13-pin "euro" plugs

Old April 1st 11, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Another Dave

Default 13-pin "euro" plugs

I'm about to replace my car. The replacement car has a 13 pin Euro
socket and my caravan has, inevitably, two of the old-style plugs. I'm
more then capable of re-wiring into a 13 pin plug, but I'm having a
problem finding a plug with two inlet grommets to make sure it's
waterproof. I'm pretty sure the single entry ones won't work.

Any suggestions?

Another Dave
Old April 1st 11, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"Another Dave" wrote in message
I'm about to replace my car. The replacement car has a 13 pin
Euro socket and my caravan has, inevitably, two of the
old-style plugs. I'm more then capable of re-wiring into a 13
pin plug, but I'm having a problem finding a plug with two
inlet grommets to make sure it's waterproof. I'm pretty sure
the single entry ones won't work.

Any suggestions?

Another Dave

Buy a ready-made adapter?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old April 1st 11, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TTT

"Another Dave" wrote in message
I'm about to replace my car. The replacement car has a 13 pin Euro socket
and my caravan has, inevitably, two of the old-style plugs. I'm more then
capable of re-wiring into a 13 pin plug, but I'm having a problem finding
a plug with two inlet grommets to make sure it's waterproof. I'm pretty
sure the single entry ones won't work.

Any suggestions?

Another Dave

I found one on ebay.

Old April 2nd 11, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Another Dave

On 01/04/2011 20:56, TTT wrote:
"Another wrote in message
I'm about to replace my car. The replacement car has a 13 pin Euro socket
and my caravan has, inevitably, two of the old-style plugs. I'm more then
capable of re-wiring into a 13 pin plug, but I'm having a problem finding
a plug with two inlet grommets to make sure it's waterproof. I'm pretty
sure the single entry ones won't work.

Any suggestions?

Another Dave

I found one on ebay.

With two inlets? Where?

Another Dave

Old April 2nd 11, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John B[_3_]

On 01/04/2011 20:56, TTT wrote:
"Another wrote in message
I'm about to replace my car. The replacement car has a 13 pin Euro
socket
and my caravan has, inevitably, two of the old-style plugs. I'm more
then
capable of re-wiring into a 13 pin plug, but I'm having a problem
finding
a plug with two inlet grommets to make sure it's waterproof. I'm pretty
sure the single entry ones won't work.

Any suggestions?

Another Dave

I found one on ebay.

With two inlets? Where?

Another Dave

Do a search for "Conversion Lead 13pin to 2 x 7pin". Lots of results will be
found.

John B.

Old April 2nd 11, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John B[_3_]

On 01/04/2011 20:56, TTT wrote:
"Another wrote in message
I'm about to replace my car. The replacement car has a 13 pin Euro
socket
and my caravan has, inevitably, two of the old-style plugs. I'm more
then
capable of re-wiring into a 13 pin plug, but I'm having a problem
finding
a plug with two inlet grommets to make sure it's waterproof. I'm pretty
sure the single entry ones won't work.

Any suggestions?

Another Dave

I found one on ebay.

With two inlets? Where?

Another Dave

Do a search for "Conversion Lead 13pin to 2 x 7pin". Lots of results will
be found.

John B.

I should have added that they are available in two types, 13 pin on either
car or van.

John B

Old April 2nd 11, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Another Dave

On 02/04/2011 13:54, John B wrote:
"John wrote in message

"Another wrote in message
On 01/04/2011 20:56, TTT wrote:
"Another wrote in message
[...]

I'm not looking for a conversion lead - I want to feed the two 7-pin
WIRES into a 13 pin PLUG

Another Dave

Old April 2nd 11, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

"John wrote in message

"Another wrote in message
On 01/04/2011 20:56, TTT wrote:
"Another wrote in message
[...]

I don't think that what you really want exists. In theory all the
convertors will have a suitable plug that you could cannibalise but I
suspect that they will all be standard single entry ones with the
sealing doubts that I would share. There's an awful lot of of water
ingress problems mentioned on the web in connection with 13 pin plugs!

It will be perfectly possible to siamese your two leads and create a
nice round cable which will seal well into a standard single entry plug.
One way to do this may be to use a heatshrink Y transistion piece
(ideally hot melt glue lined) - but they're usually pricey e.g.
http://tinyurl.com/3m2g782 (several sizes available). You may need some
tape to guarantee a suitably round bundle before shrinking the tube. The
other alternative is to use self-amalgamating tape possibly with some
straight heatshrink pieces.

Shrunken heatshrink is not very flexible so bear that in mind when
designing your solution.
Old April 2nd 11, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Another Dave

On 02/04/2011 17:23, Dougal wrote:

[...]

Thanks for understanding my question! I think I'll buy some 13 core
cable and re-wire into the caravan.

Another Dave
Old April 7th 11, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tom Lea[_3_]

[...]

That's what I ended up doing on a Europa. There are two ways of doing it.
(1) terminate the existing 12N and 12S in a plastic connecting block (inside
the van) and connect a new 13 core cable to the block, or (2) take the new
13 core cable directly to the source of the original cable (in my case the
fuse block). Buy good quality 13 core cable, with I think 3 cores at 2.5
square mm. The cheaper cable only has 1 core rated heavy duty (If I remember
correctly).

(1) is probably easier, but remember the new cable is only as good as the
old, in terms of amps. (2) is a better job, but depends upon your van and
how difficult it is to get at the source.

I did (2) and rewired back to the fuse box, quite easy really. Just one word
of advice, take a couple of photos of the connection within the van as well
as making a note of the termination points, then when your not sure what
goes where you can refer back to the photos.

Tom