Info needed on a trip to france

Old February 5th 11, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea[_2_]

Default Info needed on a trip to france

SHMBO is talking about another trip to France

I think it will be for 3 weeks , sometime between mid April and mid June

Does any one have and information about tolls and twin Axles

Norfolk Lines via the Caravan Club seems to have some good deals from Dover /
Dunkerque

Roundabout 100.00 return for a 7 meter twin axle and a Disco

The site around Le Mans will take a twin axle and has vacancies

Any pointers would be helpful

We've been to France a time or two but never with a "big monstrosity"

Thanks in advance

--
DieSea

Old February 6th 11, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
harry pleavin

my 'monstrosity' is only 7.2 metres long and that causes enough problems.
Don' know about France but pitches in holland very tight with cars often
parked away from van.

Old February 6th 11, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea[_2_]

"Harry Pleavin" wrote in message
my 'monstrosity' is only 7.2 metres long and that causes enough problems. Don'
know about France but pitches in holland very tight with cars often parked away
from van.
"DieSea" wrote in message

Thanks Harry

Looking at the price of diesel in France it looks like the saving will pay for the
ferry fare !!

I had looked at the Portsmouth to Caen route , but at the time we wanted to
travel it trebled and more in costs compared to Dover / Dunkerque

--
DieSea

Old February 6th 11, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

"DieSea" wrote in message

Thanks Harry

Looking at the price of diesel in France it looks like the saving will pay for the
ferry fare !!

I had looked at the *Portsmouth to Caen route , but at the time we wanted to
travel it trebled and more in costs compared to Dover / Dunkerque

--
DieSea

Most 'Camping Municipals' bar twin axle outfits - the 'Travellers' all
have these.
Old February 6th 11, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea[_2_]

"Lunar475" wrote in message

"DieSea" wrote in message

Thanks Harry

Looking at the price of diesel in France it looks like the saving will pay for
the
ferry fare !!

I had looked at the Portsmouth to Caen route , but at the time we wanted to
travel it trebled and more in costs compared to Dover / Dunkerque

--
DieSea

Most 'Camping Municipals' bar twin axle outfits - the 'Travellers' all
have these.

Thanks Lunar

I have heard of that one

But I'm told that if you book a site via the Caravan Club "that" problem doesn't
exist

On the other hand when I come to book with the site I'm thinking of via email I
will make sure they admit twin axles

I always told her wot must be obeyed that "big monstrosities " of twin axles were
not a good idea

But then I prefer a peaceful life :-((((((((

--
DieSea

Old February 6th 11, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

On Feb 6, 3:10*pm, "DieSea"
wrote:
"Lunar475" wrote in message

On Feb 6, 11:27 am, "DieSea"

"DieSea" wrote in message

[...]

Had one once - the only 'big wobble' we've had (so far!) was with that
"big monstrosity". Well matched outfit, stabiliser fitted and it just
went - at 45mph and gently accelerating!
After repair it was 'nicked' by a Pikey and recovered by a sharp eyed
copper within 12 hours. We sold it shortly afterwards....... I'd NEVER
have another one!
Old February 6th 11, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea[_2_]

"Lunar475" wrote in message
DieSea

Had one once - the only 'big wobble' we've had (so far!) was with that
"big monstrosity". Well matched outfit, stabiliser fitted and it just
went - at 45mph and gently accelerating!
After repair it was 'nicked' by a Pikey and recovered by a sharp eyed
copper within 12 hours. We sold it shortly afterwards....... I'd NEVER
have another one!

Got to admit

I've got used to the comfort of a big van

Most of the time we've got it in storage (secure ) in East Anglia then on a
seasonal pitch for 6 months

Total cost about 600.00

If we stored it locally it would be about 400.00 plus vat

We spend 12 days each month away so its a win win situation !!

If it gets nicked or written off it will get replaced with a single axle , come
hell or high water

I think she's learned her lesson !!!!
--
DieSea

Old February 6th 11, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JTM

In article ,
DieSea
wrote:
Thanks Harry

Looking at the price of diesel in France it looks like
the saving will pay for the ferry fare !!

I had looked at the Portsmouth to Caen route , but at
the time we wanted to travel it trebled and more in
costs compared to Dover / Dunkerque

It's more than just the cost though. Although I quite enjoy
driving in France, the trip to Dunkerque from S W France
uses more fuel and tolls than to St.Malo.

But for me the killer is the UK drive. Portsmouth to Lancs
is bad enough especially if I've forgotten and travel on a
Friday, but to Dover; No thanks.

Diesel here is 1.23 euro (when I filled up last week)

John

Old February 6th 11, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea[_2_]

"JTM" wrote in message ...
In article ,
DieSea
wrote:
Thanks Harry

Looking at the price of diesel in France it looks like
the saving will pay for the ferry fare !!

I had looked at the Portsmouth to Caen route , but at
the time we wanted to travel it trebled and more in
costs compared to Dover / Dunkerque

It's more than just the cost though. Although I quite enjoy
driving in France, the trip to Dunkerque from S W France
uses more fuel and tolls than to St.Malo.

But for me the killer is the UK drive. Portsmouth to Lancs
is bad enough especially if I've forgotten and travel on a
Friday, but to Dover; No thanks.

Diesel here is 1.23 euro (when I filled up last week)

John

Hi John

Thanks for the info

We'd be travelling from East Anglia and the difference in mileage is not much more
that 30 miles

(although I bet we live on your doorstep , not too far from that Lordy Fellah !!!)

Having said that the ferry fares are substantially different and our dates
flexible

Dover / Dunkerque return about 120.00

+ Return Tolls + fuel to where we're going about 200.00

Portsmouth / Caen return 550.00

+ Return Tolls + fuel to where we're going about 100.00

Total mileage about double with twice as many days travelling

We're not really bothered about the time scale ,

We took a couple of days extra each way last time and enjoyed France

Thanks again

--

DieSea

Old February 6th 11, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011 23:59:56 -0000, "DieSea"
wrote:

(although I bet we live on your doorstep , not too far from that Lordy Fellah !!!)

Less of the cheek young man please. I might not be contributing but I
am watching. I get amazed at all these wealthy folk who can afford to
drag their monstrosities several hundred miles to supposedly warmer
climes. I can have a fortnights holiday anywhere in the UK for the
cost of the fuel and ferries to get me down to the middle of France. I
think I will let my passport lapse.
Bill Lord

e-mail messages to bill dot lord at tunshill dot co dot uk