bailey pegasus 462

Old June 13th 11, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
david coleman

Default bailey pegasus 462

Hi can you help I bouight a Pegasus 462 in 2010 tyre size 185/R14 L1 104 but
in the Bailey Pegasus service manual it states tyre pressure 58 psi. But on
sticker by door it states tyre pressure 42 psi. Has any one had the same
problem.

Dave Coleman

Old June 13th 11, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

david coleman wrote:

Hi can you help I bouight a Pegasus 462 in 2010 tyre size 185/R14 L1
104 but in the Bailey Pegasus service manual it states tyre pressure
58 psi. But on sticker by door it states tyre pressure 42 psi. Has
any one had the same problem.

The manuals are usually generic to cover the whole range, the sticker
is usually specific to cover that particular caravan and it's
fittings/weight/layout. I'd go by the sticker.

However, I find that the stated pressures should be used as a guide and
adjusted to suit the towing vehicle. When I tow with our Landrover
Discovery 47psi is fine and works well, but when I tow with the Mondeo
it feels a lot more stable at 52 psi!! Lower pressure on the Mondeo
and it wanders, or feels like it. Higher pressure on the Disco and it
bounces ..

I guess this also depends on weight of kit carried, distribution of it
in the 'van etc but the above is for _exactly_ the same weight
condition/distribution within the 'van, just the towing vehicle is
different.

--
Paul - xxx
Old June 13th 11, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 13/06/2011 08:56, david coleman wrote:
Hi can you help I bouight a Pegasus 462 in 2010 tyre size 185/R14 L1 104
but in the Bailey Pegasus service manual it states tyre pressure 58 psi.
But on sticker by door it states tyre pressure 42 psi. Has any one had
the same problem.

Dave Coleman

Do the tyres say Max Load xx Kg at yy PSI? If so, what are xx and yy?

What is the max permissible weight of the van, as per its plate?

How many wheels does it have?

From that information, you can make a reasonable assessment of a
suitable pressure.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old June 13th 11, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
polly filler

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 13/06/2011 08:56, david coleman wrote:
Hi can you help I bouight a Pegasus 462 in 2010 tyre size 185/R14 L1 104
but in the Bailey Pegasus service manual it states tyre pressure 58 psi.
But on sticker by door it states tyre pressure 42 psi. Has any one had
the same problem.

Dave Coleman

Do the tyres say Max Load xx Kg at yy PSI? If so, what are xx and yy?

What is the max permissible weight of the van, as per its plate?

How many wheels does it have?

From that information, you can make a reasonable assessment of a suitable
pressure.
--
Cheers,
Roger

What does it say on the tyre? mine says 65psi thats what it gets.
It also says the same in the handbook

Old June 13th 11, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 13/06/2011 13:46, polly filler wrote:
"Roger wrote in message
On 13/06/2011 08:56, david coleman wrote:
Hi can you help I bouight a Pegasus 462 in 2010 tyre size 185/R14 L1 104
but in the Bailey Pegasus service manual it states tyre pressure 58 psi.
But on sticker by door it states tyre pressure 42 psi. Has any one had
the same problem.

Dave Coleman

Do the tyres say Max Load xx Kg at yy PSI? If so, what are xx and yy?

What is the max permissible weight of the van, as per its plate?

How many wheels does it have?

From that information, you can make a reasonable assessment of a suitable
pressure.

What does it say on the tyre? mine says 65psi thats what it gets.
It also says the same in the handbook

It's likely that it says *max* pressure 65psi - which is appropriate
when the tyre is running at its max rated load. However, it's not
unusual to over-specify tyres - so that the *actual* load may be a fair
bit below the max rated load. In such as case, the pressure would need
reducing too - otherwise the centre of the tyre will wear out and the
caravan will get badly shaken up.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old June 14th 11, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pedro[_2_]

On 13/06/2011 08:56, david coleman wrote:
Hi can you help I bouight a Pegasus 462 in 2010 tyre size 185/R14 L1 104
but in the Bailey Pegasus service manual it states tyre pressure 58 psi.
But on sticker by door it states tyre pressure 42 psi. Has any one had
the same problem.

Dave Coleman

Hello David

I also have a 2010 Bailey Pegasus 462 and hadn't noticed that. I'll
look at my door plate at the weekend when I go to the storage site and
get back to you by email as I won't have access to these newsgroups for
the following week.

I would have assumed that the Service Book figure of 58psi was correct
as they always refer to it but clearly the plate, if different, poses a
real problem.

I don't know how we can resolve it. Bailey appear to be next to useless
in responding to queries and problems and my dealer (Discover Group) is
worse than useless. I hope that we don't have the Unicorn problem of
detaching wheels as reported by the Caravan Club.

Do you have the same noseweight problem that I have? My van is about
90kg completely empty and when sensibly loaded is at about 120kg.
Clearly this exceeds both the Al-Ko hitch limit of 100kg and the 100kg
limit on my car. It would appear from my non-scientific sampling of new
Bailey vans on sites that many are towing over the noseweight limits
posing an interesting question about insurance claims in the event of an
accident.

At the moment I'm having to move everything that's forward of the
kitchen, including the front chest unit, jack & tools etc., to the
wardrobe and washroom area and then check the noseweight before moving
on. This is not what I would call a touring van. It's suited to being
stored and set up on one site but not being towed between sites as we
move on around the country.

Bailey have designed the van with the wheels very far back so that there
is insufficient balancing leverage meaning that having everything at the
very back gives an unstable tow unless I'm very careful. I'm mighty
glad that I have a Honda CRV that is very stable and has a Trailer
Stability function built in to the management system - albeit I'd rather
not have it kick in.

I'd be interested in your findings as I'm trying to get the van changed
for one that is a real tourer. Why don't manufacturers declare the
noseweight? Had Bailey declared my ex-works noseweight I'd not have
bought this van.

Pedro
(Replies to the newsgroup please - vegetarians don't like spam)

Old June 14th 11, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Pedro" wrote in message
On 13/06/2011 08:56, david coleman wrote:

Bailey appear to be next to useless
in responding to queries and problems and my dealer (Discover Group) is
worse than useless. I hope that we don't have the Unicorn problem of
detaching wheels as reported by the Caravan Club.

Never had a problem with Baileys when I e-mail them for help, always same
day response and helpful.

Old June 14th 11, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

On 14/06/2011 11:54, Pedro wrote:
[...]

Mountains and molehills come to mind!

Bailey don't make tyres but the tyre manufacturer does. Contact the tyre
manufacturer with details of the tyre load (half the MTPLM for a single
axle will be close enough) and maximum speed anticipated.

A 104 load index tyre will support a MTPLM of 1800kg on a single axle at
a pressure usually in the 55-65 psi range. So the 462's MTPLM in the
1350kg area is likely to be happy at 42psi.

The 462 used to run on 96 load index tyres (1420kg MTPLM on a single
axle) which are likely to require the 58psi quoted.

You may wish to use higher than the minimum recommended pressure(but
within the maximum, obviously) to limit sidewall deflection but at the
expense of a stiffer ride.