Gas flexible pipe.

Old June 16th 11, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

Default Gas flexible pipe.

My local Calor Centre recently told me that orange hose has a service life of 10 years now, the regulation having recently changed from 5 years. That is for boat application, btw which is unlikely to be less severe than in caravans imo.
Old June 16th 11, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Lunar475" wrote in message
My local Calor Centre recently told me that orange hose has a service life
of 10 years now, the regulation having recently changed from 5 years. That
is for boat application, btw which is unlikely to be less severe than in
caravans imo.

What Regulation been changed please?
Up to now only recommendations been given here, I'm wanting to know this
Regulation that my main dealer as said I must change the replacement black
pipe in a year, and yours in 10 years.
The main dealer serviced yearly my caravan from new 4 times and this year
still had the original black pipe of 2003 on.

Old June 16th 11, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 16/06/2011 09:26, David wrote:

"Lunar475" wrote in message

My local Calor Centre recently told me that orange hose has a service
life of 10 years now, the regulation having recently changed from 5
years. That is for boat application, btw which is unlikely to be less
severe than in caravans imo.

What Regulation been changed please?
Up to now only recommendations been given here, I'm wanting to know this
Regulation that my main dealer as said I must change the replacement
black pipe in a year, and yours in 10 years.
The main dealer serviced yearly my caravan from new 4 times and this
year still had the original black pipe of 2003 on.

Are we sure that we're talking about the same thing? In about 2004 (I
think) caravan gas systems changed radically. Prior to that, the
regulator was mounted directly on the cylinder and the flexible hose
only had to cope with low pressure (37mBar). The hoses used for that
have a service life of many years. [Mine says 1991 and is still going
strong!].

Post 2004 (or whenever) caravans have body-mounted regulators -
connected to the cylinder by a high pressure flexible hose. These hoses
*do* need to be replaced fairly frequently.

I suspect that some of the posts in this thread have confused the two
systems.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old June 17th 11, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Radstone

On 16 June, 08:37, Lunar475 wrote:
My local Calor Centre recently told me that orange hose has a service life of 10 years now, the regulation having recently changed from 5 years. That is for boat application, btw which is unlikely to be less severe than in caravans imo.

Boat regulations (Narrow boats and cruisers on inland waterways) are
more severe , they have to have a safety check and certifcate issued
evry five years to comply with licensing rules

Tony
Old June 17th 11, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message
, Tony
Radstone writes
On 16 June, 08:37, Lunar475 wrote:
My local Calor Centre recently told me that orange hose has a service
life of 10 years now, the regulation having recently changed from 5
years. That is for boat application, btw which is unlikely to be less
severe than in caravans imo.

Boat regulations (Narrow boats and cruisers on inland waterways) are
more severe , they have to have a safety check and certifcate issued
evry five years to comply with licensing rules

Tony

They often sit in confined space (locks) where a leak can have
disastrous consequences.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old June 17th 11, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tunku[_2_]

hugh ] wrote in :

In message
, Tony
Radstone writes
On 16 June, 08:37, Lunar475 wrote:
My local Calor Centre recently told me that orange hose has a service
life of 10 years now, the regulation having recently changed from 5
years. That is for boat application, btw which is unlikely to be less
severe than in caravans imo.

Boat regulations (Narrow boats and cruisers on inland waterways) are
more severe , they have to have a safety check and certifcate issued
evry five years to comply with licensing rules

Tony

They often sit in confined space (locks) where a leak can have
disastrous consequences.

I think it is more because the gas sits in an enclosed space with no
ventilation below (for obvious reasons). Think of a caravan as a bath tub
full of gas with the plug out, and a boat with the plug in. :-)
Old June 17th 11, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Tunku writes
hugh ] wrote in :

In message
, Tony
Radstone writes
On 16 June, 08:37, Lunar475 wrote:
My local Calor Centre recently told me that orange hose has a service
life of 10 years now, the regulation having recently changed from 5
years. That is for boat application, btw which is unlikely to be less
severe than in caravans imo.

Boat regulations (Narrow boats and cruisers on inland waterways) are
more severe , they have to have a safety check and certifcate issued
evry five years to comply with licensing rules

Tony

They often sit in confined space (locks) where a leak can have
disastrous consequences.

I think it is more because the gas sits in an enclosed space with no
ventilation below (for obvious reasons). Think of a caravan as a bath tub
full of gas with the plug out, and a boat with the plug in. :-)

True. Propane is heavier than air. Garage pits are another high risk
area.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old June 18th 11, 07:12 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

hugh wrote:

I think it is more because the gas sits in an enclosed space with no
ventilation below (for obvious reasons). Think of a caravan as a bath tub
full of gas with the plug out, and a boat with the plug in. :-)

True. Propane is heavier than air.

A boating colleague once told me that you get really funny looks
from the uninitiated if you have to bail out the gas after a
leak.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old June 18th 11, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Stottle[_3_]

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Tunku writes
hugh ] wrote in
:

In message
, Tony
Radstone writes
[...]

For those like me who wondered if Butane is also heavier than air, I have
just looked it up, and it is :-)

Old June 18th 11, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Harry Stottle" wrote in message
news
"hugh" ] wrote in message news:fGSbNWQbA9+
True. Propane is heavier than air. Garage pits are another high risk
area.

For those like me who wondered if Butane is also heavier than air, I have
just looked it up, and it is :-)

Just to note my leak detector is at floor level of the caravan.