Motorhomes- finding specific layouts

Old February 25th 11, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Brian Reay.

Default Motorhomes- finding specific layouts

My wife and I are looking to but a motorhome / motorcaravan.

One thing we've decided, the choice is staggering on a recent trip down the
A1 we stopped by Brownhills and were gobsmacked at the number on display.
Almost too many to take in.

On thing we have decided is the layout we need- a rear U shaped seating
area, a dining area behind the cab with cooking area, and a toilet
bathroom, bed over the cab.

Is there a list anywhere of makers which is sorted by layout?

TIA

Brian

Old February 25th 11, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Brian Reay." wrote in message
My wife and I are looking to but a motorhome / motorcaravan.

One thing we've decided, the choice is staggering on a recent trip down
the A1 we stopped by Brownhills and were gobsmacked at the number on
display. Almost too many to take in.

On thing we have decided is the layout we need- a rear U shaped seating
area, a dining area behind the cab with cooking area, and a toilet
bathroom, bed over the cab.

Is there a list anywhere of makers which is sorted by layout?

I just now put "motorhome layouts" into Google and lots of info. came up.

... and you might get more relevant responses at uk.rec.motorcaravans
Old February 25th 11, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Brian Reay.

"David" wrote in message

"Brian Reay." wrote in message
My wife and I are looking to but a motorhome / motorcaravan.

One thing we've decided, the choice is staggering on a recent trip down
the A1 we stopped by Brownhills and were gobsmacked at the number on
display. Almost too many to take in.

On thing we have decided is the layout we need- a rear U shaped seating
area, a dining area behind the cab with cooking area, and a toilet
bathroom, bed over the cab.

Is there a list anywhere of makers which is sorted by layout?

I just now put "motorhome layouts" into Google and lots of info. came up.

I assume you didn't wade through the results? I did something similar last
night I drew a "blank". The "beginners guides" are vague in the extreme.

I was hoping someone had trodden this path before put perhaps not. I'd have
thought layout was a pretty key feature but perhaps not.

Thanks anyway.

Old February 25th 11, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Brian Reay.

. uk...

.. and you might get more relevant responses at uk.rec.motorcaravans

Thank you, I will have a look.

Old February 25th 11, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Brian Reay.
writes
"David" wrote in message

"Brian Reay." wrote in message
My wife and I are looking to but a motorhome / motorcaravan.

One thing we've decided, the choice is staggering on a recent trip down
the A1 we stopped by Brownhills and were gobsmacked at the number on
display. Almost too many to take in.

On thing we have decided is the layout we need- a rear U shaped seating
area, a dining area behind the cab with cooking area, and a toilet
bathroom, bed over the cab.

Is there a list anywhere of makers which is sorted by layout?

I just now put "motorhome layouts" into Google and lots of info. came up.

I assume you didn't wade through the results? I did something similar last
night I drew a "blank". The "beginners guides" are vague in the extreme.

I was hoping someone had trodden this path before put perhaps not. I'd have
thought layout was a pretty key feature but perhaps not.

Thanks anyway.

Doesn't every manufacturer produce a version of this layout?

--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old February 25th 11, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Brian Reay.
writes
"David" wrote in message

"Brian Reay." wrote in message
My wife and I are looking to but a motorhome / motorcaravan.

One thing we've decided, the choice is staggering on a recent trip down
the A1 we stopped by Brownhills and were gobsmacked at the number on
display. Almost too many to take in.

On thing we have decided is the layout we need- a rear U shaped seating
area, a dining area behind the cab with cooking area, and a toilet
bathroom, bed over the cab.

Is there a list anywhere of makers which is sorted by layout?

I just now put "motorhome layouts" into Google and lots of info. came up.

I assume you didn't wade through the results? I did something similar last
night I drew a "blank". The "beginners guides" are vague in the extreme.

I was hoping someone had trodden this path before put perhaps not. I'd have
thought layout was a pretty key feature but perhaps not.

Thanks anyway.

Buy a copy of Practical Motorcaravcan

PLUS, there’s our essential Buyer’s Guide: a free 132-page
supplement listing more than 1000 new motorhomes, including all their
essential data and up to date prices, along with their floorplans.
Don’t miss out on this essential package!
Unquote.

--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old February 26th 11, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Brian Reay.

"hugh" ] wrote in message

On thing we have decided is the layout we need- a rear U shaped seating
area, a dining area behind the cab with cooking area, and a toilet
bathroom, bed over the cab.

Is there a list anywhere of makers which is sorted by layout?

I just now put "motorhome layouts" into Google and lots of info. came
up.

I assume you didn't wade through the results? I did something similar last
night I drew a "blank". The "beginners guides" are vague in the extreme.

I was hoping someone had trodden this path before put perhaps not. I'd
have
thought layout was a pretty key feature but perhaps not.

Thanks anyway.

Doesn't every manufacturer produce a version of this layout?

I don't know. We've been looking on and off for a few years - this has been
a long term idea- but, while the purchase isn't imminent, we are starting to
get more serious now. We will probably buy next year but, being a major
decision, we want to do suitable research. Our planned use is weekends and
short breaks in the UK, longer breaks in Europe in the shorter term. When we
retire (abt 5 years), much longer trips in Europe. I don't like changing
vehicles- I tend to buy new, although we may buy (very) near new in this
case, and keep for a long time. I'm a great believer in looking after
vehicles.

We visited Brownhills and were gobsmacked at the range on display. We didn't
really have time to do the place justice as we were enroute home from a trip
and needed to get back. We've looked a smaller dealers near home (Kent) and
on-line in the past.

Brian

Old February 27th 11, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Brian Reay.
writes
"hugh" ] wrote in message

[...]

It was a rhetorical question. I would start with the two major groups,
Explorer and Swift and peruse their web sites Presumably you have some
sort of price range in mind.
Up the range you have Franke and Hymer
There are motorhome shows around the country during the year, the next
one is at Shipton Mallett I believe.
Browse local dealers and you'll get the feel for the different levels of
fittings, finish and quality, different engine sizes, auto gearbox, cab
aircon and so on. Size of water tank varies also generally bigger on the
more expensive vans.

But you should switch this thread to uk.rec.motorcaravans.

--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old February 27th 11, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Brian Reay.

"hugh" ] wrote in message
It was a rhetorical question. I would start with the two major groups,
Explorer and Swift and peruse their web sites Presumably you have some
sort of price range in mind.

Thank you, I will have a look.

Up the range you have Franke and Hymer

I'm not keen on the Hymer style but I've not seen a Franke (at least not
that I know of).

There are motorhome shows around the country during the year, the next
one is at Shipton Mallett I believe.

That is bit of trek from Kent but I will look out for one locally.

Browse local dealers and you'll get the feel for the different levels of
fittings, finish and quality, different engine sizes, auto gearbox, cab
aircon and so on. Size of water tank varies also generally bigger on the
more expensive vans.

I'd not got to that level of detail, although someone did mention a
complication over differences between UK and European styles of gas bottle
fitting. So, I will add it to my list.

But you should switch this thread to uk.rec.motorcaravans.

Not much activity there, perhaps they are all away in their motorhomes ;-)
--
73
Brian G8OSN/W8OSN