Filtering using OE6 and NewsProxy ..

Old January 2nd 04, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Default Filtering using OE6 and NewsProxy ..

Configuring Outlook Express 6 to use NewsProxy / NFilter ...

Credit goes to the following sites from where I gathered, and have used a
lot of information ..
http://web.archive.org/web/200210130...r.org/faq.html
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/davidgb/x_setup11.html
http://troll-busters.0catch.com/alt/download.html from where it may be
downloaded ..

2.1 How do I install nfilter?
Newer versions of nfilter (now called NewsProxy) are self-installing using
InstallShield. Just download the installation file from the web page and run
the application. It will take care of the rest of the process for you.

After installation, you need to do some configuration of nfilter.

For most purposes, the only information you need to change in the
configuration file is the "NewsServer" entry. Set this to the name of the
news server you normally read news from.

See 2.5 for more information on configuring.

2.2 How do I run it?
If you selected the defaults while installing nfilter, then a short cut has
automatically been created from your start menu. Click "start", select
"programs", then "Newsproxy" and then click the newsproxy icon. Before you
use NewsProxy you should confired the name of your news server in the
configuration/network panel. The fields are as follows:

server - The news server to connect to (eg. news.foo.com)

port - This optional field specifies what port to connect to on the remote
server. By default this is the nntp port (119).

listen port - This optional field specified which local port to listen to.
The default is nntp (119), but if you wish to run multiple proxies (eg. for
multiple news servers), you should set each one to listen to a different
local port.

I needed to do no more than the above for it to work ..

Setting up Outlook Express 6

Assuming you are using news.individual.net as your newsserver ..

Right click on news.individual.net, select 'properties', select 'Server'
tab, enter Server Name as 'localhost', instead of news.individual.net, but
keep 'log on' checked and the Account name and Password as they are for the
standard news server name.

Select 'Connection' tab, Add, 'Dial up to private network', General tab host
name needs to be '127.0.0.1', and check 'Dial another Connection First',
which is changed or kept to an existing Internet Account ..

I found no need to change any other OE settings ..

Use the above in conjunction with the FAQ's to configure NewsProxy at the
sites Bill has posted and all becomes clear ..

In Filters instead of using, for example,
* drop xref:*:*:*:*
I use
uk.rec.caravanning drop xref:*:*:*:*
uk.rec.caravanning drop newsgroups:*,*,*
which leaves all my other groups intact .. but kills the vast majority of
crossposts ... The same applies to any other scoring or rules you may wish
to add / use ...

A simple way to check it works is to remove the crossposters, or a couple of
them maybe, entries from your killfile, then right click uk.rec.caravanning,
select properties, select 'local file' tab then select 'reset' button ..
this resets the group so that you need to download all headers and bodies
again .. When you do reload them all the message count starts at maybe 6000
messages, but as the crosspost filters 'kick in' the count drops rapidly.
Let it run, then when it's all done, scroll back a way to see if any posts
have got through .. if so you've done summat wrong, but persevere, it _is_
worth it ..

It _is_ a good feeling though to see that initial 6000+ count drop to 5000
then 4000 then to 3000 something posts ... Most satisfying ..

Hope it helps ..

--
Paul

Old January 2nd 04, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Default Filtering using OE6 and NewsProxy .. Updated a bit ..

Paul - xxx posted ...

Configuring Outlook Express 6 to use NewsProxy / NFilter ...

Credit goes to the following sites from where I gathered, and have
used a lot of information ..
http://web.archive.org/web/200210130...r.org/faq.html
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/davidgb/x_setup11.html

http://web.archive.org/web/200202080...120/np-120.exe
from where it may be downloaded .. This is a self-extracting zip file, so
may need to be re-named to a .zip extension to work correctly in XP, NT, W2K
etc .. Ack. Ian D.

--
Paul

Old January 2nd 04, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 12:39:36 -0000, "Paul - xxx"
wrote:

It _is_ a good feeling though to see that initial 6000+ count drop to 5000
then 4000 then to 3000 something posts ... Most satisfying ..

I set my newsreader to take URC from a different server last night as
an experiment, when asked to chack for new headers just after I had
subscribed it said that there were 16311 messages which when they
finally got through my nfilter, which cut out all crossposts, this
figure was down to 3325. Quite satisfying to know it works.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old January 4th 04, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Troll-Busters

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message ...
Configuring Outlook Express 6 to use NewsProxy / NFilter ...

Credit goes to the following sites from where I gathered, and have used a
lot of information ..
http://web.archive.org/web/200210130...r.org/faq.html
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/davidgb/x_setup11.html
http://troll-busters.0catch.com/alt/download.html from where it may be
downloaded ..

snipped

If filtering out crossposts is all you want to do then the anti
crosspost filters downloadable from
http://troll-busters.0catch.com/anti...post/sig-F.zip and
http://troll-busters.0catch.com/anti...post/sig-K.zip may be all
you need.

The enclosed Some_assembly_required.txt file contains the instructions
for activating these filters with our version of NewsProxy. If you
have the original NewsProxy then change the name of the filter files
from troll.sig to nfilter.dat.

hth

Old January 5th 04, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Burt

Paul

Many thanks for your postings on this subject (and the postings from others
on the same subject under different threads; Dave Fawthrop et al). I have
finally got round to setting this up and running today.

I got down from 5,388 to 2,190 posts on a full reset by setting up NFilter
to eliminate all posting that were cross-posted to more than 3 newsgroups.
I did this despite to clearing all my killfile entries.

It does take a bit of perseverance to get it working with XP and OE6, but it
is worth it.

Jim
Jim Burt

Remove REMOVE_TO_MAIL_ME to reply