Habitation Relay

Old May 31st 11, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
puffernutter

Default Habitation Relay

I recently purchased a "new to me" Sterling 620 Europa, with a 13 pin
socket. The tow vehicle had a 7 pin, so to tow it home I bought an
adaptor. Last weekend I converted the tow vehicle to 13 pin, including
a split charge relay.

I now find that "due to EU EMI regulations" whenever the tow vehicle is
connected, the only power allowed in the van is to the fridge, so none
of the lights work! So what's the point of the "unswitched" power pin?

If I want the lights to work, I have to unplug the tow vehicle.

I have never come across anything so daft....

Regards

Peter
Old May 31st 11, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David[_14_]

You should have a CAR OFF VAN switch or similar.
Select CAR and you should get 12V back provided the engine is not running.

Dave

Old May 31st 11, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
puffernutter

On May 31, 1:14*pm, David wrote:
You should have a CAR OFF VAN switch or similar.
Select CAR and you should get 12V back provided the engine is not running..

Dave

It's all gone electronical :-( My last van had a rocker switch, this
new fangled thing has a touch pad, one for Van, one for Car. With the
Car attached, no lights and the Van seems locked out (it wont switch
over). With the 13 pin plug disconnected, the van power is enabled.

Not intuitive or logical!

Cheers

Peter
Old May 31st 11, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 31 May 2011 06:00:59 -0700 (PDT), puffernutter
wrote:

On May 31, 1:14*pm, David wrote:
You should have a CAR OFF VAN switch or similar.
Select CAR and you should get 12V back provided the engine is not running.

Dave

It's all gone electronical :-( My last van had a rocker switch, this
new fangled thing has a touch pad, one for Van, one for Car. With the
Car attached, no lights and the Van seems locked out (it wont switch
over). With the 13 pin plug disconnected, the van power is enabled.

Not intuitive or logical!

Cheers

Peter

My van is like that, so I have attached an i line S socket onto a
piece of wire and it can when required trail out of the battery
compartment. Then if I need it I have an extension that allows me to
connect that to the car battery and to complete the system I
disconnect one of the battery terminals so making the car battey the
power source, it's cheap and cheerful and it works.
Bill Lord

e-mail messages to bill dot lord at tunshill dot co dot uk