Le Manoir - she is open!!

Old May 29th 11, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

Default Le Manoir - she is open!!

For those of you who have not scoured your CC France book lately,
Le Manoir de Senleques near Boulogne - very popular with readers
of this group - has been bought and is once more open for
business. In fact it has been open since early last year.

The washing facilities are the same as ever, but the rest is a
bit of a letdown. Seems that before he left Gabby removed all of
the electricity outlets and water taps in the fields. There is
now only two water taps - that on the end of the building near
the Gite (back of the pond as you drive in) and the one round the
left corner from the waste water recycling point. If you want
electricity they run out a long cable to a control box which has
three Schuko and one BS4343 outlet fed through a breaker and RCD.
There is also an emergency stop button on it. 16A supply however
and included in the all-in price of ?12/night.

As the 'British' field has not been used much and given they have
had little rain since the end of February, the field is now very
uneven and has large deep cracks in the surface. IMO the new
owner has cut the grass a little too short which doesn't help.

The 'Dutch' field is unchanged, but the third field (behind the
Gite) is now given over to sheep.

The new owners - a couple in (I would guess) their late 30's -
speak a little English, enough to be able to converse with we
linguistically challenged Brits. They have two children not yet
in teens. Mde is also running the establishment with horse
connections. She advises that it is her intent never to exceed 20
outfits total.

Now, for those of you that have stayed there and have a good
memory, here is a challenge for you. I seem to remember that on
driving through the last 'tree-gap' before crossing the
hardstanding for motorhomes and landing on the beautiful meadow
grass of the 'British' field there used to be a large white(ish)
power box on legs to one side in the trees - probably about 600mm
square and 200mm deep. This box had sockets for the motorhomes
and was also the feed for the other two power boxes, one on the
high side (left) of the field and one near one of the two poles
that carried the power overhead and one of which (both?) had
street lights attached. Can anyone remember which side of the
tree gap that boxed was sited? I had a feeling it was on the left
going into the field, but having had a browse around I'm now not
so sure. The new owners have found one end of the underground
pipe that carried the supply cable to the power box at the top of
the field but cannot find the other. They could I suppose push a
cable down it and use a detector above ground, but the run is the
better part of 40m and cable stiff enough to push down the pipe
doesn't come cheap. If anyone knows or has any pics that confirm
where it may have been perhaps they could post it on here and I
will forward the info to Mde.

Given time I'm sure they will get it running as it was before if
not better. However I suspect that at the moment renovation of Le
Manoir is taking all their time and a lot of their funds. When
they do get it all going I just hope they don't jack up the
prices and spoil it.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old July 14th 11, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne[_3_]

I had heard that. Its was always quirky at best! Perhaps thats why so many
people liked it? We stayed a couple of nights some years ago and it was
rather like a large CL. Even when we stayed we had to share a split electric
connection. At the time Gaby was installing more electric points to the area
to the right as you stop outside the Manoir. If they bring it up to a
reasonable standard I am sure people will flock back as they once did. Not
the easist site to get to!

David

Old July 14th 11, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

o.uk...

"Woody" wrote in message
[...]

If you remember David there were three fields - straight ahead,
immediate right, and back right - when you stopped by the pond as
you drove down the drive. The straight-on and right fields are
both still in use (we have only ever been in the right field and
because it has not been used it is now very hard and bumpy) but
the back right field is now turned over to sheep.

I think the owners are concentrating on make the manoir habitable
(it was quite interesting to see inside with much of the wall and
all of the ceiling coverings removed) so I suspect it may be a
while before they get to sort out the camping.