Problem with 12V on caravan

Old March 12th 12, 06:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Default Problem with 12V on caravan

I have a problem with my caravan 12 volt system.

My 'van is a 2007 Bailey Senator Series 5 "Indiana"

I store it at a friends. I keep the mains connected all the time it is in
store so my battery is always charged as I use a motor mover to get the van
out.

Last week I found that the mains had gone down but don't know when but long
ago enough to have stopped charging and my 12v battery was flat. I have
sorted out the mains and note that my 12v lights and other 12v things still
do not work.

I wonder if my charger (integrated into the caravan PDU/Consumer Unit) and
the rest of the 12v is kaput. I thought that even without a leisure battery
connected the 12v system would still work off the mains-12v transformer.

I have put the battery on charge so I can reconnect it later today to see if
12v works off a charged battery.

Has anyone any comment/ideas please?

Jim

Old March 12th 12, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Jim" wrote in message ...

[...]

On my 2003 Bailey the 12v converter unit failed just like yours during the
Winter.
Vary a great deal in price from dealers shop around, I found internet best
price, my local dealer met the lowest I found.
From Bailey were twice as much. The makers of the units will not repair
them.
Think they must be a regular item to fail as even they expensive dealers
stock a lot of them.
The failure did not do my battery a lot of good, just be careful there.

Old March 12th 12, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Paul - xxx
writes
Jim wrote:

I wonder if my charger (integrated into the caravan PDU/Consumer
Unit) and the rest of the 12v is kaput. I thought that even without
a leisure battery connected the 12v system would still work off the
mains-12v transformer.

I have put the battery on charge so I can reconnect it later today to
see if 12v works off a charged battery.

Has anyone any comment/ideas please?

Many systems, dunno specifically for bailey, _do_ need a 12v battery to
be connected to work correctly.

Generally not on caravans IME, Standalone car chargers as bought in
Halfrauds will not charge a totally flat battery.
Sounds as though the 12v charger is u/s.
However if the OP charges his battery independently then connects it up
that will show if the caravan electrics are OK and then it narrows it
down to a charging issue.
--
hugh
Old March 12th 12, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 12/03/2012 07:07, Jim wrote:
[...]

Regards

Have you checked all the relevant fuses?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old March 12th 12, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 12/03/2012 07:07, Jim wrote:
[...]

Yes - all fuses checked and OK.

--

Jim

Old March 12th 12, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Paul - xxx
writes
Jim wrote:

[...]

Yes - all 12v electrics work when a charged battery is connected - so now
95% convinced charger is U/S.

--

Jim

Old March 12th 12, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"David" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message ...

[...]

From Bailey were twice as much. The makers of the units will not repair
them.
Think they must be a regular item to fail as even they expensive dealers
stock a lot of them.
The failure did not do my battery a lot of good, just be careful there.

From Bailey it is 123.49 plus 8.25 P&P. Possibly found one on internet at
88.40 + 4.60 P&P. Who was your internet supplier? Was it Caravan
Solutions of Clowne, Derbyshire?

--

Jim

Old March 13th 12, 06:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Jim" wrote in message ...

From Bailey it is 123.49 plus 8.25 P&P. Possibly found one on internet at
88.40 + 4.60 P&P. Who was your internet supplier? Was it Caravan
Solutions of Clowne, Derbyshire?

--

Jim

Now mine is a 2003 caravan and I think at some point a higher ampere one was
used by Bailey so that might make it different.

I traced the original name of the maker to now being Powerpart for caravan
dealers accessory shops.
Mine is P116 Normal output 13.8v 10 amp. Max. output 12 amp.
Local dealer had it at 79.95 sold me at 75, which was around the lowest
internet price I found.

It is just like the one I took out.

Old March 13th 12, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David[_14_]

Before spending any money check the connector on the power unit.

A friend of mine had these symptoms, caused by a connector coming adrift
slightly at the power unit. caused some heating as well.

This was on A 2 berth Bailey 2004 model (I think)

Old March 13th 12, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"David" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message ...

From Bailey it is 123.49 plus 8.25 P&P. Possibly found one on internet
at
88.40 + 4.60 P&P. Who was your internet supplier? Was it Caravan
Solutions of Clowne, Derbyshire?

--

Jim

Now mine is a 2003 caravan and I think at some point a higher ampere one
was used by Bailey so that might make it different.

I traced the original name of the maker to now being Powerpart for caravan
dealers accessory shops.
Mine is P116 Normal output 13.8v 10 amp. Max. output 12 amp.
Local dealer had it at 79.95 sold me at 75, which was around the lowest
internet price I found.

It is just like the one I took out.

Yes mine is different it is a 20AMP version - I bought one this morning
found at Caravan Solutions see http://www.caravanpartsaccessories.co.uk/ for
details. Price 88.40 against Bailey's 123.49.

Fitted and tested - all OK.

Jim