Blocking senders

Old December 31st 03, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
G3ROL

Default Blocking senders

My problem is that I am blocking ALL unwanted spam, but it appears that some
genuine members are replying to spam, therefore they are blocked also. STOP
answering these idiots please.

G3ROL

Old December 31st 03, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 11:51:12 +0000 (UTC), "G3ROL"
wrote:

| My problem is that I am blocking ALL unwanted spam, but it appears that some
| genuine members are replying to spam, therefore they are blocked also. STOP
| answering these idiots please.

Someone else who uses absolutely idiotic rules. :-(

Dave F

Old December 31st 03, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

G3ROL wrote:

My problem is that I am blocking ALL unwanted spam, but it appears
that some genuine members are replying to spam, therefore they are
blocked also. STOP answering these idiots please.

G3ROL

AIUI, blocking a spam sender will not automatically block messages from
those who respond - unless you happen to select one of these responses
rather than the original message when invoking "Block Sender".

When you look down the list of messages, it's pretty obvious which is the
spammer - because there will be dozens of messages from the same sender. As
you will have seen, the idiot who is spamming this NG keeps changing his
address - so each time that happens, you need to select one of the messages
and block that particular manifestion of the idiot's ID.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old December 31st 03, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
James W. West

"Hitch Lock" wrote in message
G3ROL wrote:

[...]

Different strokes for different folks as the saying goes. I have been on
usenet on an almost daily basis since 1995 using outlook express and I have
never blocked anyone. I am a relative newcomer to URC however, and have
never seen such a determined attempt to overwhelm a newsgroup.

I scan headers and if I see some of the usual suspects or off-topic subjects
I right click and then click on 'mark conversation as read.' Repeat
half-a-dozen times and I am left with everything I want to read.

One of the biggest things is not letting it bother you. People who become
angry at trolls allow it to become very personal. They take every stupid
post as a personal affront, somehow designed to ruin their day. If you then
respond you can become a target for personal attack because the person knows
they are able to get a response. Try and step back a bit- look at it as a
minor nuisance rather than an assault on the very fabric of society.

James

Old December 31st 03, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
G3ROL

[...]

Thanks James, That's much more helpful than sarcastic remarks from Dave F!
I'm fairly new to this sort of thing so HELPFUL advice is greatly received.
I understand what you are saying and I will give it a go.
Thanks again G3ROL

Old December 31st 03, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

| Thanks James, That's much more helpful than sarcastic remarks from Dave F!

But I thought you had killfiled me.

Dave F
Old December 31st 03, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
G3ROL

No, I'm now taking the HELPFUL advice from James, I've started by emptying
my blocked senders (Except for EDITH Fawthrop!?)

You need to chill out Dave or you'll have a breakdown or a thrombo!
Take a holiday and relax.

G3ROL

news

Old December 31st 03, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:33:38 +0000 (UTC), "G3ROL"
wrote:

| No, I'm now taking the HELPFUL advice from James, I've started by emptying
| my blocked senders (Except for EDITH Fawthrop!?)
|
| You need to chill out Dave or you'll have a breakdown or a thrombo!
| Take a holiday and relax.

You say that to a caravanner who spent 5 mins this morning getting the car
windscreen clear enough to drive. Hmmmm

| "Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
| news |
| | Thanks James, That's much more helpful than sarcastic remarks from Dave
| F!
|
| But I thought you had killfiled me.

These threads are very interesting. I will have to add another section to
my killfile FAQ about what killfiles can do. They all do different
combinations of things, and call the same function by different names.
Writing that section will not be easy.

Dave F

Old December 31st 03, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

| No, I'm now taking the HELPFUL advice from James, I've started by

emptying
| my blocked senders (Except for EDITH Fawthrop!?)

I've been here a while and still don't understand how to properly deal with
spam and trolls.
I know who are the idiot senders now so just ignore them. If a stupid
question appears from someone we havn't seen before I ignore that too.
Same with unsolicited mail and porn. Just delete it as fast as it arrives.
Virus checker keeps nasties at bay.
Time for a change of email identity though I think. Possibly a reformat too
as the kit is over two years old.
DaveK.

Old December 31st 03, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

Default Blocking senders- Happy New Year

--

"G3ROL" wrote in message
My problem is that I am blocking ALL unwanted spam, but it appears that

some
genuine members are replying to spam, therefore they are blocked also.

STOP
answering these idiots please.

G3ROL

I do sometimes wonder whether its the spammers and trolls we need to worry
about! There is a lot that people have to learn about the internet but once
you get the hang of it they realise that a few simple steps can minimise the
annoyance. Perhaps we should all make a New Years Resolution to be
sympathetic to users of the this group, avoid being self righteous, avoid
being pedantic and avoid jumping to conclusions about someone's intentions.
Some hope!!!!

Happy New Year.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk