OT - suggestions for ISP

Old December 28th 03, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

Default OT - suggestions for ISP

Tiscali seem completely unable to filter any of the filth coming to my email
address, not only that but they dump a whole load of pornography which is
not addressed directly to my address; i.e. to a kid's mispelling of it. I
would like to change my ISP and would appreciate some help. Any names and
experiences would be more than welcome.

Old December 28th 03, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"bowtiejim" wrote in message
Tiscali seem completely unable to filter any of the filth coming to my

email
address, not only that but they dump a whole load of pornography which is
not addressed directly to my address; i.e. to a kid's mispelling of it. I
would like to change my ISP and would appreciate some help. Any names and
experiences would be more than welcome.

What you describe is fairly common place. I have been with BT Internet for
many years both dial-up and more latterly with ADSL. My main BT address
attracts a lot of SPAM. At least they do try and filter most of it out and
about every two weeks I log to my web mail to clear out the spams, regularly
between 800 and a 1000. This does not seen to prevent me getting more.
Perhaps you need to change your approach. When you change ISP don't use you
main mail address for anything other than communication between friends and
family. Never click on the no mail button on any Spam, this just confirms
that your mail address is still current. Opt for a secondary e-mail account
with either BT or Clara. This is free and can discarded if Spam becomes a
problem. I am soon to change to Plus Net as my ISP but if you want to read
reviews my I suggest you follow this link:- http://www.ispreview.co.uk

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old December 28th 03, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:57:23 -0000, "bowtiejim"
wrote:

Tiscali seem completely unable to filter any of the filth coming to my email
address, not only that but they dump a whole load of pornography which is
not addressed directly to my address; i.e. to a kid's mispelling of it. I
would like to change my ISP and would appreciate some help. Any names and
experiences would be more than welcome.

I would not blame Tiscali for this it happens in most places. The
messages that come to you with seemingly no direct address are usually
sent with a list of names in the BCC field these names will be similar
in patern to the one in the To field. It's all done by someones
machine somewhere, not very pleasant but not a lot you can do.
I've used NTL for the last three years and been very happy with them,
and the deal for someone with a BT line is very sweet, but over the
last month or so the connection has not been as good so I hesitate to
recommend them but you can do far worse.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old December 28th 03, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Parry

bowtiejim wrote:
Tiscali seem completely unable to filter any of the filth coming to
my email address, not only that but they dump a whole load of
pornography which is not addressed directly to my address; i.e. to a
kid's mispelling of it. I would like to change my ISP and would
appreciate some help. Any names and experiences would be more than
welcome.

Tiscali are famous for being a spam friendly ISP. Perhaps they should be
reminded of the new anti spam legislation in the UK.

Mailwasher is most definately a very useful product for anti spam,

http://www.firetrust.com/home/

--
Steve Parry

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

http://wrexhamseals.tripod.com

Old December 28th 03, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

I use www..tesco.net anytime at 12-49 per month.

Please reply to News Group.

Old December 28th 03, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chuck

Tiscali are doing Email filtering for 4.99 per year. I was with Tiscali for
many years but changed because of Spam. I was told they are dumping spam in
your email boxes so you join how true it is I don't know. But I am with
Onetel now @ 9.99 per month. I bought Norton Internet Security 2004 and
that filters the **** brilliantly.

Chuck

Old December 28th 03, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

"Steve Parry" wrote in message
bowtiejim wrote:
Tiscali seem completely unable to filter any of the filth coming to
my email address, not only that but they dump a whole load of
pornography which is not addressed directly to my address; i.e. to a
kid's mispelling of it. I would like to change my ISP and would
appreciate some help. Any names and experiences would be more than
welcome.

Tiscali are famous for being a spam friendly ISP. Perhaps they should be
reminded of the new anti spam legislation in the UK.

Mailwasher is most definately a very useful product for anti spam,

http://www.firetrust.com/home/

--
Steve Parry

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

http://wrexhamseals.tripod.com

Thanks guys. I think I'll try BT. Perhaps it will encourage them to think
seriously about wiring the village for Broadband - ha; ha.

Old December 28th 03, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 18:13:56 -0000, "bowtiejim"
wrote:

| Thanks guys. I think I'll try BT. Perhaps it will encourage them to think
| seriously about wiring the village for Broadband - ha; ha.

I'm with BT and the spam is horrendous. Maybe 200 per day.
With Agent and a well honed killfile means it takes me at least 1 min per
day to clear it, sometimes 2 mins.

Dave F

Old December 28th 03, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 18:47:06 -0000, "Andrew Kay"
wrote:

| You can
| only use one primary address for EMail - such as - so
| you are crackered if your primary Email address does get spammed.

My BT Connect (?20? email addys) Primary email address gets spammed even
though I have *never* used it *anywhere*

Dave F