Towing mirrors

Old July 17th 11, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
polly filler

Default Towing mirrors

Hi All
I have just treated myself to some new towing mirrors, but one of them is
flat and the other is convex.
Which is the best side to use the convex mirror on? I have'nt used one
before.
many thanks in advance

Old July 17th 11, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , polly
filler writes
Hi All
I have just treated myself to some new towing mirrors, but one of them is
flat and the other is convex.
Which is the best side to use the convex mirror on? I have'nt used one
before.
many thanks in advance

I would say drivers to give you the widest field of vision esp on
motorways and dual carriageways
--
hugh
Old July 17th 11, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 17/07/2011 18:11, polly filler wrote:
Hi All
I have just treated myself to some new towing mirrors, but one of them is
flat and the other is convex.
Which is the best side to use the convex mirror on? I have'nt used one
before.
many thanks in advance

Use the flat one nearest to you (i.e. driver's side) and the curved one
the other side.

If the flat one is a long way from your eye, it will only give you a
very small field of vision - whereas you will see much more in the
curved one, albeit at reduced size (so things will appear further away
than they are in reality).

Since your eye will be much closer to the flat one, you'll still get a
reasonable field of vision - and the picture will be full size, so
you'll get a good idea of the proximity of overtaking vehicles, etc.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old July 17th 11, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alex Heney

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 18:11:38 +0100, "polly filler"
wrote:

Hi All
I have just treated myself to some new towing mirrors, but one of them is
flat and the other is convex.
Which is the best side to use the convex mirror on? I have'nt used one
before.
many thanks in advance

The drivers side, because that is where you have the most need for a
larger field of vision.

The nearside mirror is mainly used to check you are fully past another
vehicle when overtaking, and for that you only need to be able to see
that vehicle.

But the drivers side you need a much wider field to be able to see if
anybody is closing on you fast enough that you shouldn't pull out.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
"I think not," said Descartes, and promptly disappeared.
Old July 18th 11, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
artleknock

wrote:

Hi All
I have just treated myself to some new towing mirrors, but one of them is
flat and the other is convex.
Which is the best side to use the convex mirror on? I have'nt used one
before.
many thanks in advance

The drivers side, because that is where you have the most need for a
larger field of vision.

The nearside mirror is mainly used to check you are fully past another
vehicle when overtaking, and for that you only need to be able to see
that vehicle.

But the drivers side you need a much wider field to be able to see if
anybody is closing on you fast enough that you shouldn't pull out.

Rodger is correct.
The flat mirror on the drivers side, because it gives a true distance
perspective, the convex mirror gives a much wider field of view and
makes vehicles look much further away than they are. The last mistake
you want to make with a caravan behind you.
And don't forget that these are caravan mirrors, a wide field of view
is helpful on the offside when reversing the caravan.
Old July 18th 11, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

Roger Mills wrote:

On 17/07/2011 18:11, polly filler wrote:
Hi All
I have just treated myself to some new towing mirrors, but one of them is
flat and the other is convex.
Which is the best side to use the convex mirror on? I have'nt used one
before.

Use the flat one nearest to you (i.e. driver's side) and the curved one
the other side.

If the flat one is a long way from your eye, it will only give you a
very small field of vision - whereas you will see much more in the
curved one, albeit at reduced size (so things will appear further away
than they are in reality).

Since your eye will be much closer to the flat one, you'll still get a
reasonable field of vision - and the picture will be full size, so
you'll get a good idea of the proximity of overtaking vehicles, etc.

Given what you have bought, I would agree with Roger.

Personally, I use convex on both sides, and currently have a pair
of Milenco Grand Aero, with which I am very satisfied.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Milenco-Grand-Convex-Towing-Mirrors/dp/B003WFQXL0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310980432&sr=8-1-spell

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old July 18th 11, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne[_3_]

Same here, don't like flat mirrors. One thing I don't think has been
mentioned is that some cars have convex mirrors (easy to check just put the
edge of a credit card against the mirror) Therefore you will get a
distortion between car and towing mirror if they are different. I made the
mistake of buying a pair of flat mirrors and they were useless, now have
the same as Chris, superb mirrors.

David

Old July 18th 11, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

If the convex should be fitted on the nearside why do car
manufacturers fit flat on the nearside and flat with a convex
outer edge on the offside?

No, the convex should be on the offside to ensure that you don't
have a blind spot. With a flat glass someone can be well over
(away from you) in the lane to your right but not having reached
as far as the driver's door and can be completely out of view - I
know as I nearly cought one on the A1(M) last Friday morning but
I wasn't towing at the time.

The mirror on the nearside can be flat as it is only needed to
see if overtaking is complete. If the vehicle to the nearside is
in the blind spot then you are not far enough forwards to pull
back in, simple as that.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old July 19th 11, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Stottle[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Sorry Mr. Woody but you have failed your test this time. You failed to take
reasonable care by not checking over your right shoulder when changing lanes
;-)

Old July 19th 11, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
artleknock

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 19:25:35 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

If the convex should be fitted on the nearside why do car
manufacturers fit flat on the nearside and flat with a convex
outer edge on the offside?

Car manufacturers fit a flat mirror with a built in blind spot mirror
to the offside.

No, the convex should be on the offside to ensure that you don't
have a blind spot. With a flat glass someone can be well over
(away from you) in the lane to your right but not having reached
as far as the driver's door and can be completely out of view - I
know as I nearly cought one on the A1(M) last Friday morning but
I wasn't towing at the time.

Your convex mirror didn't work then.
I was always taught to look over my shoulder as well as using mirrors.

The mirror on the nearside can be flat as it is only needed to
see if overtaking is complete. If the vehicle to the nearside is
in the blind spot then you are not far enough forwards to pull
back in, simple as that.

I once nearly wiped out a car that had joined the carriageway in my
blind spot, and I was towing. I was overtaking a lorry so didn't see
it coming down the slip road. I now have a convex mirror on the
nearside to give a wider field of view, you cant see the nearside of a
caravan by looking over your shoulder.