Foam filled jockey wheels?

Old May 3rd 18, 12:39 PM
The Wanderer The Wanderer is offline
Junior Member

Location: Brighton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
In article , DavidP
writes
On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 11:19:41 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Harry Bloomfield used his keyboard to write :
I am being driven nuts by pnuematic jockey wheels going flat and wonder
if anyone has tried the foam filled type as an alternative?

The one I am looking at, has a similar sized tyre to my pnuematic one,
but has a plastic centre/ hub with roller bearings. Are the plastic
ones strong enough?

As no one replied and I could not wait longer for comment, I ordered a
puncture proof foam wheel complete, which I fitted this morning. It
seems absolutely fine. I ordered this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380943015647?
_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEB IDX%3AIT
My removed wheel (a replacement) had been fitted with brass spacers on
the axle tube, obviously it had been a bit narrower than the original.
This one at 75mm wide, was a fraction wider, so I had to turn the
spacers down in the lathe. It has slightly less bounce than my pnuematic
wheel had, but certainly much better than a solid tyre over the pebbles
I park on, much less inclined to dig itself in. The plastic centre seems
strong enough for the job.

Hopefully an end to the constant problem of jockey wheels going flat.

I guess the lack of reply was due to lack of experience in the product.
Never having had a pneumatic, much less foam filled, jockey wheel tyre on
any 'van I certainly wasn't going to proffer an opinion. I'm interested
to note that you have found that solid tyres dig in - its not something I
can say I've ever noticed but, then again, I've never parked on loose
gravel.

Glad you found a solution that seems to work for you.

+1
--
bert

Hi there, I'm thinking the same thing as mine is going flat all the time and driving me nuts. More the problem is it coming off the rim I think, that happened before when I was in a field and it got caught in a tractor's old tyre tracks.
Has anyone tried a normal but wider wheel alternative? I can only see Kartt do them but can't track down where to buy one yet. (under their commercial range/48mm/wide wheel www.kartt.com ). Could be a good happy medium. Those Alko all plastic one's are a rip off and are unforgiving over stones etc.

Last edited by The Wanderer : May 3rd 18 at 12:47 PM. Reason: the link didnt seem to work?