Price of EHU's ( A caravanning question)

Old December 27th 03, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
HarryBurr1

Default Price of EHU's ( A caravanning question)

How do sites work out the price of electricity. I can only go on CC sites and
private cl's. I have no experieince of commercial site prices. Form what I can
gather the CC EHU price is about 2.50
Whilst walking around a canal marina today I noticed the price for electric to
a narrow boat hook up was 1 per night and the notice dated 1st Oct 2003.
So what's the difference between a caravan and a narrow boat as far as electic
is concerned.
Are we being ripped off. Polite replies only :-)

harryB
Old December 27th 03, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy_R

"HarryBurr1" wrote in message
How do sites work out the price of electricity. I can only go on CC sites

and
private cl's. I have no experieince of commercial site prices. Form what I

can
gather the CC EHU price is about 2.50
Whilst walking around a canal marina today I noticed the price for

electric to
a narrow boat hook up was 1 per night and the notice dated 1st Oct 2003.
So what's the difference between a caravan and a narrow boat as far as

electic
is concerned.
Are we being ripped off. Polite replies only :-)

It's a free market. If you don't want it, don't buy it (and stop whinging).

Rgds

Andy R

Old December 27th 03, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

HarryBurr1 posted ...

How do sites work out the price of electricity. I can only go on CC
sites and private cl's. I have no experieince of commercial site
prices. Form what I can gather the CC EHU price is about 2.50
Whilst walking around a canal marina today I noticed the price for
electric to a narrow boat hook up was 1 per night and the notice
dated 1st Oct 2003.
So what's the difference between a caravan and a narrow boat as far
as electic is concerned.
Are we being ripped off. Polite replies only :-)

I've never felt I've been overcharged when I've used a Hook-Up. I would
also guess that narrow boats might not have as many electric 'gadgets' that
require hooking up as the average site using caravan .. though I may be way
wrong on both scores ..

I guess it's your choice to buy or not ..

--
Paul

Old December 27th 03, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Lander

How do sites work out the price of electricity. I can only go on CC sites
SNIP
a caravan and a narrow boat as far as electic is concerned.
Are we being ripped off. Polite replies only :-)
harryB

As I understand it, the site owner is breaking the law if they
" re-sell electricity". I suppose they are allowed to make a charge
for the use of the hardware they provide for you to use it.

No orange cable here either.
Pete
(Looking north towards the Crooked Spire)
www.mountainactivitysection.org.uk will be updated before the new year.

Old December 27th 03, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
david.halley

HarryBurr1 wrote in message
How do sites work out the price of electricity. I can only go on CC sites

and
private cl's. I have no experieince of commercial site prices. Form what I

can
gather the CC EHU price is about 2.50
Whilst walking around a canal marina today I noticed the price for

electric to
a narrow boat hook up was 1 per night and the notice dated 1st Oct 2003.
So what's the difference between a caravan and a narrow boat as far as

electic
is concerned.
Are we being ripped off. Polite replies only :-)

Last year the law changed and there is now a maximum markup that can be
added to the cost price to the site. This does not reflect at all the
infrastructure costs of moving the electricity in a safe manner from the
arrival point on the site to each individual pitch.

Most sites now include electricity in the site charge and may offer a small
discount for those not using it.

For those who choose not to use it, you are, in fact, paying for getting the
stuff to your pitch anyway.

Cheers

Old December 27th 03, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"HarryBurr1" wrote in message
How do sites work out the price of electricity. I can only go on CC sites

and
private cl's. I have no experieince of commercial site prices. Form what I

can
gather the CC EHU price is about 2.50
Whilst walking around a canal marina today I noticed the price for

electric to
a narrow boat hook up was 1 per night and the notice dated 1st Oct 2003.
So what's the difference between a caravan and a narrow boat as far as

electic
is concerned.
Are we being ripped off. Polite replies only :-)

Harry

As a user of CC sites I am sure you are aware that the cost of electricity
is now included in the price of the pitch regardless of whether you want to
use it. I am sure the CC worked out that the vast majority of members always
used electrics so they would not have a problem. The CC embarked on this
method because they felt that if they continued to charge a separate fee,
which did vary between seasons, that they would be breaking the rules that
govern the resale of electricity. These rules were introduced to stop
unscrupulous landlords charging astronomical prices for the supply of
electricity. I am not sure how non CC sites justify the non inclusion of the
price of electrics within their pitch fee, or have the CC been overcautious?

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old December 27th 03, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Darren Jarvis

How do sites work out the price of electricity. I can only go on CC sites
and
private cl's. I have no experieince of commercial site prices. Form what I

can
gather the CC EHU price is about 2.50
Whilst walking around a canal marina today I noticed the price for

electric to
a narrow boat hook up was 1 per night and the notice dated 1st Oct 2003.
So what's the difference between a caravan and a narrow boat as far as

electic
is concerned.
Are we being ripped off. Polite replies only :-)

I don't use CC sites or CLs so can't comment on their policy - the sites I
go to charge x extra per night if mains is required. If it's less than
2/night then I'll usually cough up (I don't usually use an awning so I save
money there) but I'll make sure that as many items in 'van which are capable
of running from mains do so. OTOH, if I'm only there for one night (not
uncommon) then I probably won't bother at all and just use the gas and
battery...

In answer to your question though, if you are being ripped off depends on
how much they charge and how much you use. In summer you probably won't use
2.50 per day, in winter though you can burn through that much in a matter
of hours!

Darren

Old December 27th 03, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougie

"david.halley" wrote in message

Most sites now include electricity in the site charge and may offer a

small
discount for those not using it.....

Ahem - this of course refers to those of you that only caravan in good old
Blightey!!

Those of us who regularly caravan abroad - free of the Caravan Club
mentality - check out the price of hook-ups before we sign up!

But then again we shop around for the best deals in caravans as well ...

Always beware those that "might " be the rip off merchants.

---

Old December 27th 03, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:36:15 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Lander"
wrote:

As I understand it, the site owner is breaking the law if they
" re-sell electricity". I suppose they are allowed to make a charge
for the use of the hardware they provide for you to use it.

They break the law if they resell it to you at a higher price than
they pay for it themselves. However if they quote an allin price for
the caravan and do not allow any exceptions then they can set their
fees at whatever level they wish as they are selling a site not the
electric.

(remove the spam to reply)