Scotland and midges (again - sorry)

Old December 30th 03, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob Edwards

Default Scotland and midges (again - sorry)

I apologise in advance for raising this issue again - I don't want to start
a great debate about how best to protect against midges - I would just like
a consensus of opinion on when is the best time to visit Scotland so that
you avoid the blighters as much as possible.

We can go at any time (recently retired) and from previous posts I remember
people saying that May or possibly September would give the best chance of
reasonable weather and less midges. Am I correct?

We intend to travel up the west coast and so far the only place we have
identified as a starting point is Oban.

Any good advice please?

Bob

---

Old December 30th 03, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Bob Edwards" wrote in message
I apologise in advance for raising this issue again - I don't want to

start
a great debate about how best to protect against midges - I would just

like
a consensus of opinion on when is the best time to visit Scotland so that
you avoid the blighters as much as possible.

Winter

We can go at any time (recently retired) and from previous posts I

remember
people saying that May or possibly September would give the best chance of
reasonable weather and less midges. Am I correct?

Weather's never reasonable in Scotland and May (also June) is dreadful for
midges, don't know about September

We intend to travel up the west coast and so far the only place we have
identified as a starting point is Oban.

Go as far north west as you can, that's where the scenery gets spectacular.
You wont be able to see it however because of the appalling weather.

Any good advice please?

Get in and out as quickly as you can then go somewhere with decent weather
and no midges. The midges make it intolerable.

Rgds

Andy R

Old December 30th 03, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Helen K

Yes, Ayr is worth a visit. The site is good, the river walk is lovely, and
of course there are lots of interesting places around, including a trip to
Glasgow.

My next stop would be at Arrochar (known for midges but still a great halt
in my opinion) THEN head for Oban area.

I would recommend May, June as the best chance of avoiding the midges, but
don't let them spoil your holiday. Do what we Scots usually do and avoid the
warm, moist places going instead for warm and dry. I've never seen a midge
in the city.

Have a great time and let us know when you'll be back again after the
proposed trip !!

Helen K

Old December 30th 03, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:02:47 +0000 (UTC), "Bob Edwards"
wrote:

| I apologise in advance for raising this issue again - I don't want to start
| a great debate about how best to protect against midges - I would just like
| a consensus of opinion on when is the best time to visit Scotland so that
| you avoid the blighters as much as possible.
|
| We can go at any time (recently retired) and from previous posts I remember
| people saying that May or possibly September would give the best chance of
| reasonable weather and less midges. Am I correct?
|
| We intend to travel up the west coast and so far the only place we have
| identified as a starting point is Oban.

Go now before the midge season ;-)

Dave F

Old December 30th 03, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:16:48 -0000, "Andy R"
wrote:

"Bob Edwards" wrote in message
I apologise in advance for raising this issue again - I don't want to

start
a great debate about how best to protect against midges - I would just

like
a consensus of opinion on when is the best time to visit Scotland so that
you avoid the blighters as much as possible.

Winter

This would be the only time to avoid the midges.

We can go at any time (recently retired) and from previous posts I

remember
people saying that May or possibly September would give the best chance of
reasonable weather and less midges. Am I correct?

Weather's never reasonable in Scotland and May (also June) is dreadful for
midges, don't know about September

The weather in Scotland is frequently fantastic and any time from
mid-may to late September can be midge infested. If the weather is
warmish and damp the midges will be there.

We intend to travel up the west coast and so far the only place we have
identified as a starting point is Oban.

Go as far north west as you can, that's where the scenery gets spectacular.
You wont be able to see it however because of the appalling weather.

Start at Oban and go up through Fort William then up through Kyle of
Lochalsh onto Skye it's a wonderful place and most of the time the
weather is pleasant somewhere along the coast. A trip round the coast
up from Kyle of Lochalsh to Shieldaig is breathtaking but don't take a
caravan with you but the road from Kyle to Shieldaig direct is an OK
trip with a van. Then onto Kinlochewe and Gairloch and Ullapool is
another superb trip again passable with a caravan behind. The site at
Kinlochewe is in the middle of nowhere but the bread from the village
shop is freshly baked and wonderful. We didn't like the CCC site at
Gairloch but that is just a matter of taste it didn't suit us. On the
way back down you are spoilt for choice, The ride down the A9 is
pleasant and very easy, but if you did this you would miss out on the
ride through Glencoe and then across rannoch moor which IMO is worth
the trip up north for this alone. Above all enjoy yourself.

Any good advice please?

As far as possible keep your arms and legs covered, keep the awning
doors shut if there are midges around, I managed 10 days on Kinlochewe
site without a single bite in May this year and the midges were
swarming something shocking. Then I pulled the awning down initially
covered up with a cagoule on, but when I got too hot I took it off.
The following morning I had about 50 bites on each arm.

Get in and out as quickly as you can then go somewhere with decent weather
and no midges. The midges make it intolerable.

The midges are a pain, but to see Scotland is an unmissable event.

Lots of the East coast are pleasant as well. We have had some great
times at the CC site Yellowcraig at North berwick which is officially
the UK's driest town. Then Braemar is definitely worth a short visit.
Slightly further South the Mull of Galloway is a serene and wonderful
place, the CC's site at new England Bay is right on the beach and the
whole area is teaming with wildlife.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old December 30th 03, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

wrote:

Any good advice please?

Get in and out as quickly as you can then go somewhere with decent weather
and no midges. The midges make it intolerable.

I agree with Andy & also take the advice of most Scotsmen They say
"The only good thing to come out of Scotland is The Road South"

Lenny

Old December 30th 03, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Helen K" wrote in message

I would recommend May, June as the best chance of avoiding the midges, but
don't let them spoil your holiday. Do what we Scots usually do and avoid

the
warm, moist places going instead for warm and dry. I've never seen a midge
in the city.

I have never, ever, been bothered by midges in Scotland. I have caravanned
there and I have camped in tents and have been at all times of year.

Perhaps I'm just lucky.

It's not that insects don't like me, wherever else I am in warm weather I'm
eaten alive despite every possible measure to avoid them. Midges,
mosquitoes, greenfly (oh yes!), thrips and unidentifiable others all home on
in me. But not in Scotland.

I was warned about the midges in Iceland. Never saw a one there either.

Mary