TV Antennas for caravans/motorhomes

Old February 6th 12, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Brian Reay.

Default TV Antennas for caravans/motorhomes

I've been looking at the various TV antennas for caravans/motorhomes and I'm
curious to hear (read) peoples' views.

Obviously there is the option of the (essentially) mini domestic version
rigged on a pole once you have parked up. Clearly you can get some height
and have an amplifier, plus more gain if you get a larger antenna. But there
is this fuss of the set up.

Then there is the fixed "cage" affair. These claim to be omni directional,
no setting up, tend to be lower (roof height plus a bit).

Finally the disks, eg the Maxiview. Again omni directional and at roof
height or thereabouts.

In terms of performance, I'd expect the first to be best (and cheapest) but
obviously more bother to set up. The cage ones don't look engineered to
last. The Maxiview appeals but I'm concerned as to how well it works.

My application is a motorhome but results must be much the same as for a
caravan.

Regards

Brian

Old February 6th 12, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Brian Reay.
writes
I've been looking at the various TV antennas for caravans/motorhomes and I'm
curious to hear (read) peoples' views.

Obviously there is the option of the (essentially) mini domestic version
rigged on a pole once you have parked up. Clearly you can get some height
and have an amplifier, plus more gain if you get a larger antenna. But there
is this fuss of the set up.

Will give you best results - but at the price of inconvenience.
Then there is the fixed "cage" affair. These claim to be omni directional,
no setting up, tend to be lower (roof height plus a bit).

Non directional, most convenient, no bother pointing in the right
direction, but probably worst performance
Finally the disks, eg the Maxiview. Again omni directional and at roof
height or thereabouts.

I use a roof mounted Status directional aerial, adjustable in height,
direction and also polarity which can be useful where repeaters are
involved in places like North Wales.
In terms of performance, I'd expect the first to be best (and cheapest) but
obviously more bother to set up. The cage ones don't look engineered to
last. The Maxiview appeals but I'm concerned as to how well it works.

My application is a motorhome but results must be much the same as for a
caravan.

I think that probably rules out option 1 on grounds of inconvenience.
Regards

Brian

--
hugh
Old February 6th 12, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Brian Reay." wrote in message ...

My application is a motorhome but results must be much the same as for a
caravan.

Well on my caravan I use a normal domestic aerial on a pole attached to the
caravan from brackets supplied by my caravan dealers shop.
Did this as I was highly dissatisfied with the fancy plastic one from the
dealer.

Old February 6th 12, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David[_14_]

The answer here depends on where you are going.

Omni-directional cages or saucers are ok if you are in strong signal areas.

For anything else look at the Status 530 type or similar fitted or the "mini
domestic version" with its set up issues.

Dave
Old February 7th 12, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"David" wrote in message
The answer here depends on where you are going.

Omni-directional cages or saucers are ok if you are in strong
signal areas.

For anything else look at the Status 530 type or similar fitted
or the "mini
domestic version" with its set up issues.

Dave

No, the best solution for caravan or motorhome is satellite. It
works everywhere (OK, not under trees) whereas terrestrial
television does not.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old February 9th 12, 07:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim gm4dhj ...

No, the best solution for caravan or motorhome is satellite. It
works everywhere (OK, not under trees) whereas terrestrial television does
not.

Woody

Yes a nice folding dish and 12v freesat box from ALDI...just the job...got a
spare set up here if brian wants it ....

Old February 9th 12, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Jim gm4dhj ..." wrote in message ...

Yes a nice folding dish and 12v freesat box from ALDI...just the job...got a
spare set up here if brian wants it ....

Is it a genuine Freesat? (Freesat is a brand name like SKY but free.)

Old February 9th 12, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim gm4dhj ...

"David" wrote in message

"Jim gm4dhj ..." wrote in message ...

Yes a nice folding dish and 12v freesat box from ALDI...just the job...got
spare set up here if brian wants it ....

Is it a genuine Freesat? (Freesat is a brand name like SKY but free.)

no you are correct it is just a COMAG sat RX and gets more channels than
freesat...I have a Grundig freesat box with 500gb hard disk at my static
caravan and it gets less channels.......my fav rx is my LIDL SL65 gets all
the channels going......

Old February 9th 12, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

Jim gm4dhj ... said the following on 09/02/2012 10:23:

no you are correct it is just a COMAG sat RX and gets more channels than
freesat...I have a Grundig freesat box with 500gb hard disk at my static
caravan and it gets less channels.......my fav rx is my LIDL SL65 gets all
the channels going......

Most Freesat boxes have the ability to store and receive all 'free to air'
channels.

Roy

Old February 9th 12, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Roy" wrote in message ...

Most Freesat boxes have the ability to store and receive all 'free to air'
channels.

Yes, but it is messing on mine at least. Got to look up on charts data for
each one and put it in manually one at a time. Best to get a proper
satellite box like mentioned which will do automatic tuning and get free
stations as well only.
A point to remember is can you align a dish?