France

Old February 19th 12, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
polly filler

Default France

I understand that from last Jan 2012 is is now illegal to have speed camera
locations in ones sat-nav in France.
Also coming later this year, in France, I understand that all cars will
have to carry a breathalizer kit on them, as well as the usuall 2 Triangles
etc.
Anyone else heard about these?

Old February 19th 12, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne[_3_]

Yes you will no longer be able to have speed camera POI's on your Sat Nav,
infact the likes of TomTom have stopped udating camera locations. You can
apparently have 'Danger Zones' on the sat nav but I am not quite sure what
they are. I removed all speed camera data from my sat nav some years ago as
we were going to Switzerland where they are also banned.

As far as the Breathalizers are concerned I don't think its law yet and I
wonder whether the outcome might depend of who wins the French elections.
They are available quite cheaply on line and I expect every French
supermarket will sell them. I find it a strange idea but then it is
French!!!!

David

o.uk...

Old February 19th 12, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"David Klyne" wrote in message
o.uk...
Yes you will no longer be able to have speed camera POI's on
your Sat Nav, infact the likes of TomTom have stopped udating
camera locations. You can apparently have 'Danger Zones' on the
sat nav but I am not quite sure what they are. I removed all
speed camera data from my sat nav some years ago as we were
going to Switzerland where they are also banned.

As far as the Breathalizers are concerned I don't think its law
yet and I wonder whether the outcome might depend of who wins
the French elections. They are available quite cheaply on line
and I expect every French supermarket will sell them. I find it
a strange idea but then it is French!!!!

I read the other day that they are single use devices and sell
for about 2.50 apiece over here but 1 apiece in France.

I wonder how they propose to police it?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old February 19th 12, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

On 19/02/2012 17:26, David Klyne wrote:
Yes you will no longer be able to have speed camera POI's on your Sat Nav,
infact the likes of TomTom have stopped udating camera locations. You can
apparently have 'Danger Zones' on the sat nav but I am not quite sure what
they are. I removed all speed camera data from my sat nav some years ago as
we were going to Switzerland where they are also banned.

It would be interesting to see how the laws actually describe what is
forbidden.

I think that most POI files could be renamed and a different set of
icons linked to them leaving the actual location data intact. It might
not be too convenent but if you wish to have this information could be a
way out.

If the actual location data is a problem how do they differentiate
between a POI for say, somewhere that you had a picnic, that just
happens also to be where a camera was located?

Old February 20th 12, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Cole[_2_]

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 17:10:14 -0000, "polly filler"
wrote:

I understand that from last Jan 2012 is is now illegal to have speed camera
locations in ones sat-nav in France.
Also coming later this year, in France, I understand that all cars will
have to carry a breathalizer kit on them, as well as the usuall 2 Triangles
etc.
Anyone else heard about these?

I'd certainly heard of the speed camera one, but they are all marked on the
(French produced) Michelin maps and are (I think still) on on-line michelin
maps. Tomtom update has removed the countries where they cannot be shown
and my car's built in Sat-nav doesn't include speed cameras (German car and
speed camera data is illegal in Germany).

Richard
--
www.caravanningnow.co.uk, www.rcole.org and www.homeindorset.com
I'll never understand my neighbour. He has recently started wheel-clamping his own caravan when he finds he has inadvertently parked it in his own drive! I wonder if he is a sadist, a masochist or both. Alan Thakray - Letters to Viz
Old February 21st 12, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Klaus Meinhard

Hallo Richard,

doesn't include speed cameras (German car and speed camera data is
illegal in Germany).

The data is not illegal in Germany. You can even store them on your
satnav. _Using_ them is illegal.

My german Falk satnav, e.g., has the data stored (and updated by Falk
every time you connect it to the internet) in its memory. If you want
to switch on the speedcam warning function, you get a grave reminder
that it is illegal in some countries to use it. And it is switched off
every time you switch off the screen.

So, from a practical point of view: how is the police going to prove
you actually used the speedcam warner? Remember, it is not illegal to
_have_ them. You'd have to leave it running when the police stops you.

--
herzliche Gre,

Klaus Meinhard