Central heating - Any Good?

Old February 1st 11, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

Default Central heating - Any Good?

Was looking at the new Baileys recently - as you do this time of year.
The latest top of the range have no gas fire but central heating
instead. The advantage of the extra cupboard space is immediately
obvious but I wonder if anyone here has any experience yet of these
system.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old February 1st 11, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne[_3_]

No personal experience but many people speak very highly of the Alde heating
system. I have seen many posts where buyer of new caravans would like it as
an option rather than it just being available on the higher ranges.

David

Old February 2nd 11, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Appelation Controlee

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 16:23:45 +0000, hugh ] wrote:

Was looking at the new Baileys recently - as you do this time of year.
The latest top of the range have no gas fire but central heating
instead. The advantage of the extra cupboard space is immediately
obvious but I wonder if anyone here has any experience yet of these
system.

We took delivery of a new Unicorn Valencia two weeks ago and, the
following day, went on a two-night proving trip to a CL about an
hour's drive from home. Weather was quite cold (just above freezing).

We were very comfortable in the caravan, and temperature was easy to
regulate via the program control panel. While I didn't take any
measurements, the heating system was able to bring the space to the
selected temperature quickly enough, and the temp was held stable,
with no noticeable cycle variations.

At that point I hadn't read the manual, and had only the benefit of
the handover briefing from the dealer, but it was easy enough - and
quick - to select temperatures we wanted for daytime, evening and
overnight.

Having since put in some RTFM time, I've found that there are options
to pre-set temperatures according to time of day, as well as setting a
delayed start for the heating system.

We were using the 16A mains hookup on the site. The program control
has a feature that allows you to limit the current draw where only a
lower rated supply is available.

I have to qualify this by admitting that this is our first foray into
caravanning for 24 years so, as things have changed quite a bit, we
might as well be regarded as newcomers to the craft. I therefore can't
offer meaningful comparisons, especially as this caravan is
considerably better appointed than the one we had back in the
eighties.

Anyway, on the strength of experience gained so far, we're confident
about setting out on a 300-mile journey next week, with an overnight
journey break included.

I'll make a point of trying out gas operation of the heating system
during this trip.
Old February 3rd 11, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 02/02/2011 20:32, Appelation Controlee wrote:
On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 16:23:45 +0000, ] wrote:

I'll make a point of trying out gas operation of the heating system
during this trip.

So what are the components of the system, and how does it work?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old February 3rd 11, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Roger Mills
writes
On 02/02/2011 20:32, Appelation Controlee wrote:
On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 16:23:45 +0000, ] wrote:

I'll make a point of trying out gas operation of the heating system
during this trip.

So what are the components of the system, and how does it work?

Radiators, water, dual fuel heater, timer, thermostat, pump?
Very slim boiler mounted in bathroom cupboard. Skirting type radiators
mounted in under-bed lockers, plus controls. Water (?) filled presumably
with an antifreeze. Dual fuel so it can run on mains hook-up or gas.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old February 3rd 11, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Appelation Controlee

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 13:44:21 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

On 02/02/2011 20:32, Appelation Controlee wrote:

I'll make a point of trying out gas operation of the heating system
during this trip.

So what are the components of the system, and how does it work?

Its core is the boiler - an Alde Compact 3010 - described here (which
also provides hot water):

http://allegoric.us/ib3zcT (the manual can be downloaded here too,
so I won't quote from it).

Circulation is much the same as the water-circ system you probably
have at home, but the radiators (probably these:
http://allegoric.us/fLqX90 ) are concealed in vented trunking, or
behind bed/seating. I managed to contact one of the circ tubes with
my arm - ouch - when reaching around in the far recess of the
underseat locker at the front.

Circulation of the heat from the rads is by convection.

There's an expansion tank at the back of a wardrobe, and fluid (40%
glycol solution) is added here when required.

The control panel is shown here - http://allegoric.us/gjLu4W - and the
manual is downloadable so, again, I won't quote or re-write what's
already in there.
Old February 3rd 11, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Appelation Controlee

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 15:52:30 +0000, hugh ] wrote:

In message , Roger Mills
writes
On 02/02/2011 20:32, Appelation Controlee wrote:
On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 16:23:45 +0000, ] wrote:

I'll make a point of trying out gas operation of the heating system
during this trip.

So what are the components of the system, and how does it work?

Radiators, water, dual fuel heater, timer, thermostat, pump?
Very slim boiler mounted in bathroom cupboard. Skirting type radiators
mounted in under-bed lockers, plus controls. Water (?) filled presumably
with an antifreeze. Dual fuel so it can run on mains hook-up or gas.

The boiler is under the offside front seat.
Old February 3rd 11, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Interesting - thanks!
--