Boxing Day Hunt

Old December 29th 03, 03:46 PM posted to demon.local,uk.media.dvd,uk.rec.caravanning
Philanthropist Kyle

Default Boxing Day Hunt

Neil Barker vomited Boxing Day Hunt onto my velour:

In article: Malcolm Ogilvie
writes:

In article , Neil Barker
writes
In article: s.wlan
Chris Lawrence writes:

I'm all for hunting fox hunters. Turn them loose for two minutes then
set a pack of wild dogs on their arses.

Oh indeed. I'd give them ten minutes start before I'm allowed to hunt
them with my rifle. That'd be fun - no-one runs faster than a Remington
high velocity round.

Are you allowed to take your rifle away from the shooting club?

Yes - it's currently 3ft away from me, in my office :-)

To put that in perspective, it's actually in a Brattonsound Sentinel gun
safe, which is built like the proverbial brick-outhouse and is well and
truly bolted to the wall - it's going nowhere. The safe is designed to
store 7 guns (you always buy one much bigger than you ever think you'll
need - things have a habit of changing....) and has a locking top-box
inside the main compartment designed for ammunition storage.

People who have Firearms Certificates (FACs) generally do store their guns
at home in approved safes - clubs don't really have the facilities to
provide secure storage for individual rifles etc. My club currently has
some 300 members and providing individual lockable storage for each one
would be a nightmare to implement. Storing them in a gun room would then
require permanent staffing, otherwise how would you restrict access to a
person's own guns ?

The way FACs work allows for any one of, or all three ways:-

1) Approved for shooting on any military approved range.

2) Shooting on land where you have permission to shoot and has also
been inspected by the Firearms Licensing Authority.

3) "Open stalking" where you have permission to shoot anywhere you have
permission to shoot and you consider safe.

The latter is naturally the least common, as you are being entrusted to
make your own decisions as to safe areas to shoot with whatever calibre of
rifle you own.

Most people who are members of clubs have option 1, myself included - all
gun clubs are 'military approved ranges' which means I can legally shoot at
any gun club in the UK (and Europe if I obtain a European transit
certificate). At the moment I have no need or desire to go 'bunnying', but
I can change it relatively easily to option 2. You only get option 3 after
a few years ownership, assuming you have demonstrated a responsible
attitude etc.

At present, I have the one rifle - a Sako Finnfire Range, a bolt-action .22
rifle. Sako is a Finnish manufacturer of very high quality rifles and in
its class, it's about the best there is. Whilst it wasn't cheap, I chose it
as it needs absolutely no work at all and works perfectly 'out of the box',
unlike many cheaper rifles where you can buy one for say 200 quid and then
spend another 400 getting it right ! It is the little brother (and shares
the same action) of other Sako larger calibre rifles such as the TRG-S,
TRG-22 and TRG-42.

http://www.sako.fi/rimfire_range.html

One of the good things about .22 rifles is the sheer amount of different
ammunition available and also how cheap it is. An average price for a 50
round box is 2.50-4 quid and thus once you've paid for your certificate
(50 quid), safe (150 quid), rifle (anything from 150 quid upwards - mine
was 530) and scope (30 quid to 2000 quid) then it becomes a relatively
cheap hobby.

There is a standing invitation to any d.l. regular (****wits obviously
excluded unless they wish to volunteer to be target-holders) to come and
try shooting at a guest day at the club. We have about 10-12/year, where
non FAC holders and non members can shoot under supervision.

When you apply for a FAC, you have to list what guns you intend acquiring
in the future (a FAC last for 5 years, but making changes involves what is
called a 'variation' and costs 26 quid each time, thus you put down what
you think you might want). At present, my FAC lists 2x.22 rifles, a Section
1 shotgun, a Black Powder Muzzle loading rifle and pistol and a .357/.38
calibre rifle.

The shotgun will probably be my next acquisition so I can go clay pigeon
shooting with some friends and also participate in 'Practical Shotgun' at
the club. It's a 'Section 1' shotgun, which means any kind of shotgun at
all. Normal shotgun certificates restrict you to one that can only hold a
maximum of 3 cartridges, whereas Section 1 entitles me to have an
over/under or side by side, a pump-action, or a semi-auto which can hold
10 plus cartridges, together with thr ability to buy 'solid slug'
ammunition rather than just normal lead/steel shot.

I have my eye on a nice Beretta semi-auto. Now all I need is about 800
quid....

In other words "I am Neil Barker and my penis is very small. Also I am
incredibly boring".

--

Phil K.

http://philkyle.thrill.to