Milenko leveller - failed

Old March 14th 11, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
harry pleavin

Default Milenko leveller - failed

Had a demo of this in local dealer and bought it; took it home; tried it on
the van. Absolutely useless!! By the time I had turned the ratchet as far as
it would go the van had lifted 1 inch and I nearly had another heart attack.
Thankfully my money was refunded and I hadn't chucked out the old yellow
ramp. Cheers, Harry

Old March 15th 11, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 19:27:09 -0000, "Harry Pleavin"
wrote:

Had a demo of this in local dealer and bought it; took it home; tried it on
the van. Absolutely useless!! By the time I had turned the ratchet as far as
it would go the van had lifted 1 inch and I nearly had another heart attack.
Thankfully my money was refunded and I hadn't chucked out the old yellow
ramp. Cheers, Harry

LOL!

I bought a Lock and Level a long time ago - used it once - and
promptly sold it ASAP. I cam empathise entirely with you.

I'm not suggesting this is the solution for you that it has become for
me, but take a look here, it might give you ideas!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2454731305/

I apologise for the piccies not being chronologically correct but
you'll get the idea.

Neil

Old March 15th 11, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Neil
writes
wrote:

Had a demo of this in local dealer and bought it; took it home; tried it on
the van. Absolutely useless!! By the time I had turned the ratchet as far as
it would go the van had lifted 1 inch and I nearly had another heart attack.
Thankfully my money was refunded and I hadn't chucked out the old yellow
ramp. Cheers, Harry

LOL!

I bought a Lock and Level a long time ago - used it once - and
promptly sold it ASAP. I cam empathise entirely with you.

I'm not suggesting this is the solution for you that it has become for
me, but take a look here, it might give you ideas!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2454731305/

I apologise for the piccies not being chronologically correct but
you'll get the idea.

Neil

You're not seriously suggesting using a hi-lift jack as a levelling
device?
These things are lethal for the uninitiated.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old March 16th 11, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gerard

"Harry Pleavin" schreef in bericht
Had a demo of this in local dealer and bought it; took it home;
tried it on the van. Absolutely useless!! By the time I had turned
the ratchet as far as it would go the van had lifted 1 inch

Strange.
You're supposed to put the thing under the tyre as far as it will go.
The closer the tyre is to the hinge, the less lift you'll get.

If properly used you should get 8 inches of lift, easily.

Cheers, Gerard.

Old March 17th 11, 07:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

wrote:

Had a demo of this in local dealer and bought it; took it home;
tried it on the van. Absolutely useless!! By the time I had turned
the ratchet as far as it would go the van had lifted 1 inch and I
nearly had another heart attack. Thankfully my money was refunded
and I hadn't chucked out the old yellow ramp. Cheers, Harry

I'm not suggesting this is the solution for you that it has become for
me, but take a look here, it might give you ideas!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2454731305/

Lots of things I would use (and do use) a Hi-lift for, but levelling a
caravan isn't one of them!

... and relying on the lip staying in the rim like that is a little
fraught, I'd say ..

--
Paul - xxx
Old March 17th 11, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills[_2_]

wrote:

Had a demo of this in local dealer and bought it; took it home;
tried it on the van. Absolutely useless!! By the time I had turned
the ratchet as far as it would go the van had lifted 1 inch and I
nearly had another heart attack. Thankfully my money was refunded
and I hadn't chucked out the old yellow ramp. Cheers, Harry

I'm not suggesting this is the solution for you that it has become for
me, but take a look here, it might give you ideas!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2454731305/

Lots of things I would use (and do use) a Hi-lift for, but levelling a
caravan isn't one of them!

.. and relying on the lip staying in the rim like that is a little
fraught, I'd say ..

Indeed. The rim is probably turned in a bit, so the thing won't slip off
- but rims are not designed for supporting half the weight of a caravan
- other than when the load is distributed by a tyre!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old March 18th 11, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

wrote:

Had a demo of this in local dealer and bought it; took it home;
tried it on the van. Absolutely useless!! By the time I had turned
the ratchet as far as it would go the van had lifted 1 inch and I
nearly had another heart attack. Thankfully my money was refunded
and I hadn't chucked out the old yellow ramp. Cheers, Harry

I'm not suggesting this is the solution for you that it has become for
me, but take a look here, it might give you ideas!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2454731305/

Lots of things I would use (and do use) a Hi-lift for, but levelling a
caravan isn't one of them!

.. and relying on the lip staying in the rim like that is a little
fraught, I'd say ..

I'm not suggesting using a Hi Lift - just saying that I DO, and have
done for quite some time - certainly for a long time before I ever
bothered to take pictures!

I initially got the idea from an off road training course tip for
raising a vehicle wheel in order to put material underneath to regain
height and/or traction. Having used said tip more than once and never
experiencing slippage, I know it works.

With the twin hook arrangement, which I use now it's very easy and
requires very little effort at all.

A Hi Lift is a free-standing, ONE legged device! Treated as such,
there is no more inherent risk than any other lifting device.

Works for me!

Neil