France and fuel

Old June 30th 11, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
polly filler

Default France and fuel

Hi all,
I've had this passed on to me, so I'm passing it on to hopefully save
someone some expense

A post on CaravanTalk which might be of interest.

This holiday (May/June) in France we've had problems with our car, with
black emmissions, noisy performance, and 'popping' (like small misfires) and
'lumpy' performance like a petrol engine missing. The problem started after
we filled up with diesel in the Super U in Ruoms, and continued throughout
the rest of the holiday and is still present despite using recommended
additives and filling up with fuel in this country mid-week.

Some investigation today, by ourselves, and our diesel mechanic, suggests
that the problem may have arisen because we filled up with B30 (diesel
containing 30% biodiesel). French drivers have complained on French forums
about the same problems we've had, mainly with fuel from Super U but not
always, and several have described exactly the problems we've had - with
several new posts in June 2011. This may necessitate expensive work on the
car, so anyone planning a trip to France in the near future should be
careful what they're buying. The fuel we bought was not labelled Biodiesel,
nor from a pump with an orange nozzle, so do check carefully any smaller
labels on the pump.

There is a report in Go Caravanning:

Go Caravan reader Mary Kingdon alerted us to this issue after a French trip
caused fuel injection problems with her Nissan X-Trail. It seems that she
may have filled her car with B30 - a diesel with a high proportion of
biodiesel.

Biodiesel is produced from oilseed rape, sunflower oil, used frying oils and
palm oil. Unless a vehicle has been specifically designed to use it, this
can damage cars.

In the UK all diesel contains up to 7% biodiesel. In France the proportion
is similar, However, a B30 diesel blend (containing 30% biodiesel) is also
available in France (and other parts of Europe), and it is this that has
caught out some British caravanners. B30 is only suitable for vehicles
specifically designed to use it.
Journalist and experienced continental caravanner Mike Cazalet believes the
problem is that various seals in the fuel system are not suitable for bio
fuel. He advised: "The seals may not fail immediately, which is why people
who have filled up with the wrong fuel often think they've got away with it,
but the seals probably will, expensively, fail."

Motor manufacturer Nissan, along with most other manufacturers, advises
customers to use only conventional diesel fuel, and Volkswagen says the use
of B30 may invalidate the engine and exhaust system warranty.

A few filling stations in the UK also sell the B30 blend - Morrisons
supermarkets has stocked this at its forecourts.

To avoid problems, we advise:

Stick to conventional diesel fuel
Avoid B30 - look out for the B30 label and possibly an orange pump
Use B30 only if you have established with your car's manufacturer that your
vehicle is able to run on this mix

Old July 1st 11, 05:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"polly filler" wrote in message
[...]

caravanners. B30 is only suitable for vehicles specifically
designed to use it.
[...]

Curious that. We did just over 3000 miles around France in May
and never saw a single B30 pump let alone attempted to use one to
fill up.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old July 6th 11, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tunku[_2_]

"polly filler" wrote in
:

Hi all,
I've had this passed on to me, so I'm passing it on to hopefully save
someone some expense

So it affects the Brits looking for a cheap deal instead of reading the
label?