Dordogne trip

Old December 28th 03, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sigmund

Default Dordogne trip

We are thinking of going to the Dordogne region in August. Anyone been
there? It looks like either St Malo or Caen are the best ports to head for
from Portsmouth, the distance to Dordogne is roughly (370-ish miles) the
same from both ports but I suppose St Malo will mean extra hours on the
ferry so, at the moment, I'm inclined to use Caen.
I'd appreciate recommendations for the following if you know any.
1. An overnight stopover for the journey down (not an Aire).
2. A good site in the Dordogne area, preferably one with fishing close by.
This will be our second trip to France. Last year we stayed near Quimper in
Brittany now we want to venture further afield.
Thanks in advance.

Old December 28th 03, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"Sigmund" wrote in message
We are thinking of going to the Dordogne region in August. Anyone been
there? It looks like either St Malo or Caen are the best ports to head

for
from Portsmouth, the distance to Dordogne is roughly (370-ish miles) the
same from both ports but I suppose St Malo will mean extra hours on the
ferry so, at the moment, I'm inclined to use Caen.
I'd appreciate recommendations for the following if you know any.
1. An overnight stopover for the journey down (not an Aire).
2. A good site in the Dordogne area, preferably one with fishing close by.
This will be our second trip to France. Last year we stayed near Quimper

in
Brittany now we want to venture further afield.
Thanks in advance.

Sigmund

The last time we stayed in the Dordogne we stayed at a site called Moulin de
David, nice site with good facilities and if you have kids there is a lot
organised for them in the high season. However if you are a couple and have
to go in high season you might find a bit much. There did seem to be a lake
which looked as though it was used for fishing. Having said that the French
seem just as keen on fishing as the Brits so you are never far from
somewhere to fish I expect. There is a site report on my website if it is of
interest. The Dordogne is a delightful area of France and you will not
regret making the journey. It might be helpful to give an approx point at
which you want to stop for the night. Can't help with ferries as our most
recent visit to the Dordogne was part of a big circular tour of France and
used Dover-Calais which depending on where you are in the UK and your
willingness to have a long drive once in France might not be convenient.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old December 28th 03, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Sigmund" wrote in message
We are thinking of going to the Dordogne region in August. Anyone been
there? It looks like either St Malo or Caen are the best

In my view the Dordogne is worth a visit (once).
Very like Shropshire/Hereford countryside. Interesting historical sites and
very full- exceeding full, of Brits. Mostly talking loudly in Home County
accents.
DaveK.

Old December 28th 03, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Crawford

"Sigmund" wrote in message
We are thinking of going to the Dordogne region in August. Anyone been
there? It looks like either St Malo or Caen are the best ports to head

for
from Portsmouth, the distance to Dordogne is roughly (370-ish miles) the
same from both ports but I suppose St Malo will mean extra hours on the
ferry so, at the moment, I'm inclined to use Caen.
I'd appreciate recommendations for the following if you know any.
1. An overnight stopover for the journey down (not an Aire).
2. A good site in the Dordogne area, preferably one with fishing close by.
This will be our second trip to France. Last year we stayed near Quimper

in
Brittany now we want to venture further afield.
Thanks in advance.

We stayed at Bel Ombrage, it's in the CC brochure, really enjoyed it, plenty
of space, good clean toilet facilities. We were about 2 miles from the river
which was excellent for fishing, the site also has a small river running
alongside it for trout fishing.

Jim

Old December 29th 03, 01:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Miller

"Sigmund" wrote in message
We are thinking of going to the Dordogne region in August. Anyone

been
there? It looks like either St Malo or Caen are the best ports to

head for
from Portsmouth, the distance to Dordogne is roughly (370-ish

miles) the
same from both ports but I suppose St Malo will mean extra hours

on the
ferry so, at the moment, I'm inclined to use Caen.
I'd appreciate recommendations for the following if you know any.
1. An overnight stopover for the journey down (not an Aire).
2. A good site in the Dordogne area, preferably one with fishing

close by.
This will be our second trip to France. Last year we stayed near

Quimper in
Brittany now we want to venture further afield.
Thanks in advance.

Been to the Dordogne area for the last two years and stayed at Port
de Limeuil campsite which sits on the confluence of the Dordogne and
Vezere rivers right opposite very picturesque Limeuil village.
Nearest town Le Bugue - about 3 miles. Central for most things.
Excellent site with good pool complex, bar/takeaway. French owners
who are welcoming and speak excellent english and with some english
staff. Eurocamp present, but don't let that put you off. Site runs
canoe trips, and I think you can fish, but not one of myinterests.
Checkout the website at www.campings-dordogne.com/port-de-limeuil/.
We went via Calais, so can't help with the overnight stop, but get a
copy of the CC Camping Europe guide for France and choose a
municipal from there and you won't go far wrong.

HTH

John Miller