5th wheel info needed

Old March 26th 11, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
nemesis

Default 5th wheel info needed

The present wife and I are considering whether to get a 5th wheel/truck or a
normal caravan/car combination. we intend to extensively tour Southern
Europe for about three months at a time, then a month in the UK (some of it
touring) then away again etc.

Can anyone kindly point me to a site that has information on what driving
license I need to have for towing a 5th wheel, my current car licence also
allows me to drive 7.5 ton trucks (and road rollers - go figure)
And can anyone point me to any dealers in 5th wheel 'vans within a hundred
mile or so radius of Kings Lynn, Norfolk.

I would really appreciate any help and advice.
Thanks.

Chris

Old March 27th 11, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

nemesis wrote:

The present wife and I are considering whether to get a 5th
wheel/truck or a normal caravan/car combination. we intend to
extensively tour Southern Europe for about three months at a time,
then a month in the UK (some of it touring) then away again etc.

Can anyone kindly point me to a site that has information on what
driving license I need to have for towing a 5th wheel, my current car
licence also allows me to drive 7.5 ton trucks (and road rollers - go
figure) And can anyone point me to any dealers in 5th wheel 'vans
within a hundred mile or so radius of Kings Lynn, Norfolk.

I would really appreciate any help and advice.
Thanks.

Chris

Sorry, no personal experience.

I'd look more at forums rather than usenet, they have a wider userbase
these days.

eg ..

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/
http://motorhometoday.co.uk/
http://www.caravanning4u.co.uk/
http://www.practicalcaravan.com/
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/default.asp
http://caravanchannel.proboards.com/index.cgi

I googled the above links and haven't checked any of them, but I have
heard of them and hopefully they might help, or get you started at
least!

--
Paul - xxx
Old March 27th 11, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Cole[_2_]

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 15:46:29 -0000, "nemesis"
wrote:

The present wife and I are considering whether to get a 5th wheel/truck or a
normal caravan/car combination. we intend to extensively tour Southern
Europe for about three months at a time, then a month in the UK (some of it
touring) then away again etc.

Can anyone kindly point me to a site that has information on what driving
license I need to have for towing a 5th wheel, my current car licence also
allows me to drive 7.5 ton trucks (and road rollers - go figure)
And can anyone point me to any dealers in 5th wheel 'vans within a hundred
mile or so radius of Kings Lynn, Norfolk.

I would really appreciate any help and advice.
Thanks.

Chris

There's some information on my website
(http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/cara...FifthWheel.htm) from Bill
Leadbeater, unfortunately he doesn't provide any data relating to
licensing.

The Fifth Wheel company say that they will be at Peterbourough on the 15th
- 17th April (http://www.fifthwheelco.com/events_calendar.aspx). May be
worth the 40 mile trip to see what they have and talk to them?

Richard
--
www.caravanningnow.co.uk, www.rcole.org and www.homeindorset.com
I am far to smart to be taken in by perfec'ly normal t'ings. - Maskerade by
Old March 27th 11, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne[_3_]

Not sure I have any technical info for you but having seen a fifth wheeler
on a french campsite I would say consider your decision very carefull
especially if you intend to tour in Southern Europe. With a fifth wheeler
you need a fair amount of space in order to get the outfit on a pitch as you
don't have the option of man handling or using a mover. Many campsite
pitches in Southern Europe are not that generous and many have narrow access
roads.

David

Old March 28th 11, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
nemesis

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
nemesis wrote:

[...]

Thanks Paul, I found the information at
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=20&TopicID=12427 7&PagePosition=1&ThreadPage=1&ReturnPage=Search&se arch=&searchIn=
which seems to answer my questions. Having looked at a printout, I think I'm
even more confused. Sheesh!, growing old ain't no fun.

Chris

Old March 28th 11, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
nemesis

news
wrote:

[...]

Thank you, I've had a look, but I think I have found the answer on the list
of links that Paul posted.

I'll certainly be going to Peterborough to have a look around. I've also
found http://www.ccrv.co.uk/ at Mildenhall who seem to have a few that we
can drool over. Also found http://www.5thwheelrv.co.uk/index.html at
Peterborough, but they look as though they only make to order. The dealer
with the most to offer that I have found so far is at Calder Leisure (near
Edinburgh) http://www.calderleisure.co.uk/cgi-bin/location.pl which seem to
have a fairly large stock.

Chris

Old March 28th 11, 01:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
nemesis

"David Klyne" wrote in message
o.uk...
Not sure I have any technical info for you but having seen a fifth wheeler
on a french campsite I would say consider your decision very carefull
especially if you intend to tour in Southern Europe. With a fifth wheeler
you need a fair amount of space in order to get the outfit on a pitch as
you don't have the option of man handling or using a mover. Many campsite
pitches in Southern Europe are not that generous and many have narrow
access roads.

Thanks, that tip is stored in the memory.
I had noted a similar thing at a campsite in Croatia (I was on a coach tour
at the time).

Chris

Old March 28th 11, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

nemesis wrote:

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/...ds.asp?ForumID
=20&TopicID=124277&PagePosition=1&ThreadPage=1&Ret urnPage=Search&searc
h=&searchIn= which seems to answer my questions. Having looked at a
printout, I think I'm even more confused. Sheesh!, growing old ain't
no fun.

Do you have a full UK driving licence, and if so, when did you get it?

If you do and you got it before 1997 then it's highly likely that you
will be legally entitled to drive a fifth wheel combination, depending
on how heavy the whole thing is, tractor and trailer combined.

If you do and you got the licence after 1st Jan 1997 then bets are off
and it's likely that you aren't entitled to drive such a setup without
extra training/testing.

As you're going to look at a few, I'd enlist the advice of the dealers
you visit, they ought to know chapter and verse.

I have an 'early' licence and while I don't tow with a fifth wheel I am
legal to, and regularly do, tow up to ~7 tons with Landrovers and
trucks.

--
Paul - xxx
Old March 28th 11, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
nemesis

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
nemesis wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
nemesis wrote:

[...]

Sigh Well before 1997.

If you do and you got the licence after 1st Jan 1997 then bets are off
and it's likely that you aren't entitled to drive such a setup without
extra training/testing.

I might get the extra training anyway.

As you're going to look at a few, I'd enlist the advice of the dealers
you visit, they ought to know chapter and verse.

That's why I wanted local-ish dealers so that I could not only look at them,
but so that I could find out details like that.

I have an 'early' licence and while I don't tow with a fifth wheel I am
legal to, and regularly do, tow up to ~7 tons with Landrovers and
trucks.

How heavy would that be in total?

Chris
Paul - xxx