Water pump problem

Old July 13th 03, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Eric Clarke

Default Water pump problem

go to www.faultfinder.freeserve.co.uk
Eric
"Pete" wrote in message
We have an Abbey GT 516 and like most vans I've seen the external water

pump
drops into the water container and the other end 'plugs' into a socket on
the outside of the van. An internal switch operates the pump to lift the
water into a holding tank inside the van. The problem is that it only

works
intermittently (presumably some sort of bad connection) and I have to keep
fiddling with the connection where the plug fits into the side of the van

make it work (not much fun when it's pouring with rain).

I don't want to go and buy a new pump, hose and plug assembly only to find
it's the socket that's not working properly. I suspect it may be the

socket
(a circular fitting fixed to the outside of the van, but I don't know how

remove it and check the wiring etc (I can't get to it from the inside
without taking the seating assembly out, and there's no obvious fixings on
the outside).

Does anyone know the correct way to remove the socket? Will it unscrew? I
don't want to force it and damage the whole assembly and the van as well
probably!
The pump is a whale and the socket has two female electrical fittings to
accept the two prongs on the plug, but it doesn't have a manufacturers

name
on it as far as I can tell.

Thanks for any help or advice you may offer.

Pete