POI for caravanning? Avoiding narrow routes

Old October 9th 11, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tunku[_2_]

Default POI for caravanning? Avoiding narrow routes

Anyone know if there is any info out there for putting in info relevant for
caravanners? I'd like to avoid goat tracks etc. when I'm out and about :-)

--
Tunku

Caution - post may contain nuts.
Old October 10th 11, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JTM

In article , Tunku
wrote:
Anyone know if there is any info out there for putting in
info relevant for caravanners? I'd like to avoid goat
tracks etc. when I'm out and about :-)

My Google search brought your post up in 4th place ;-)
www.tomtomfree.com/POI_collections.htm (for a Tomtom)
was the top one. But there might be something on
www.archiescampings.eu/eng1

John

John

--
John Mulrooney

War does not determine who is right - only who is left
Old October 10th 11, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

Google 'street view ' is most helpful in planning an approach to a previously unvisited site. A look at the route from the last 'main road' can reveal any possible difficulties. Had I used it for a recent journey to a CL in Wales, our final approach would have been much easier.....
Old October 10th 11, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea[_3_]

"JTM" wrote in message ...
In article , Tunku
wrote:
Anyone know if there is any info out there for putting in
info relevant for caravanners? I'd like to avoid goat
tracks etc. when I'm out and about :-)

My Google search brought your post up in 4th place ;-)
www.tomtomfree.com/POI_collections.htm (for a Tomtom)
was the top one. But there might be something on
www.archiescampings.eu/eng1

John

John

--
John Mulrooney

War does not determine who is right - only who is left

Back home John ??

So "Cornerways'" is a ladies hairdresser's now !!!!

--

DieSea

Old October 10th 11, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith

There are devices specifically for caravanners.

For a TomTom device, POIs such as 'Dangerous/Narrow roads are available from
TTHome2 and 'Truck' maps are available from TomTom. The latter allows the
user to specify height/length/weight - and, possibly, width - parameters.

Old October 10th 11, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message
[email protected],
Lunar475 writes
Google 'street view ' is most helpful in planning an approach to a
previously unvisited site. A look at the route from the last 'main
road' can reveal any possible difficulties. Had I used it for a recent
journey to a CL in Wales, our final approach would have been much
easier.....

OS map also helps for gradients in particular. I believe there is a move
to develop sat nav software for truckers showing narrow roads. Don't
know if it will be of any help as it largely relies on the public
submitting the information.
--
hugh
Old October 11th 11, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 10/10/2011 14:36, Keith wrote:
There are devices specifically for caravanners.

For a TomTom device, POIs such as 'Dangerous/Narrow roads are available from
TTHome2 and 'Truck' maps are available from TomTom. The latter allows the
user to specify height/length/weight - and, possibly, width - parameters.

I suppose the POIs are moderately useful but, AFAIK, there's no way of
using these to influence the routing directly. So you have to let it do
its thing, and then browse the route to see whether any of these
'obstacles' occur along it, and then manually take steps to force it
onto a different route which avoids the obstacles.

The truck maps sound more useful. Do they directly affect the routing,
and avoid unsuitable roads from the outset? Are these available to
purchase on the TomTom website - I don't recall seeing them? How much
are they?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old October 11th 11, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
[...]

I used the TomTom POIs for this year's trip to Cornwall, using the browse
route to manually avoid the narrow roads. It is boring but worked. Free
utility 'PoiEditor' can be used to convert POIs from/to various satnav
device file formats - Google 'poieditor'.

As to the TomTom Truck maps, they require a different 'application'
(sometimes called 'navcore'). Google 'truck navcore'.

Old October 20th 11, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
nemesis

[...]

Truck Activation keys are available for some of the Mio Spirit range. Price
69.99. Presumably that is on top of the cost of the original unit.
From the website :-
Provide Truck specific routing, minimal the use of small roads*
Truck Profile - Routes are calculated based on your truck's dimensions,
weight, load and vehicle type**
Truck Speed Limited Alert

http://eu.mio.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=6650

As is always the way, my Mio Navman doesn't have this feature. I could damn
well do with it as I have a twin axle van.

Tom Tom SD cards are available at
http://www.tomtom-navigation.co.uk/site/TomTom_Truck_Software.php?gclid=CMWU2eqc-KsCFYVP4QodzAErkw

Price 169

Old October 21st 11, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , nemesis
writes
[...]

From the website :-

http://www.tomtom-navigation.co.uk/s...ware.php?gclid
=CMWU2eqc-KsCFYVP4QodzAErkw

Price 169

See photo in 2days DT - obviously this driver didn't have it - or else
it is useless!!
--
hugh