WiFi installation on CL

Old June 26th 11, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lanky

Default WiFi installation on CL

Does anyone have information on installing WiFi on a CL for the benefit of
members staying there? A friend of mine is considering this.

Don
Old July 3rd 11, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris[_12_]

On 26/06/2011 11:10, Lanky wrote:
Does anyone have information on installing WiFi on a CL for the benefit of
members staying there? A friend of mine is considering this.

Don

Don, it will depend on how simple or complex they want to make it, how
big an area needs to be covered and how much your friend is willing to
pay out for. So it could be as simple as using a broadband router with
wireless and giving the guests the SSID and key. Or they could go up to
having a external access points and add on the 'hotspot' service.

There are a few all-in-one product that can help. One that comes to mind
is the Zxyel N4100.

Regards

Chris
Old July 3rd 11, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

On 03/07/2011 11:38, Chris wrote:
On 26/06/2011 11:10, Lanky wrote:
Does anyone have information on installing WiFi on a CL for the
benefit of
members staying there? A friend of mine is considering this.

Don

Don, it will depend on how simple or complex they want to make it, how
big an area needs to be covered and how much your friend is willing to
pay out for. So it could be as simple as using a broadband router with
wireless and giving the guests the SSID and key. Or they could go up to
having a external access points and add on the 'hotspot' service.

There are a few all-in-one product that can help. One that comes to mind
is the Zxyel N4100.

Regards

Chris

Just encourage him, if he goes go ahead, not to make this a 'free'
benefit by incorporating the costs into the default site fee.

Compulsory hook-up charges have already made me avoid many sites rather
than pay for something that I cannot even use. I can understand site
owners wishing to recover the capital cost of the installation but that
charge should fall only on electricity users.

Where have all the basic sites gone?

Old July 3rd 11, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 12:02:38 +0100, Dougal
DougalATHisKennel.free-online.co.uk wrote:

Just encourage him, if he goes go ahead, not to make this a 'free'
benefit by incorporating the costs into the default site fee.

Compulsory hook-up charges have already made me avoid many sites rather
than pay for something that I cannot even use. I can understand site
owners wishing to recover the capital cost of the installation but that
charge should fall only on electricity users.

It is not the fault of the site owners that if they provide an
electricity supply to all pitches then they charge all site users a
fee that is included in the site fees. Ofgen some years ago decreed
that anyone reselling electricity had to do so at the same price that
they paid for it and this resulted in such as the CC having to include
the electricity in with its site fees whether people wanted to use it
or not. The CCC get away with it by only providing electricity at a
proportion of their pitches and defining all other pitches as
serviced pitches which might be hard standing or have any other
service at the pitch.

You average CL owner puts electric on and does so at all five pitches,
to do anything else would be far too expensive on a per pitch basis.
Once they have done this they must either meter the supply and
increase the site fees so that they will recoup the cost of
installation, or increase the site fees even more and include whatever
electric that is used within the site fees, to do anything else would
lead them to problems with Ofgen.

Many sites provide toilets and showers and include these in the pitch
fee, there are also many people who have no use for such facilities
but they too have to pay for them being there. Many sites include the
cost for an awning within their sites fees but just because a
caravanner chooses not to buy an awning does not mean that they should
use the pitch at a lower rate.

All modern caravans are built with an electrical supply facility and
sites are set up on that basis, so for similar reason to the above if
you choose to have a caravan with nok facility for electric hook up
then if the site provides the facility then you have to pay for it,
you should not expect them to cater for what must nowadays be a tiny
number of people whose caravans do not have an EHU point fitted.
Bill Lord

e-mail messages to bill dot lord at tunshill dot co dot uk
Old July 4th 11, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lanky

wrote:

[...]

Site fee 4.50 per night. Electric available on meter if required 14p per unit.
I don't think he's likely to be screwing his customers wanting broadband.

Don
Old July 4th 11, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lanky

On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 11:38:11 +0100, Chris wrote:

On 26/06/2011 11:10, Lanky wrote:
Does anyone have information on installing WiFi on a CL for the benefit of
members staying there? A friend of mine is considering this.

Don

Don, it will depend on how simple or complex they want to make it, how
big an area needs to be covered and how much your friend is willing to
pay out for. So it could be as simple as using a broadband router with
wireless and giving the guests the SSID and key. Or they could go up to
having a external access points and add on the 'hotspot' service.

There are a few all-in-one product that can help. One that comes to mind
is the Zxyel N4100.

Regards

Chris

Thanks for the reply, Chris.
He has in mind something very simple, like a powerful domestic router to cover
five vans sited inline with the regulation space between them and changing the
password daily. The amount charged would depend on the cost of installation, he
isn't looking to make a profit.

Regards,

Don
Old July 4th 11, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Lanky" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 11:38:11 +0100, Chris wrote:

On 26/06/2011 11:10, Lanky wrote:
Does anyone have information on installing WiFi on a CL for the benefit
of
members staying there? A friend of mine is considering this.

Doubt I would want to pay to use it, as I seem to be doing ok with free hot
spots along with my 02 dongle pay as you go.

Old July 4th 11, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Bit exspensive

One commercial site I know thinks he's over charging at 10 a unit

And thats a holiday site in Norfolk

Broadband is free

Site fee is a tenner a night

But has the usual facilities

3 months fee is 250.00 + electric

--

DieSea

Old July 5th 11, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Lanky
writes
wrote:

[...]

S Bill said, regs are that you cannot charge more for elec than you
actually pay for it so provided he is paying at least 14p per unit he is
within the regs.

These regs were targeted at unscrupulous landlords in the housing
sector. Unfortunately touring caravan pitches got caught up in it.
--
hugh
Old July 7th 11, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris[_12_]

On 04/07/2011 20:18, Lanky wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 11:38:11 +0100, wrote:

[...]

Don, there are probably quite a few things that your friend should
possibly consider before he starts laying out any money. Wireless
networks, although they can be simple enough, are still very much
misunderstood by many. I suppose it will also depend on how involved
'you' want to get in gathering any information or help. If you have any
questions, ask and I'll try and help.

Chris