Satellite TV

Old July 6th 11, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DartMan

Default Satellite TV

Hello all,
We've just bought a second hand motorhome.
Included is a satellite system complete with a PACE Sky minibox. There
is no card and I wondered what, and where, I can obtain one.
Being a newbie to this stuff I'm somewhat confused about 'blue' and
'white' cards - what is the difference and where do I obtain one? I
should add that we don't have Sky at home and, for the foreseeable
future, do not anticipate subscribing to them.
Old July 6th 11, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"DartMan" wrote in message
Hello all,
We've just bought a second hand motorhome.
Included is a satellite system complete with a PACE Sky
minibox. There
is no card and I wondered what, and where, I can obtain one.
Being a newbie to this stuff I'm somewhat confused about 'blue'
and
'white' cards - what is the difference and where do I obtain
one? I
should add that we don't have Sky at home and, for the
foreseeable
future, do not anticipate subscribing to them.
Regards

http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/
If you ring them they should sell you a card for 20 (or is it
25 now?) Note however that it is officially for use at home so
don't tell them it is for the bus.

When you get the card you will need to get the box working and on
screen before you ring them to get it activated. They will ask
you for some technical details of the box and tell you how to
find them in the menus.

You don't mention, but did the m'home come with a dish and
suitable mount, or is it one of those automated rooftop thingies?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old July 6th 11, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"Woody" wrote in message
"DartMan" wrote in message
[...]

Update on the above. The card is 25 and you call 0844 824 4400
to order one. (It's in the FAQs of the link.)

Old July 6th 11, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"DartMan" wrote in message
Hello all,
We've just bought a second hand motorhome.
Included is a satellite system complete with a PACE Sky minibox. There
is no card and I wondered what, and where, I can obtain one.
Being a newbie to this stuff I'm somewhat confused about 'blue' and
'white' cards - what is the difference and where do I obtain one? I
should add that we don't have Sky at home and, for the foreseeable
future, do not anticipate subscribing to them.
Regards

I take it you do not want to subscribe and only watch the the free programs
that can be received.
Just try it without a card and I think you will get around 99% of the free
programs, maybe FIVE and a couple of others missing.
To get these you will need a 25 card from Sky will last 2 or 3 years until
new Sky cards are issued.

Old July 7th 11, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"David" wrote in message

"DartMan" wrote in message
[...]

....but new cards are issued f.o.c., there's no more to pay.

If you run the box without a card you will get BBC London on 101,
ITV Central West on 103, no Ch5 or its siblings or a number of
other channels such as Yesterday and Pick TV. The BBC regions are
available around channel 980 give or take, but to get other ITV
regions you will need to go to 'add channels.'

Old July 8th 11, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DartMan

On 6 July, 20:56, "Woody" wrote:

[...]

Yes. it has an 'automatic' dish - a Caro and seems to work
satisfactorily.
Old July 10th 11, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"DartMan" wrote in message
Hello all,
We've just bought a second hand motorhome.
Included is a satellite system complete with a PACE Sky minibox. There
is no card and I wondered what, and where, I can obtain one.
Being a newbie to this stuff I'm somewhat confused about 'blue' and
'white' cards - what is the difference and where do I obtain one? I
should add that we don't have Sky at home and, for the foreseeable
future, do not anticipate subscribing to them.
Regards

Suggest you read the details on this useful site. He's the daddy as far as
satellite in caravans etc. is concerned.

http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/index.htm

--

Jim