Towing with a Galaxy Tdi 115 Auto??

Old January 2nd 04, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Foxhunter

Default Towing with a Galaxy Tdi 115 Auto??

Hi all, can anyone advise if it is possible to tow an Abbey Spectrum 620
(2004 model) with a 2003 Ford Galaxy 115 Tdi Auto Ghia? The figures compute
according to dealer, but i was brought up with the fact that you do not tow
anything heavier than your towing vehicle? Does anyone have any experience
of towing with a Galaxy?

Tia
Dave

Old January 2nd 04, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Dave

Can tell you that the 2000 (new shape) 115 TDi manual Sharan (basically the
same as the Galaxy) is fantastic, but has a tendency to spin the front
wheels during wet hill starts. It is stable and pulls well on the motorway,
but slows on the longer hills (eg M5 northbound Jn 22 to 21)

Went for the "sport" version to give slightly stiffer rear suspension which
seems to work OK. We tend to get 40mpg avg solo and 27mpg towing. Guess the
auto will not be quite as frugal. For reference our caravan weighs 1280KG
(from memory)

What has happened to the Land Rover?

Frazer

2000 VW Sharan 115 Tdi
1979 88" Series 3 d
1991 90 Defender Tdi
1999 Yamaha R6
2001 Bailey Ranger 550/6

Old January 2nd 04, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Budgie

"Foxhunter" wrote in message
| The figures compute according to dealer, but i was brought up with the
fact that you do not tow
| anything heavier than your towing vehicle?

Don't trust the dealer - trust common sense. You know the answer already.

Budgie

Old January 2nd 04, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
wemfish

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 10:22:18 -0000, "Foxhunter"
wrote:

Hi all, can anyone advise if it is possible to tow an Abbey Spectrum 620
(2004 model) with a 2003 Ford Galaxy 115 Tdi Auto Ghia? The figures compute
according to dealer, but i was brought up with the fact that you do not tow
anything heavier than your towing vehicle? Does anyone have any experience
of towing with a Galaxy?

Tia
Dave

Should tow it fine, though I have heard reports of 12mpg when towing
that might put you off. . .
Old January 2nd 04, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Foxhunter

Still got Landrover Defender & VW Touareg V10 Tdi , SWMBO has now got a
Galaxy as needed more seats as has recently had another small addition to
family.

Dave

Old January 2nd 04, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

The simple do-it-yourself answer is to ascertain the kerbweight of your towing
vehicle. If this is more than the caravans loaded weight then you should be OK .
If the kerbweight is less than the loaded caravan then you should not consider
the combination as you will be limited to 40mph maximum by law.

Cheers, Peter.

"Foxhunter" wrote in message
: Hi all, can anyone advise if it is possible to tow an Abbey Spectrum 620
: (2004 model) with a 2003 Ford Galaxy 115 Tdi Auto Ghia? The figures compute
: according to dealer, but i was brought up with the fact that you do not tow
: anything heavier than your towing vehicle? Does anyone have any experience
: of towing with a Galaxy?
:
: Tia
: Dave
:
:

Old January 3rd 04, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
QrizB

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 00:34:02 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Milnes"
wrote:

If the kerbweight is less than the loaded caravan then you should not consider
the combination as you will be limited to 40mph maximum by law.

You still can't substantiate this claim, because it's not true.

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old January 3rd 04, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
M.H. Greaves.

If the wheels spin at the front then it may be an idea to get spring
assisters fitted at the back!?

Old January 3rd 04, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

wrote:

If the kerbweight is less than the loaded caravan then you should not consider
the combination as you will be limited to 40mph maximum by law.

Peter we are back on this totally untrue claim. Again the restrictions
are for a driving license issued before 1997 that the towed weight
does not exceed the manufacturers stated limit and that the total
weight of the car and the caravan does not exceed the maximum train
weight specified by the manufacturer. Providing both these conditions
are met the maximum speed allowable is 60 MPH. If you do not meet
these limits then the max speed allowable is zero mph. For a license
issued post 1997 the limits are the same plus a driver may not tow a
trailer that exceeds the max gross weight of the car up to a maximum
train weight of 3500kg and the spped restrictions are a maximum of 60
mph if the conditons are met and zero mph if they are not.
There are no other exceptions and there is definitely no 40 mph
condition.

(remove the spam to reply)