Any advice on awnings?

Old December 29th 03, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

Default Any advice on awnings?

I'm going to buy my very first caravan next year (2004), a 4/5 berth,
and it occurs to me that an awning might make it considerably more user
friendly - somewhere to store cycles, hang wet clothes, leave muddy
boots, etc, and possibly even to sit-out in. I've never been caravanning
before and it's decades since I last went camping so I'm a little rusty
too say the least. I wonder if anyone's got any useful tips or
experiences on choosing an awning?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on all aspects from materials and fittings
to size and usability, and whilst I realise that size is probably a
matter of personal preference, is big necessarily better? Although a big
awning obviously provides more space, maybe that's countered by needing
two able-bodied adults to erect it or some other drawback? And what
about cost? Do you get what you pay for, or are you just paying for a
brand?

Thanking you in anticipation.
Stewart

Old December 29th 03, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Stewart wrote on 29/12/2003 :-
I'd appreciate your thoughts on all aspects from materials and fittings
to size and usability, and whilst I realise that size is probably a
matter of personal preference, is big necessarily better? Although a big
awning obviously provides more space, maybe that's countered by needing
two able-bodied adults to erect it or some other drawback? And what
about cost? Do you get what you pay for, or are you just paying for a
brand?

Hi Stewart,

You will need at least one able bodied person plus at least one other
to feed it into the awning rail.

The bigger they are, obviously the more expensive although s/h ones can
be had quite cheaply. What usually varies assuming a full size awning,
is the depth of awning measured out from the caravan. You might find
one of a slightly bigger than the caravan width (8' x van length)
serves your needs. A 10' or 12' would not be that much heavier.

A good way to work out the size needed would be to peg out string in
front of your van, so you get a better idea of the size needed before
committing yourself.

Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Old December 29th 03, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Stewart" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe consider one of the permanently attached wind-out type of awning
similar to those on camper vans. I had a caravan for 10 years and only used
the awning a couple of times because it's a PITA to erect and take down. If
it's raining it's even worse, you get wet, the awning gets dirty and when
you get home you've got to get the thing out again to dry it. The camper
we've got now has a wind-out awning and it takes about 30 seconds to get out
or stow away. If we go back to caravanning it'll definately be with an
awning like this.

Rgds

Andy R

Old December 29th 03, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:33:13 -0000, "Stewart"
wrote:

| I'm going to buy my very first caravan next year (2004), a 4/5 berth,
| and it occurs to me that an awning might make it considerably more user
| friendly - somewhere to store cycles, hang wet clothes, leave muddy
| boots, etc, and possibly even to sit-out in. I've never been caravanning
| before and it's decades since I last went camping so I'm a little rusty
| too say the least. I wonder if anyone's got any useful tips or
| experiences on choosing an awning?
|
| I'd appreciate your thoughts on all aspects from materials and fittings
| to size and usability, and whilst I realise that size is probably a
| matter of personal preference, is big necessarily better? Although a big
| awning obviously provides more space, maybe that's countered by needing
| two able-bodied adults to erect it or some other drawback? And what
| about cost? Do you get what you pay for, or are you just paying for a
| brand?

I can not find how many watts these use.
For use in a van one must know how many hours they will run one off a fully
charged 110 Ampere hour (1320 watt hour) battery.

Dave F
Old December 29th 03, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

wrote:

| I'm going to buy my very first caravan next year (2004), a 4/5 berth,
| and it occurs to me that an awning might make it considerably more user
| friendly - somewhere to store cycles, hang wet clothes, leave muddy
| boots, etc, and possibly even to sit-out in. I've never been caravanning
| before and it's decades since I last went camping so I'm a little rusty
| too say the least. I wonder if anyone's got any useful tips or
| experiences on choosing an awning?
|
| I'd appreciate your thoughts on all aspects from materials and fittings
| to size and usability, and whilst I realise that size is probably a
| matter of personal preference, is big necessarily better? Although a big
| awning obviously provides more space, maybe that's countered by needing
| two able-bodied adults to erect it or some other drawback? And what
| about cost? Do you get what you pay for, or are you just paying for a
| brand?

Go out once or twice without an awning before you buy.
You will then know if you need one.
After 5 years with our van we are still thinking about one.

Dave F

Old December 29th 03, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Andy R wrote on 29/12/2003 :-
Maybe consider one of the permanently attached wind-out type of awning
similar to those on camper vans. I had a caravan for 10 years and only used
the awning a couple of times because it's a PITA to erect and take down. If
it's raining it's even worse, you get wet, the awning gets dirty and when
you get home you've got to get the thing out again to dry it. The camper
we've got now has a wind-out awning and it takes about 30 seconds to get out
or stow away. If we go back to caravanning it'll definately be with an
awning like this.

I wouldn't call myself particullarly fit, but we can have the awning
out and set up in less than 30minutes.

If its raining when you arrive, you just wait until it stops. You only
need 10 minutes or less to feed the awning around the rail, after which
you can stay inside under cover to do the rest. Pegging out can wait,
if the wind is not blowing.

Taking it down (it doesn't rain that often), if it is raining or not, I
will wait until the awning has had the chance to dry out. I can only
think of one occaision in the last ten years when I have had to pack it
up wet and dry it at home later.

Old December 29th 03, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sigmund

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
Stewart wrote on 29/12/2003 :-
I'd appreciate your thoughts on all aspects from materials and fittings
to size and usability, and whilst I realise that size is probably a
matter of personal preference, is big necessarily better? Although a big
awning obviously provides more space, maybe that's countered by needing
two able-bodied adults to erect it or some other drawback? And what
about cost? Do you get what you pay for, or are you just paying for a
brand?

You will need at least one able bodied person plus at least one other
to feed it into the awning rail.

If you can find a Khyam awning they have a seperate gusset that runs through
the awning rail, one person can do it easily. The main awning then simply
zips onto it. Trouble is Khyam stopped making these and sold the business
to another firm who's name escapes me, though they are still around
somewhere.

If you go for a full awning the size of it will be determined by your awning
rail. If the awning size isn't mentioned in the handbook you can easily
measure it. First, make sure the caravan is level all round, then run some
string through the awning rail so that the string comes out at each end and
goes vertically down to the ground. The sum of all measurements, ground to
start of rail + length of rail + end of rail to ground, is the size of
awning you'll need. Be careful not to stretch the string while doing this
or you'll get a false measurement. You may not find an awning that is
exactly the size you need. In that case I'd go for one 'very slightly'
larger because, when pitched on a side-to-side sloping pitch, you'll have a
bit of extra fabric which, for 'down' slopes, will reach the ground rather
than leaving a gap at the bottom of the awning or, for 'up' slopes, can be
tucked away neatly.

Old December 29th 03, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ophelia

wrote:

| I'm going to buy my very first caravan next year (2004), a 4/5 berth,
| and it occurs to me that an awning might make it considerably more user
| friendly - somewhere to store cycles, hang wet clothes, leave muddy
| boots, etc, and possibly even to sit-out in. I've never been caravanning
| before and it's decades since I last went camping so I'm a little rusty
| too say the least. I wonder if anyone's got any useful tips or
| experiences on choosing an awning?
|
| I'd appreciate your thoughts on all aspects from materials and fittings
| to size and usability, and whilst I realise that size is probably a
| matter of personal preference, is big necessarily better? Although a big
| awning obviously provides more space, maybe that's countered by needing
| two able-bodied adults to erect it or some other drawback? And what
| about cost? Do you get what you pay for, or are you just paying for a
| brand?

I can not find how many watts these use.
For use in a van one must know how many hours they will run one off a

fully
charged 110 Ampere hour (1320 watt hour) battery.

LOL Dave are you sure you have responded to the right post?

Old December 29th 03, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

On 29/12/2003 Dave Fawthrop opined:-
Go out once or twice without an awning before you buy.
You will then know if you need one.
After 5 years with our van we are still thinking about one.

....and once you get one, you will wonder how you survived without one,
especially if you have kids or visitors drop in.

Only on brief overnight stops did we not erect the awning, it was so
indepensible. It seemed odd to use the 'van without it. It provides a
sheltered place from which to watch the world go by whether from the
sun or the rain. Warm enough to eat in most evenings in the summer and
a place to push the kids out to so meals in the 'van can be prepared
without interruption.

Old December 29th 03, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:38:02 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

| Taking it down (it doesn't rain that often), if it is raining or not, I
| will wait until the awning has had the chance to dry out. I can only
| think of one occaision in the last ten years when I have had to pack it
| up wet and dry it at home later.

Ah a summer time caravanner only.
When we were tenting we dried the tent *every* time we got home, there was
usually at least one damp bit. Maybe one time in 10 it was dry enough to
pack away, without risk of mildew.

Dave F