How to block cross posters?

Old January 2nd 04, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Edd Berresford

Default How to block cross posters?

On Outlook Express?
Edd

Old January 2nd 04, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 09:12:32 -0000, "Edd Berresford"
wrote:

| On Outlook Express?

With nfilter/News Proxy

Dave F

Old January 2nd 04, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Edd Berresford posted ...

On Outlook Express?
Edd

Configuring Outlook Express 6 to use NewsProxy / NFilter ...

Credit goes to the following sites from where I gathered, and have used a
lot

of information ..
http://web.archive.org/web/200210130...r.org/faq.html
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/davidgb/x_setup11.html
http://troll-busters.0catch.com/alt/download.html from where it may be

downloaded ..

After downloading and installing NewsProxy / Nfilter ..

Installation & Configuration
2.1 How do I install nfilter?
Newer versions of nfilter (now called NewsProxy) are self-installing using

InstallShield. Just download the installation file from the web page and run

the application. It will take care of the rest of the process for you.

After installation, you need to do some configuration of nfilter.

For most purposes, the only information you need to change in the

configuration file is the "NewsServer" entry. Set this to the name of the
news

server you normally read news from.

See 2.5 for more information on configuring.

2.2 How do I run it?
If you selected the defaults while installing nfilter, then a short cut has

automatically been created from your start menu. Click "start", select

"programs", then "Newsproxy" and then click the newsproxy icon. Before

you use NewsProxy you should confired the name of your news server in the

configuration/network panel. The fields are as follows:

server - The news server to connect to (eg. news.foo.com)

port - This optional field specifies what port to connect to on the remote

server. By default this is the nntp port (119).

listen port - This optional field specified which local port to listen to.
The

default is nntp (119), but if you wish to run multiple proxies (eg. for
multiple

news servers), you should set each one to listen to a different local port.

I needed to do no more than the above for it to work ..

Setting up Outlook Express 6

Assuming you are using news.individual.net as your newsserver ..

Right click on news.individual.net, select 'properties', select 'Server'
tab,

enter Server Name as 'localhost', instead of news.individual.net, but keep
'log

on' checked and the Account name and Password as they are for the

standard news server name.

Select 'Connection' tab, Add, 'Dial up to private network', General tab host

name needs to be '127.0.0.1', and check 'Dial another Connection First',

which is changed or kept to an existing Internet Account ..

I found no need to change any other OE settings ..

Use the above in conjunction with the FAQ's to configure NewsProxy at the

sites Bill has posted and all becomes clear ..

In Filters instead of using, for example,
* drop xref:*:*:*:*
I use
uk.rec.caravanning drop xref:*:*:*:*
uk.rec.caravanning drop newsgroups:*,*,*
which leaves all my other groups intact .. but kills the vast majority of

crossposts ... The same applies to any other scoring or rules you may wish

to add / use ...

A simple way to check it works is to remove the crossposters, or a couple of

them maybe, entries from your killfile, then right click uk.rec.caravanning,

select properties, select 'local file' tab then select 'reset' button ..
this resets

the group so that you need to download all headers and bodies again ..

When you do reload them all the message count starts at maybe 6000

messages, but as the crosspost filters 'kick in' the count drops rapidly.
Let

it run, then when it's all done, scroll back a way to see if any posts have
got

through .. if so you've done summat wrong, but persevere, it _is_ worth it

It _is_ a good feeling though to see that initial 6000+ count drop to 5000

then 4000 then to 3000 something posts ... Most satisfying ..

Hope it helps ..

--
Paul

Old January 2nd 04, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve W...

Any chance of posting a download link thats working or perhaps somebody
could post the file on a binaries group.

Thanks

Steve...

Old January 2nd 04, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Steve W... posted ...

Any chance of posting a download link thats working or perhaps
somebody could post the file on a binaries group.

Thanks

Steve...

Sorry about that .. I can't find where I originally downloaded Newsproxy
from, I've had it for quite a while now ...

All the nfilter.org links, for what used to be the home pages, are all down,
I guess it's no longer supported .. I _am_ looking for other sources ..

--
Paul

Old January 2nd 04, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian D

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 13:57:00 -0000, "Steve W..."
wrote:

Any chance of posting a download link thats working or perhaps somebody
could post the file on a binaries group.

What doesn't work?
There's nothing wrong with the internet archive version at

http://web.archive.org/web/200202080...120/np-120.exe

or wasn't earlier anyway.
If you're running Win XP, Win 2000 or Win NT you might have problems
in that the .exe file downloaded is a self extracting zip file, which
doesn't self extract on those platforms, and you'll get an error
message "not a valid win 32 file" or suchlike.
Just rename the extension from .exe to .zip and use winzip to extract
the individual files to the folder of choice.
That's all the self-extraction does anyway - there's no installation
process as such.

Cheers
Ian D
Old January 2nd 04, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Ian D posted ...

wrote:

Any chance of posting a download link thats working or perhaps
somebody
could post the file on a binaries group.

What doesn't work?
There's nothing wrong with the internet archive version at

http://web.archive.org/web/200202080...120/np-120.exe

or wasn't earlier anyway.
If you're running Win XP, Win 2000 or Win NT you might have problems
in that the .exe file downloaded is a self extracting zip file, which
doesn't self extract on those platforms, and you'll get an error
message "not a valid win 32 file" or suchlike.
Just rename the extension from .exe to .zip and use winzip to extract
the individual files to the folder of choice.
That's all the self-extraction does anyway - there's no installation
process as such.

Thanks for that Ian ..

--
Paul

Old January 2nd 04, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian McFarlane

In article ,
says...
Ian D posted ...

wrote:

Any chance of posting a download link thats working or perhaps
somebody
could post the file on a binaries group.

What doesn't work?
There's nothing wrong with the internet archive version at

http://web.archive.org/web/200202080...120/np-120.exe

or wasn't earlier anyway.
If you're running Win XP, Win 2000 or Win NT you might have problems
in that the .exe file downloaded is a self extracting zip file, which
doesn't self extract on those platforms, and you'll get an error
message "not a valid win 32 file" or suchlike.
Just rename the extension from .exe to .zip and use winzip to extract
the individual files to the folder of choice.
That's all the self-extraction does anyway - there's no installation
process as such.

Thanks for that Ian ..

I picked up on some earlier advice which mentioned the Gravity news
reader. Installed it a couple of days ago and have succesfully picked
off all the cross postings so I am happy that I can now just see the on
topic posts. Gravity seems a pretty good program, I had not heard of it
before. Took me a little while to configure the rules, filters and
layout settings but now I've done that I am very happy with it.

Thanks to whoever it was that mentioned it.

Ian
Old January 2nd 04, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Ian McFarlane posted ...

I picked up on some earlier advice which mentioned the Gravity news
reader. Installed it a couple of days ago and have succesfully picked
off all the cross postings so I am happy that I can now just see the
on
topic posts. Gravity seems a pretty good program, I had not heard of
it
before. Took me a little while to configure the rules, filters and
layout settings but now I've done that I am very happy with it.

Thanks to whoever it was that mentioned it.

Yeah, I've used Opera, Gravity Agent, Free Agent and may other newsreaders,
but honestly just like Outlook Express.

Frankly I preferred to keep the newsreader I like and configure it to work,
rather than having to change lots of things, just for a few kids who'll be
back at school soon anyway ..

--
Paul

Old January 2nd 04, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:55:53 +0000, Ian D
wrote:

Just rename the extension from .exe to .zip and use winzip to extract
the individual files to the folder of choice.

Just open it with winzip without renaming it, it works a treat.
(remove the spam to reply)