wheel size

Old October 11th 11, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
polly filler

Default wheel size

Hi all
I am just changing insurance companies, and to comply with the new company
rules which states that
when left unattended, attached to the car, the caravan should have a wheel
clamp attached.
In my handbook it states that the whels are "165R13"
Does this mean that I have 13" wheels on my van? I need to know for the size
of the wheel clamp I need to get.
Thanks in advance

Old October 11th 11, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David[_16_]

"polly filler" wrote in message
Hi all
I am just changing insurance companies, and to comply with the new company
rules which states that
when left unattended, attached to the car, the caravan should have a wheel
clamp attached.
In my handbook it states that the whels are "165R13"
Does this mean that I have 13" wheels on my van? I need to know for the
size of the wheel clamp I need to get.

Unrealistic condition for me, I would get a better company.

Old October 11th 11, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David[_16_]

"David" wrote in message

"polly filler" wrote in message
Hi all
I am just changing insurance companies, and to comply with the new
company rules which states that
when left unattended, attached to the car, the caravan should have a
wheel clamp attached.
In my handbook it states that the whels are "165R13"
Does this mean that I have 13" wheels on my van? I need to know for the
size of the wheel clamp I need to get.

Unrealistic condition for me, I would get a better company.

Reading you post again do you not already have a clamp?
I thought most if not all companies would require a clamp fitted when not
attached to car.

Old October 11th 11, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

On 11/10/2011 17:06, David wrote:

"polly filler" wrote in message
Hi all
I am just changing insurance companies, and to comply with the new
company rules which states that
when left unattended, attached to the car, the caravan should have a
wheel clamp attached.
In my handbook it states that the whels are "165R13"
Does this mean that I have 13" wheels on my van? I need to know for
the size of the wheel clamp I need to get.

Unrealistic condition for me, I would get a better company.

Agree with David. I had a similar condition imposed which means that
when driving unaccompanied you 'should' fit the wheel clamp on garage
forecourts when going to pay. They wouldn't agree to any change so I
concluded that they didn't want my business.

Go elsewhere!
Old October 11th 11, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
polly filler

"Dougal" DougalATHisKennel.free-online.co.uk wrote in message
On 11/10/2011 17:06, David wrote:

"polly filler" wrote in message
Hi all
I am just changing insurance companies, and to comply with the new
company rules which states that
when left unattended, attached to the car, the caravan should have a
wheel clamp attached.
In my handbook it states that the whels are "165R13"
Does this mean that I have 13" wheels on my van? I need to know for
the size of the wheel clamp I need to get.

Unrealistic condition for me, I would get a better company.

Agree with David. I had a similar condition imposed which means that
when driving unaccompanied you 'should' fit the wheel clamp on garage
forecourts when going to pay. They wouldn't agree to any change so I
concluded that they didn't want my business.

Go elsewhere!

At the moment my insurance company I am with now, insist on a hitchlock, or
wheel clamp
But I have fell out with them over another matter and I am in the process of
changing all my insurances with them as
they come up for renewal, and with the adition of a wheel clamp, it will
still be 40 cheaper.
so if it says "165R13" have I got 13" wheel rims?
Thanks

Old October 11th 11, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

polly filler said the following on 11/10/2011 18:09:

At the moment my insurance company I am with now, insist on a hitchlock, or
wheel clamp
But I have fell out with them over another matter and I am in the process of
changing all my insurances with them as
they come up for renewal, and with the adition of a wheel clamp, it will
still be 40 cheaper.
so if it says "165R13" have I got 13" wheel rims?
Thanks

The clue is in the numbers

Old October 11th 11, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , polly
filler writes

[...]

Yes, the "13" refers to the rim diameter. Wheel clamps are usually
adjustable to fit a wide range of wheel sizes.
I have a twin axle so my insurance stipulates 2 clamps, one on a wheel
on each axle. The hitch can be easily clamped on to the car. I would
only do this when stationary, I don't think it's wise when travelling.
When sited I have 2 wheel clamps, one hitch lock and 2 rear corner
steady locks - oh and an alarm which covers when unoccupied.
You've now prompted me to go and read the small print.
A new amendment this year states;
"Exclusion
Theft of a touring van when unattended or unattached unless secured by a
wheel lock."
Is it "unattended" if I go to pay at a filling station? I suppose it
would be if say I went into the services for an hour for a meal.
I suppose they have found generally hitch locks to be not very secure
(although mine is) and therefore insist on wheel lock. Theft from
motorway service stations is not unknown. Maybe it's on the increase.

--
hugh
Old October 11th 11, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gerard

"polly filler" schreef in bericht

Does this mean that I have 13" wheels on my van? I need to know for
the size of the wheel clamp I need to get.

There's more to read on the sides of your tires.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

Now you know everything,

Gerard

Old October 11th 11, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

On 11/10/2011 19:02, hugh wrote:
In message , polly
filler writes

[...]

Even when pressed, my lot insisted that this was 'unattended'.