Is there a book of caravan data?

Old January 11th 12, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
McKevvy

Default Is there a book of caravan data?

Because I'll be buying a caravan in the next 6 or 7 weeks or so and I
need to know the towing weights, etc to drive with. I'm asking
specifically for data for older caravans in the region of 500 - 1000
and the details aren't listed on the manufactures website. I'm looking
for either a printed book or a comprehensive website.

Thanks in advance.

McK.
Old January 11th 12, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
GrahamW

The usual website to use is http://www.whattowcar.com/ but this doesn't have
info on 'vans older than about 10 years.
The usual advice is that if the 'van weighs upto 85% of the cars kerbweight
then you should be ok. The 'vans weight is usually displayed on a small
plate somewhere on the nearside of the 'van or on the A frame drawbar.
Sorry I can't be any more help than that.
Regards, Graham

Old January 11th 12, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message
,
McKevvy writes
Because I'll be buying a caravan in the next 6 or 7 weeks or so and I
need to know the towing weights, etc to drive with. I'm asking
specifically for data for older caravans in the region of 500 - 1000
and the details aren't listed on the manufactures website. I'm looking
for either a printed book or a comprehensive website.

Thanks in advance.

McK.

Not that I know of. Perhaps Practical Caravan might have something.
--
hugh
Old January 11th 12, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 11/01/2012 09:59, McKevvy wrote:
Because I'll be buying a caravan in the next 6 or 7 weeks or so and I
need to know the towing weights, etc to drive with. I'm asking
specifically for data for older caravans in the region of 500 - 1000
and the details aren't listed on the manufactures website. I'm looking
for either a printed book or a comprehensive website.

Thanks in advance.

McK.

I'm not aware on any on-line source of such data. You may perhaps find a
tame caravan dealer who's kept some old brochures which specify such
things. I've got a 1991 Bailey brochure - dating from when I bought my
most recent caravan nearly 21 years ago.

First off, you need to determine what is a reasonable weight to tow with
your car. Is there a figure quoted in the handbook? If so, it will
probably be wildly optimistic - so ignore it! Do you know the kerb
weight? If not, visit a public weighbridge and have it weighed - with
fuel but no passengers or payload. Then take 85% of that as a reasonable
target FULLY LOADED weight for the caravan.

Then you need to look at a few caravans of the sort of vintage of
interest, and see what it says on their loading plates. That way, you'll
get a good feel for the *size* of van which will be suitable. For
example, you wouldn't want to tow a 24-foor double-axle jobbie with a
Metro! Whilst there's *some* variation between makes and models, all
vans of a given vintage and size will have more the less the same weight.

I'm not sure how wide a choice you'll have of vans in the 500-1000
range. Many vans get written off due to wet rot before getting down to
that sort of book value. I doubt whether there's any point in having a
specific make and model in mind - I think you'll just have to see what's
on offer, and judge each one on its merits.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old January 11th 12, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David[_14_]

Not always comprehensive but goes back to 1976 for some models.

http://www.clicreports.talktalk.net/

Old January 13th 12, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
McKevvy

On Jan 11, 8:26*pm, David wrote:
Not always comprehensive but goes back to 1976 for some models.

http://www.clicreports.talktalk.net/

David

Thanks very much to everyone for their help. I've now bookmarked a few
sites and am trawling through them.

It's surprising the high quality of caravans available on ebay for my
price range that come from good, honest homes and have been well cared
for - a lot of good buys out there.

McK.