Alko 2004

Old December 28th 03, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
PhilB

Default Alko 2004

Hi All,
I have a 2.5 year old Swift Conquerer with a standard coupling and thinking
of replacing it with an Alko 2004 has anyone done it, if so any problems?
MTIA
Phil

Old December 28th 03, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"PhilB" wrote in message
. ..
Hi All,
I have a 2.5 year old Swift Conquerer with a standard coupling and

thinking
of replacing it with an Alko 2004 has anyone done it, if so any problems?

I changed my normal Alko coupling last year to a Alko1300, which I think is
replaced by the 2004, anyway had no problems. I followed the very good step
by step instructions supplied.

Please reply to News Group.

Old December 28th 03, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Doc

"PhilB" asked:
Hi All,
I have a 2.5 year old Swift Conquerer with a standard coupling and

thinking
of replacing it with an Alko 2004 has anyone done it, if so any problems?
MTIA
Phil

----****----
Phil,

Go for the Winterhoff 3000 instead. It has a number of advantages over the
Alko and came out best in German comparative tests.

i) Only 2 large friction pads; Alko 2004 has been known to jam on because of
loosening of the 4 small pads.
ii) The handle of the Winterhoff only goes up to ~60 degrees and so is much
less liable to foul on external spare wheel carriers of 4x4's. This is a
problem with the Alko.
iii) NO special tow ball needed with the Winterhoff. It is for the Alko.

Yes, I have a Winterhoff and can vouch for it's efficacy.

Cheers, Doc.

Old December 28th 03, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 18:22:40 -0000, "PhilB"
wrote:

Hi All,
I have a 2.5 year old Swift Conquerer with a standard coupling and thinking
of replacing it with an Alko 2004 has anyone done it, if so any problems?
MTIA

No idea about the Swift but Swift now fit these couplings as standard.
I have been more than a little impressed with my Alko 2004.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old December 28th 03, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
andy

In message , Doc
muttered:

efficacy

My wife uses words like that!

I also have the Winterhoff, I don't know about its efficacy - but I can
vouch for the fact that it's a good piece of kit...
--
Andy
Old December 29th 03, 06:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Doc" wrote in message

Yes, I have a Winterhoff and can vouch for it's efficacy.

The Alko model seems to vary in price a lot at dealers, 199 to 250. What
price range on the Winterhoff?
I ask as I'm thinking of upgrading my 1300 to the 2004.

Please reply to News Group.

Old December 29th 03, 06:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger M

Bought a second-hand head some time ago, no instructions. However, had no
difficulty fixing it. The most important part of replacing a head is to
ensure you keep the huge reversing spring in place as you swap over. I did
this by knocking the pin out with a drift and leaving the drift in place to
be extracted after the new head slid onto the shaft.

Re-reading my description, above, it does not sound very helpful but when
you start the job you will see what I mean!

Roger M

Old December 29th 03, 07:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Roger M" wrote in message
Bought a second-hand head some time ago, no instructions. However, had no
difficulty fixing it. The most important part of replacing a head is to
ensure you keep the huge reversing spring in place as you swap over. I did
this by knocking the pin out with a drift and leaving the drift in place

be extracted after the new head slid onto the shaft.

A new kit had a pin in for this purpose.

Please reply to News Group.

Old December 29th 03, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Balcombe

The drift may be part of the kit but if not your AL-ko supplier should be
able to help. You might find that the pin sticks when you are trying to
drift it out as I did recently in trying to fix the necessary brackets for a
lock to an older Alko 2000 head. If so be careful because continued hitting
of the drift will cause it to play at the end inhibiting further progress. I
found that a combination of returning the pin back in and slight rotation of
the head/ pushing / pulling of the head (to get better alignment helped as
did leaving the easy front pin in situ until the rear pin holding the spring
had been removed.

Old December 29th 03, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike R

[snip]
ii) The handle of the Winterhoff only goes up to ~60 degrees and so is

much
less liable to foul on external spare wheel carriers of 4x4's. This is a
problem with the Alko.

Which 4x4s OR all? and how do you overcome that?

Thanks

Mike