Caravan Cover Problem ?

Old January 2nd 04, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

Default Caravan Cover Problem ?

Hi all,

Purchased a caravan (2000) model in June and have used it many times since
in all weathers without problems. Between trips it has sat without cover in
all weathers without problems.

About a month ago I secured a second hand breathable winter cover for my
model and had it on most of December. When I removed the same before going
on a New Year rally some water had dripped from three (in line and inside)
securing screws on the Fiama Roof Unit. During the rally we had a fair bit
of rain, absolutely torrential over night once, but as previously when in
use no problems at all.

Thinking about this I wonder if 'with the winter cover on' the conditions
became right to cause condensation on the inside of the roof vent which then
drained from the three internal screws described.

Anyone had similar experience(s) or any thoughts on the possible scenario
and best way forward?

Thanks ...... Richard

---

Old January 2nd 04, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kqr

In article ,
wrote
[...]

Condensation - given sufficient moisture available - will form at the
interface of warm [moist] air and colder air [less moist]. In this
case you mention, the exterior colder surface is sufficiently colder
than the interior so that rapid cooling by conduction causes
condensation at the boundry. [same effect on yer windies]

This is a problem that you will not cure or avoid unless you can do
the following:

1] Erradicate the moisture so that it cannot condense out.
2] Maintain the temperature in and out to the same value so that a
differential cannot exist.

Have you ever left partially full tins of paint in yer garage and
heard them pop on certain occasions? Or been into your garage to
discover that it is colder in than out? I am sure you have experienced
or noticed something similar. Well that is what is happening to your
van.

When the temp outside drops rapidly - too rapidly for the interior
temp to adjust - then you will get condensation. To avoid it, heat the
interior so that the air is always capable of holding whatever moisure
forms at the boundry layer and which will evaporate it quickly.

Alternatively, do not heat. Remove all loose articles from exterior
surfaces and ensure adequate ventilation. Make a mental note of large
temperature changes and occasionally open the van door and a window to
allow equal temperature.

Breathable Covers do not do much good overall except keep the van
clean. The membrane only works properly when the internal temp is
greater than the external temp [internal to the cover. Moisture wicks
out and in doing so expands the fibres making the cover water proof.
However, if the temp inside is cooler then a] It aint necessarily
water proof [manufacturers get around this by assisting the repellancy
with a chemical.] b] The moisture created inside cannot escape until
the temp differential is altered. The cover IMO actually causes
problem because it restricts aqequate air flow.

It's the same reason why many people do not put their cars into a
garage.

Since you have the cover already, I'd suggest that you take it off
once in a while on warmer 'drying days' [when your pathway dries
before lunch - this time of year] and give it a good airing. You might
also benefit from maintaining a low heat inside say - +4/5 deg C. Your
overnight heater [if you have the facillity] should do nicely.

My van has been out over three winters now. No moisture, condensation,
damp or any other nasty. In fact it's ready for habitation all the
time and the cost in lecky over three winters is a damn sight less
than the cost of a cover that don't stop condensation. [BTW be careful
not to get water or liquid on the underside and then have it freeze.
If you are unaware of it and mess about when still solid you can cause
damage.

HTH

[Ducks]

Old January 2nd 04, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
M.H. Greaves.

Its more likely to have happened before that and independently of the cover,
the cover is breathable, and although when i removed mine one afternoon in
sept it was wet under it there was no problem with the caravan or the cover
(the cover manufacturers state that the caravan should be washed prior to
the cover being fitted, without having to dry it off).
I'd suggest you check the seals around the roof unit, things on the roof
have a tendency to go without being seen, indeed when you consider that any
damage, more so with dampness, the damage appears on the inner surface long
after the actual damage has been done, i think i'd get the seal on the roof
vent thoroughly checked before anything else because if the caravan has a
leak at all the cover isnt really designed to stop it leaking, its meant as
an extra protection layer to the outside of the caravan, water will still
get in via the stitching, it does on mine, and in fact my bottom hem where
the elasticated corners are fills with water when it rains, and what i did
was go around the hem with a hole punch and make holes at about 1ft
intervals so the water can escape.
Make sure your cover is well secured, and not too baggy, if its too loose
it'll flap in the windy, and if it gets very windy it could get caught in
the wind, (a neighbour recently bought a brand new cover but hadnt secured
it properly - now its all ripped where the wind caught it and tugged about
at it). Make sure its not too tight or it will rip at the edges, or at the
bottom, where the ties are.
I have mine just right, not too tight, the bottom edge and the elasticated
corners under the caravan, and all the tie ends wrapped around and threaded
through to stop them hanging on the ground. Air can get in and circulate,
and when the wind blows on it the face into the wind flattens against the
caravan keeping the cover tight.
In summer i keep the cover on, and keep the curtains open, and i open the
sky lights to let air in through the caravan, this stops it getting too hot
in there.
Hope this helps, regards, Mark.

Old January 3rd 04, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the inputs ....... plenty of room for thought ...... Richard

---