Peak Season and Hay fever

Old December 30th 03, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lee_D

Default Peak Season and Hay fever

Ok I know it's the middle of winter but I'm trying to plan a summer break.
Being new to Caravanning and never travelling much I thought it worth
asking.

I get chronic Hay Fever (Grass not tree pollen) and wondered have any fellow
sufferes found particular locations better for there allergy such as
Scotland or Beach side hols.

Is France more of the same?

Anyone ?

Lee D

--
________________________________
www.lrproject.com

Old December 30th 03, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ophelia

Lee_D wrote:
Ok I know it's the middle of winter but I'm trying to plan a summer
break. Being new to Caravanning and never travelling much I thought
it worth asking.

I get chronic Hay Fever (Grass not tree pollen) and wondered have any
fellow sufferes found particular locations better for there allergy
such as Scotland or Beach side hols.

Any countryside could be a trigger for your allergy. The sea is better..
whether it be Scotland or France

Always depends what you are allergic to. I suffer from allergies too and
take my antihistamine regularly when needed and I manage

Is France more of the same?

No idea

Ophelia
Scotland

Old December 30th 03, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Lee_D" ecoat.co.uk wrote
in message ...
Ok I know it's the middle of winter but I'm trying to plan a summer break.
Being new to Caravanning and never travelling much I thought it worth
asking.

I get chronic Hay Fever (Grass not tree pollen) and wondered have any

fellow
sufferes found particular locations better for there allergy such as
Scotland or Beach side hols.

No idea but I'm delighted that someone actually understands his/her
condition and doesn't blame impossible sources!

Mary

Old December 30th 03, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Lee_D posted ...

Ok I know it's the middle of winter but I'm trying to plan a summer
break. Being new to Caravanning and never travelling much I thought
it worth asking.

I get chronic Hay Fever (Grass not tree pollen) and wondered have any
fellow sufferes found particular locations better for there allergy
such as Scotland or Beach side hols.

Is France more of the same?

Anyone ?

Lee D

I have perennial rhinitus .. effectively same symptoms as hay-fever, but all
year round. It's like an allergy to airborne small particulate .. ie very
fine 'dust', like pollen, mushroom spores, any sort of aerosol spray
whatever the actual content, effectively all airborne (breathable) matter
that order of size can give me allergy type symptoms such as sneezing, runny
nose, dry eyes etc etc.

I find almost _any_ seaside or close to the sea area is beneficial to me,
especially those close to mountains or hills that are almost guaranteed to
have a breeze ..

France is no different to me than anywhere else I've been, though I guess
true Hay-Fever sufferers may say differently ..

--
Paul

Old December 30th 03, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gary Pike

This may not be the reply you were looking for, but I saw a programme where
a guy ingested hook worms as he believed it would cure his hay fever (he was
a micro biologist or something), and sure enough it worked.
The programme looked at how, in the Western World, we no longer have
parasites living in us, so our bodies have to attack something else and this
is why today we all have so many allergies.

Gary

"Lee_D" ecoat.co.uk wrote
in message ...

Old December 30th 03, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Gary Pike" wrote in message
This may not be the reply you were looking for, but I saw a programme

where
a guy ingested hook worms as he believed it would cure his hay fever (he

was
a micro biologist or something), and sure enough it worked.
The programme looked at how, in the Western World, we no longer have
parasites living in us, so our bodies have to attack something else and

this
is why today we all have so many allergies.

Several years ago a physician at the Liverpool Tropical Medicine hospital
worked this out, he noticed that people who drink Ganges water, probably the
filthiest and most bacteria ridden in the world, didn't suffer from several
parasites. He suspected that only one tape worm could live in the gut, that
it wouldn't tolerate anything else.

So he went to India, swallowed - or otherwise ingested - a tape worm and
drank filthy Ganges water daily. He had no bad effects at all, not a symptom
of any illness nor parasite.

When he got back he was purged of his tape worm and was living very
healthily afterwards.

Even in Liverpool ;-)

The Fishers don't have allergies or food intolerances and we rarely get ill
apart from wearing out processes and dramatic conditions. That's the only
way you get sympathy ... We're certainly not fussy eaters or over hygienic,
the adage about eating a peck o' muck seems to have worked.

But even in the western world we have very many parasites living in and on
us. We just can't see them so aren't aware of them. If you saw films of what
live in your eyelashes you'd be fascinated.

Mary

Old December 30th 03, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 20:25:52 -0000, "Lee_D"
ecoat.co.uk wrote:

I get chronic Hay Fever (Grass not tree pollen) and wondered have any fellow
sufferes found particular locations better for there allergy such as
Scotland or Beach side hols.

My eldest daughter suffers chronicly, most pollens effect her she
suffers from March right through to the end of September.
Our house is only about 200 yds from the Beach in Sussex.

Mainland Europe has much lower a pollen count than the UK, we find
once we across the water be it France, Italy anyware on the mainland
life is much more pleasant for her.

Lenny
Old December 31st 03, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon Hawthorne

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:14:03 +0000, Lenny
wrote:

My eldest daughter suffers chronicly

I also suffer badly and have to resort to an injection from the doc
just to be able to continue to drive/work. This year even that had to
be helped by tablets/drops. I think the injection is of Kenalog.

Having said all this - neither Cuba or India have caused me the
problems I get in the UK - both by the sea....

S.

Old December 31st 03, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Hi

I sympathise with you I have had chronic hay fever and asthma for over 20
years. I have learnt from experience to plan my caravanning around it i.e.
avoid places like Yorkshire at peak pollen months, go there early or late
season. I find during peak hay fever months the coast is better particularly
the south coast. I have no idea why but the south coast always seems to be
easier on my symptoms than the west - Wales, north west - Southport etc, or
east - Scarborough, East Anglia.

The worse places for me, although I love them, are Yorkshire, the Peaks and
particularly Easr Anglia - I think it is so flat the pollen travels on and
on and on!

On a side note, I normally take antihistamines for at least six months of
the year, however, after seeing a homeopathic doctor (who is also a GP) two
years ago, I now only need antihistamines for about 3 months and my symptoms
are dramatically reduced. I also no longer take any asthma medication,
previously I had taken medication daily for about 15 years.Curiously I had
tried homeopathic treatments from my local health food store without much
luck a number of times.

Enjoy your caravanning.

"Lee_D" ecoat.co.uk wrote
in message ...

Old December 31st 03, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
M.H. Greaves.

Its funny, i can go caravanning, and i can sleep in the inner tent (in
season!) yet because of hay fever and athsma, i cant sleep in a tent! its
weird!