CAMPING CARAVAN MAINS ELECTRIC UNIT HOOK UP CABLE REEL

Old June 16th 11, 07:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

Default CAMPING CARAVAN MAINS ELECTRIC UNIT HOOK UP CABLE REEL

In France ,as in most of the European mainland, two - pole switching is employed, so when an appliance is switched 'off', both lines are interrupted. This means that polarity is not an issue for them, especially with ac current.
Old June 16th 11, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"Lunar475" wrote in message
In France ,as in most of the European mainland, two - pole
switching is employed, so when an appliance is switched 'off',
both lines are interrupted. This means that polarity is not an
issue for them, especially with ac current.

Funnily enough there has recently been a thread on the Practical
Caravan Forum about this very item, and two contributors from
Germany would strongly disagree with you.

Most (all?) Schuko outlets are unswitched so the only means of
breaking that supply is at source - not difficult since European
wiring is radial unlike our ring format. The breaker is - as
correctly stated - two pole as distinct from the usual single
pole used in the UK. Thus our wiring is polarity conscious where
European, in general, is not.

However, contrary to what I believed, most European appliances
are not double-pole switched. Most are however double insulated
(unlike many UK-indigenous appliances) so single pole switching
is adopted presumably in the belief that if the item fails to
work the first thing that will be done is to unplug it?

As a point of interest, whilst on holiday in France last month I
discovered that my caravan (Bailey Pageant Majestic Series 5) is
wired in 1.5mm flex (which is 16A rated) but the MCB feeding the
power sockets is only 10A. I bought a standard DIN-rail MCB from
one of the big DIY sheds to replace it when I got home. Why buy
there? Because even trade price of single-pole MCB's over here is
around 7 where I got a two-pole in France for ?4.19 retail!!

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old June 16th 11, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 09:12:02 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

As a point of interest, whilst on holiday in France last month I
discovered that my caravan (Bailey Pageant Majestic Series 5) is
wired in 1.5mm flex (which is 16A rated) but the MCB feeding the
power sockets is only 10A. I bought a standard DIN-rail MCB from
one of the big DIY sheds to replace it when I got home. Why buy
there? Because even trade price of single-pole MCB's over here is
around 7 where I got a two-pole in France for ?4.19 retail!!

Does your box have two circuit breakers in it like the majority of UK
vans? Ifit does then the combined rating of the two breakers is likely
to be 15 amp which matches the one that is common on Uk caravan sites
so by up rating one of the breakers you havemade it likely that when
on a site you can overload the site supply and trip the breaker on the
bollard rather than the one in your van.
My hymer has the same 15amp limit but has only one breaker which to me
is a more sensible solution as it means that I can make greater use of
the available 15amps without tripping either tha van or the bollard.
Bill Lord

e-mail messages to bill dot lord at tunshill dot co dot uk
Old June 16th 11, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gerard

"Woody" schreef in bericht

As a point of interest, whilst on holiday in France last month I
discovered that my caravan (Bailey Pageant Majestic Series 5) is
wired in 1.5mm flex (which is 16A rated) but the MCB feeding the
power sockets is only 10A.

That is done to allow for temporary overload.
An MCB must allow a certain overload for some time before cutting out.

NOW you have no room for overload on your wiring.
Not the way to go IMHO.

Regards, Gerard.