Which towbar

Old August 27th 11, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

Default Which towbar

Have just negotiated to buy a s/h B6 Passat 2L TDi CR estate and
the supplier to fit the towbar.

Question: should I go for Westfalia or Witter - it is my choice -
but as the car has reversing aids it will be a detachable.

Also, whichever detachable, will it work with the Al-Ko 3000
head?

Any experience greatfully received.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old August 28th 11, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Woody wrote:

Have just negotiated to buy a s/h B6 Passat 2L TDi CR estate and the
supplier to fit the towbar.

Question: should I go for Westfalia or Witter - it is my choice - but
as the car has reversing aids it will be a detachable.

Also, whichever detachable, will it work with the Al-Ko 3000 head?

Any experience greatfully received.

Whichever towbar you choose, and at the end of the day they're a bit of
metal bolted to the chassis so "best" can be viewed a few ways, will
work with any head ... you may need to get a 'proper' Alko towball
though as I believe they stick out further than a standard ball fitting.

--
Paul - xxx
Old August 28th 11, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David[_15_]

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message ...

Woody wrote:

Have just negotiated to buy a s/h B6 Passat 2L TDi CR estate and the
supplier to fit the towbar.

Question: should I go for Westfalia or Witter - it is my choice - but
as the car has reversing aids it will be a detachable.

Also, whichever detachable, will it work with the Al-Ko 3000 head?

Any experience greatfully received.

Whichever towbar you choose, and at the end of the day they're a bit of
metal bolted to the chassis so "best" can be viewed a few ways, will
work with any head ... you may need to get a 'proper' Alko towball
though as I believe they stick out further than a standard ball fitting.

Paul I understand that when related to a normal tow bar with a separate
bolted on ball, but are there detachable ones made by Al-Ko?

Old August 28th 11, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 14:15:58 +0100, "David" wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message ...

Woody wrote:

Have just negotiated to buy a s/h B6 Passat 2L TDi CR estate and the
supplier to fit the towbar.

Question: should I go for Westfalia or Witter - it is my choice - but
as the car has reversing aids it will be a detachable.

Also, whichever detachable, will it work with the Al-Ko 3000 head?

Any experience greatfully received.

Whichever towbar you choose, and at the end of the day they're a bit of
metal bolted to the chassis so "best" can be viewed a few ways, will
work with any head ... you may need to get a 'proper' Alko towball
though as I believe they stick out further than a standard ball fitting.

Paul I understand that when related to a normal tow bar with a separate
bolted on ball, but are there detachable ones made by Al-Ko?

All the swan neck balls and the removable balls have no problems with
either the alko stabilising hitch or the equivalent westfallia one.
The only time you need to check that you have an alko ball is if you
have the standard bolt on ball and then the difference is not in the
distance from the rear of the car but in the height of the ball above
the bend in the flange. This is to allow more space for articulatation
of the head because of the greater width of the hitch.
Bill Lord

e-mail messages to bill dot lord at tunshill dot co dot uk
Old August 30th 11, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

Go for the cheapest. Witter have a first class reputation, I've never had a problem over a number of cars.
Old August 30th 11, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Paul - xxx
writes
Woody wrote:

Have just negotiated to buy a s/h B6 Passat 2L TDi CR estate and the
supplier to fit the towbar.

Question: should I go for Westfalia or Witter - it is my choice - but
as the car has reversing aids it will be a detachable.

Also, whichever detachable, will it work with the Al-Ko 3000 head?

Any experience greatfully received.

Whichever towbar you choose, and at the end of the day they're a bit of
metal bolted to the chassis so "best" can be viewed a few ways, will
work with any head ... you may need to get a 'proper' Alko towball
though as I believe they stick out further than a standard ball fitting.

Post Oct 98 (IIRC) it must be an "approved" towbar for the vehicle.
I have no experience of either make as detachables so can't comment. I
would go for whichever looks the easiest to detach/attach. Any problems
are more likely to be in the electrics than in the lump of metal.
--
hugh
Old August 31st 11, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Appelation Controlee

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 22:29:23 +0100, hugh ] wrote:

In message , Paul - xxx
writes
Woody wrote:

[...]

I have the Westfalia detachable towball fitted to my Merc C270 and the
caravan has the AL-KO 3004 stabilizer fitted. No problems experienced.