'll put up with a bit of flaming, I think it's quite amusing and the
tedious people you can killfile.

But I think you are right about one thing - many people now don't know
about usenet. The cheapest ISPs probably don't offer it or not f-o-c.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old December 25th 10, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Darren Bull wrote:

Has the Forum killed the news group??

Nope.

Mind, that depends on 'the forum' ... there are loads of caravanning
forums to suit different tastes.

Trouble is, not many people know about Usenet. Many ISP's only support
it in a limited form and do little to nothing to encourage it's use.

From another POV, many forums 'look' good to many users, and actually
are good. There are the magazine style adverts, some banter, you can
dip in, take what you want, and don't have to interact .. many are very
welcoming and informative. Many run meets and rallies and are
basically mini-clubs.

Last Usenet meet I went to I arranged (different newsgroup) and only
three people turned up out of 12 that had arranged to be there ....

Last forum meet I went on (not caravanning) everyone turned up!

It seems it's the way forward .... but I'll still be here for a while
yet ..

--
Paul - xxx
Old December 25th 10, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 16:57:49 -0000, "David Klyne"
wrote:

[...]

I started to read other forums a couple of years ago, but this is my
first port of call every day, and I check the usenet groups that I
subscribe to several times a day. As Roger says usenet is far easier
to use, the messages come in quicker, they are available all the time
and are sorted into threads much better than any online forum. They
also have the advantage that there is no moderation, which means that
I can say exactly what I feel ( as long as it is true and honestly
felt ) without wondering whether someone is going to take offence.

The forum that David referred to is Caravan Talk and in the main the
moderation on there is very light handed and as long as people are
polite then anything goes, they do not remove anything else not even
messages that are critical of the way the forum is run. This contrasts
completely with another forum that both David and I read
UKcampsite.co.uk where the moderation is impersonal, intrusive, and
inconsistent, messages and threads regularly simply disappear with no
explanation and no response to requests for information. Wo betide
anyone who mentions any of their pet subjects, any mention of Ladys
Mile Caravan Site is likely to lead to someone being banned, and there
other subjects that I avoid like the plague.

On the plus side there are many members on both forums who are
helpful, friendly and just like the members of this group.

I find that if messages appear on here and I have something to offer
on the subject that I am likely to respond simply because the serial
reading method that my newsreader uses means that I see every message
whether I read them all or not. However, on the forums I see only
those messages that I deliberately choose to read and I am sure that
were the presentation of the messages more like we have here that I
would be posting far more times than I do at the moment.

As others have said usenet is not widely supported by modern day ISP's
and so the vast majority of people take no part, their experience is
coloured only by what they see and there is no impetus to seek other
media on which to communicate. Probably in the end the number of
readers of groups such as this will decline to a very small number
simply because of the lack of support, which is a pity since usenet
used properly is a vastly superior experience to the one available on
the web. When on dialup to be able to log on download a load of
messages and then log off whilst I read them was brilliant. However,
the advent of widespread availability of broadband renders this medium
a little obsolete.

Bill Lord

e-mail messages to bill dot lord at tunshill dot co dot uk
Old December 27th 10, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JTM

In article , Paul -
xxx wrote:
Darren Bull wrote:

Has the Forum killed the news group??

Nope.

I think that although there are more computer users these
days, more of them are ignorant of the possibilities. It is
easier to follow the 'easy' route using the lowest common
tools as pushed by MicroSoft and forums fit the bill. Other
users who know about Usenet are put off by the trolls and
flame wars.

Mind, that depends on 'the forum' ... there are loads of
caravanning forums to suit different tastes.

Trouble is, not many people know about Usenet. Many
ISP's only support it in a limited form and do little to
nothing to encourage it's use.

Even some long term users don't know about free providers
like 'eternal-september' 'aioe.org','sunsite.dk' etc who
each provide a much better service than some of the UK ISP's

From another POV, many forums 'look' good to many users,
and actually are good. There are the magazine style
adverts, some banter, you can dip in, take what you want,
and don't have to interact .. many are very welcoming and
informative. Many run meets and rallies and are
basically mini-clubs.

[snip]

Old December 27th 10, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Cole

wrote:

[...]

I have to agree with Bill & Hugh. This group has been quiet and the forums
have been getting used.

I suspect that new users are unaware of Usenet (does your ISP advertise it?
or even host a few groups?) and that forums can be found easily in Google.

Richard
--
http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk
....and so, as Old Father Time is finally traced to an address in