Wiring Mains

Old December 29th 03, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
GrahamW

Default Wiring Mains

I've been "volunteered" to help a neighbour wire mains electric into his
aging Monza.
I have a 15 amp RCB from another job which I'm going to wire the mains
through.
He wants 3 sockets fitting into his 'van.
Should I wire the sockets as a ring main or would separate lines from the
RCB to each socket be the best way to do it?
Also, I've got an old Zig unit from a scrapped 'van. If I fit this should I
wire it into the ring or does it need a separate RCB.

TIA Graham

---

Old December 29th 03, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:14:53 -0000, "GrahamW" wrote:

I've been "volunteered" to help a neighbour wire mains electric into his
aging Monza.
I have a 15 amp RCB from another job which I'm going to wire the mains
through.
He wants 3 sockets fitting into his 'van.
Should I wire the sockets as a ring main or would separate lines from the
RCB to each socket be the best way to do it?
Also, I've got an old Zig unit from a scrapped 'van. If I fit this should I
wire it into the ring or does it need a separate RCB.

TIA Graham

Hi,
To comply with IEEC regs you also need to fit at least 1 MCB, Normal
arrangement is to fit one 5 amp & one 10 amp MCB.
5 amp to feed the fridge & battery charger, 10 amp for the mains
sockets. Standard practice is to wire as a radial circuit using 1.5mm
sq. flex. As the current is limited by a 10 amp MCB no need for a
ring.

Lenny