Electrical problem

Old February 21st 12, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nige[_4_]

Default Electrical problem

2003 Bailey Pagaent, last weekend the heater fuse overheated to the point of
melting the fused spur unit.

It had been fitted with a 5a fuse & the load is rated at 8.8amps, i bought
another fused spur & put in a 10a fuse & it's OK, but still gets a bit warm
around the fuse area.

No breakers tripped & the RCD didnt go, just overheated & melted the fused
spur?

Any ideas?

Old February 21st 12, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

I have one of those caravans and I had not realised it had fused spurs, I
will look tomorrow, can you tell me where it is please?
Think my 240v setting is 500w, 1000w and 2000w so I doubt 5amp fuse is
sufficient and your 10watt being better.
I thought all the 240v protection was with the consumer unit. Apart from
fuses that are in 13amp plugs.

Old February 21st 12, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nige[_4_]

"David" wrote in message
I have one of those caravans and I had not realised it had fused spurs, I
will look tomorrow, can you tell me where it is please?
Think my 240v setting is 500w, 1000w and 2000w so I doubt 5amp fuse is
sufficient and your 10watt being better.
I thought all the 240v protection was with the consumer unit. Apart from
fuses that are in 13amp plugs.

Mine has two, one for the water heater, one for the heater, water one is at
the back of the van, the heater is near the TV plinth.

Old February 21st 12, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

It happens that Dougal formulated :
On 21/02/2012 17:24, Nige wrote:
2003 Bailey Pagaent, last weekend the heater fuse overheated to the
point of melting the fused spur unit.

It had been fitted with a 5a fuse & the load is rated at 8.8amps, i
bought another fused spur & put in a 10a fuse & it's OK, but still gets
a bit warm around the fuse area.

No breakers tripped & the RCD didnt go, just overheated & melted the
fused spur?

Any ideas?

Loose connection(s)

Loose connection and/or poor quality fused spur.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old February 21st 12, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nige[_4_]

. uk...
On 21/02/2012 17:24, Nige wrote:
2003 Bailey Pagaent, last weekend the heater fuse overheated to the
point of melting the fused spur unit.

It had been fitted with a 5a fuse & the load is rated at 8.8amps, i
bought another fused spur & put in a 10a fuse & it's OK, but still gets
a bit warm around the fuse area.

No breakers tripped & the RCD didnt go, just overheated & melted the
fused spur?

Any ideas?

Loose connection(s)

Loose connection and/or poor quality fused spur.

It is a clipsal spur, no loose connections, as i checked fro that when i
changed it.

Old February 21st 12, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 21/02/2012 19:11, Nige wrote:

It is a clipsal spur, no loose connections, as i checked fro that when i
changed it.

How tightly does the fuse fit in its clips?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old February 21st 12, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

On 21/02/2012 17:24, Nige wrote:
2003 Bailey Pagaent, last weekend the heater fuse overheated to the
point of melting the fused spur unit.

It had been fitted with a 5a fuse & the load is rated at 8.8amps, i
bought another fused spur & put in a 10a fuse & it's OK, but still gets
a bit warm around the fuse area.

No breakers tripped & the RCD didnt go, just overheated & melted the
fused spur?

Any ideas?

Loose connection(s)

Loose connection and/or poor quality fused spur.

It is a clipsal spur, no loose connections, as i checked fro that when i
changed it.

It should be rated for at least 13amps and it is carrying only
8.8ampps. For it to heat up, there must be some point of high
resistance within the unit generating the heat.

Old February 21st 12, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nige[_4_]

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 21/02/2012 19:11, Nige wrote:

It is a clipsal spur, no loose connections, as i checked fro that when i
changed it.

How tightly does the fuse fit in its clips?

Very, it was welded in by melted plastic.

I checked the fuse after taking it apart, it was gripped tightly indeed.

I'll take my multimeter next time i go, bloody odd indeed

Old February 21st 12, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

On 21/02/2012 21:45, Nige wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 21/02/2012 19:11, Nige wrote:

It is a clipsal spur, no loose connections, as i checked for that when i
changed it.

How tightly does the fuse fit in its clips?

Very, it was welded in by melted plastic.

I checked the fuse after taking it apart, it was gripped tightly indeed.

I'll take my multimeter next time i go, bloody odd indeed

Is this one of these modular units where the module clips into some bus
bars?

The heat could have been generated between the fuse and its clips but I
think that you've been there. The heat does not have to have been
generated locally. Work back and check the fit of the module in the bus
bars and the connections of the supply to the bus bars. Check every
joint in the system. Other than loose fits, look out for signs of
discolouration resulting from overheat as a guide to where things might
not be OK.